Another Binge:( mini rant

Options
Hey guys. So after completely entirely letting myself go on Easter and eating thousands of calories worth of simple carbs and chocolates, I binged again last night, at a party. D: I had one piece of pizza, two, one cookie, more, one slice of cake, 3 slices of cake, etc.:( I just COULD NOT STOP. I feel awful because this past week I've been running ontop of doing p90x and I feel like I just reversed all my progress!! Plus, I've been trying to be really good because prom is in exactly one week from today, and I can't believe I binged again right after I promised myself I'd eat super good to make up for the Easter binge. Ugh. I've never felt so awful.

Had to let all that out. Thanks for reading...
Mae

Replies

• sarobando
    Options
    Don't worry, RattieLove :) One bad day doesn't spell the end of your new regimen, or undo all your previous hard work. Just because you indulged a bit over the Easter break doesn't mean you're back to square one. Put these couple of days behind you and start tomorrow afresh. Try not to compensate for the last few days by undereating or overexercising tomorrow. That'll just make you feel even more miserable and frustrated over what you've done. Just start afresh and stick to your healthy eating plan from now: starting with today! :)

Hope that helped!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    What's up with that? I want to know if there is science behind binging and therefore a way to just avoid it altogether by doing something, like eating more balanced meals or something.

Logically, it doesn't make any sense. However, one thing I know is that my biggest binges are when I am drinking alcohol. That's when I get really weak and just go for it. Otherwise, if I don't drink, I can stay very true to my mission. But, I tried giving up alcohol, and I was grumpy all the time.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I always have a hard time getting back on track after a big cheat day. Don't beat yourself up, and do better the next day. We're all human here.... I think?
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    At least you were at a party! Last night I had a huge bowl of cereal, then some ritz cheddar chips, then some taffy, then some candy, and then some chocolate.....with no "party" involved lol. Just a pity party on the couch all by myself :(. Then I wake up this morning feeling like crap, but determined to workout today.....as I sit on my *kitten* drinking coffee for the last two and a half hours.....Grrrrrr.......
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    According to my research, there is no real known cause of binging but it is generally observed during or after restrictive dieting. Moral of the story? Stop attempting to restrict foods. The more you do, the more you want them. Healthy, unhealthy, processed, unprocessed. These are words to make you avoid foods. Everything in moderation, even moderation. People are convinced (a lot of them on here) that they have a biological deficiency that causes them to binge. There is a biological factor for SOME but the chances of that are most likely slim.

In the end, behaviours (and environmental factors) are almost always at the forefront of obesity and eating disorders. Change the behaviour and you change the person. Behavioural modifications are difficult. I was a bad binge eater myself but I finally got to the point where I did not need to binge. Now I have $130+ worth of chocolate in my kitchen and I have zero temptation to eat it. Time, patience, and understanding of what constitutes a proper diet will lead to freedom.

Everyone is different, so how we get to that freedom will be different. Some of us may never be able to moderate but I believe most of us can. If I can do it then I believe anyone else can.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Don't worry, RattieLove :) One bad day doesn't spell the end of your new regimen, or undo all your previous hard work. Just because you indulged a bit over the Easter break doesn't mean you're back to square one. Put these couple of days behind you and start tomorrow afresh. Try not to compensate for the last few days by undereating or overexercising tomorrow. That'll just make you feel even more miserable and frustrated over what you've done. Just start afresh and stick to your healthy eating plan from now: starting with today! :)

Hope that helped!

Awww<3 thankyou:)
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I hate those days because then it takes me forever to get back on track!! At least you were smart and came here to vent about it and get support! You CAN get back on track and you WILL get back on track!!!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    About binging: restrictive eating does play a part in it, as do your emotions and how you cope with them. My suggestion - a book called "Intuitive Eating" It's an easy read, and if you're like me, you'll recognize yourself in the pages. It might make you feel better to know that so many people fall into roller coaster eating patterns. Recognizing the patterns and what may lay behind them puts knowledge and power in your hands! Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have found that I tend to get bingey if I workout too much. I would set a goal to burn 1000 calories and hit that a few days in a row and then bam, I would pig out. I ate really crappy about two weeks ago and since then I have kept my exercise to around an hour, and upped my calories as well. I just feel a lot more in control and balanced doing it that way. I was running on top on my turbofire/chalean extreme hybrid and that is when I would end up eating more. I don't know if it was because I think I deserved it or because I just put my body in a bad place and it was dying for something to eat. Maybe stick with the p90x schedule alone and try not to stress about it. I took a month off from the scale and it was the best thing I have ever done. I am less concerned with it now because I see the changes in myself and my energy level and that is really all that matters!