How did you do it? Im new at the weight loss journey

Options
For all of the many that have lost weight, that had a lot to lose, how did you get there? I mean like what kind of exercise did you do? I am asking because, I am at 298 and want to lose 140 pounds, and need some help...I Have been tracking all of my foods, but I know when you are out of shape, exercise can be hard. I tried Tae bo, but noticed that all of the people on fitness videos are already in shape. I found myself out of breath badly and my heart racing like crazy. I was interested in knowing what you all started off doing, as I said this is very hard for me, and a lot of the before and after pictures are motivating me to continue with this. I Admire all of your success and was just wanting some tips. Being a very heavy person, it is not simple to start of exercising. Anything or any advice would help me, and truly I would be so very very grateful.
thank you:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: by the way i think i accidently put this in the wrong category, i apologize

Replies

• Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't try to climb mount kilamanjaro when you're out of shape... Take it LITERALLY one step at a time. I've been out of shape and I've been in shape and now I'm out of shape trying to get BACK into shape.

Nothing is as important as NOT scaring yourself off of the track that you're on to health... DON'T overdo yourself. Don't try to LEAP before you walk.

Start your exercise journey off VERY slowly so that you get used to it and don't overwhelm yourself. Try walking at first... or do 10 minutes of your tae bo tape.

They always have in shape people on exercise videos because it's supposed to "motivate you" that thisis the result you can get if you live a life like that... it actually kinda does the opposite for me as well, another reason why I'm hesitant to go to a gym right yet because it's a little embarrasing to go there and wheeze in front of the "in shape" people that go there regularly lol

I've just started walking 30 minutes a day... push yourself, but not too far.. go a little further everyday. Or take it aw eek a time. Do spurts of running in between your walking. Get some small weights like 5 lb or 10 lbs to walk with and do some arm exercises. :)

Resistant bands are really awesome too. Or just to start out you can use canned goods too. All of these things I did in the past and had really good results with.

It's just really important to stay the course and not overwhelm yourself, especially since you have a long ways to go. I'm 212 and I'm trying to lose about 72 lbs this year (to get to my smallest figure ever! Big goal, it's scary!)

Good luck on your journey!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had little to no endurance because of my anemia. Do what you can. Even 5 minute intervals with 10 minute breaks between, if that's what you can do (which is what I really started at) is something.

I started with jumping jacks with an online stopwatch to time it, and would do 2 sets of 30 to record as a minute of jumping jacks. I also used Tiffany Rothe's workouts on Youtube, as they're only 10-11 minutes each, target specific groups, and are free. I had to pause them at first for breaks, but now I can do a few at a time and am on a roll. I started in January of this year, for reference.

I hope this helps a little. It really doesn't need to be balls out in the beginning. Just do what you can and let your endurance catch up to where you want to be. :heart:
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking. Start with 30 minutes a day, and go from there. Every week or so add another 5 minutes to it. Try to work up to walking at 3.5 miles per hour, that is a pretty steady clip and it will burn you 350 calories per hour. That might not seem like that much, but to begin with it is better than what you had before. When your condition improves you can always add other forms of working out.
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Pool! Good way to get in shape and it does not hurt like your bones or muscles like running.

Walking too, and 30 minutes a day is not that hard to get to. You can even split the time, like going for three times/10 min or two times/15 minutes. When you feel ready, you can try going uphill for a while.

Just go for what you love and what you'll be motivated!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has exercise DVD's that are great for beginners. You can do as little or as much as you want. When I started out, I began wearing a pedometer and aiming for certain step goals. It helped me to get some activity in without having to do more than I could handle. I take quick walks a couple of times a day at work, take the stairs, and park farther away in parking lots. It all adds up and once you start building endurance, you'll be ready to do more.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I cut out Alcohol and nearly all the cakes, biscuits and sweets/chocolate. I stopped drinking fruit juices, squashes, sodas and teas/coffees.

I'm going swimming 5 times a week when the little one is in school. Lots of walking too.

So far, so good. :wink:
  • Anne_face
    Options
    You definitely have to pace yourself. If you try to throw in all this exercising at once then you'll feel overwhelmed and you'll give up easily. Several years ago I lost 25lbs just by giving up soda! I was a huge Dr. Pepper drinker! I substituted soda for water. Water is free at restaurants and so I drank it with every meal. That alone will show results! It's okay to treat yourself too, just don't go overboard. So if you stop drinking soda during the week, allow yourself one on the weekend.

Everyone else is right about walking. Walk on your breaks at work. Bring a comfortable pair of shoes to work if you wear dress shoes. And just walk! Instead of sitting in a break room staring at the TV or texting, allow yourself some 'me' time. It's also nice just to get away from technology. And after dinner, walk too! Take your pet. Ask a loved one or friend or neighbor to go with. It's nice to have support.

Another piece of advice I have is substitution. Substitute breads for a healthier choice whether it be pita or whole wheat or whole grain. Try fat-free or low sodium when it comes to condiments or soups or yogurt. Cutting down a few calories here and there helps. Packing your lunch helps, too. You look forward to knowing what you're going to eat versus last minute and making a bad food choice. Same with snacks. Try fruit or vegetables. You don't have to necessarily eat rabbit food because there are so many choices these days!

Most importantly, don't give up. Okay, so maybe you made a bad lunch choice here and there. Or you didn't feel up for walking one day. Forgive yourself and find the motivation to keep going. I think that was the hardest part for me. I'd sit there and say 'well, I missed my run the last two days and I'm a loser so I'm just going to give up.' Now I'm a little less harsh on myself and more positive and confident. You can do it and there will always be several people in your personal life and online who are rooting for you. :)
  • ashleyhampton09
    Options
    thank you all for helping me out, i am going to try everyone of the tips, because it is hard lol, but then again who said weight loss was easy....i just know that if i continue to put it off the harder it is going to be, thank you again all of your responses have been very very helpful
  • ashleyhampton09
    Options
    that is why i will not attend a gym, because it is a bit embarassing
  • ashleyhampton09
    Options
    thank you, i checked out this youtube video and it seems like a really great one
  • joyharvey04
    joyharvey04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right start out slow. I went onto Craigslist and a stationary bought a bike for $20, I will put in my fav movie or watch my fav tv show and ride my bike, it doesnt make much noise either so when the baby is sleeping I can ride my bike. And since you are watching tv your mind focuces on the tv show versus how long you have been riding the bike. Water is also a key part, the standard is 8 glasses per day...I look at it this way 8 glasses is what a normal size person needs per day, I am double that size (255) so I try to drink atleast 12 glasses per day if not more. Some days when I am feeling sluggish I will chug a bottle of water and drink the whole thing within two minutes and then within 10 minutes I feel more awake. I hope this has helped some. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    that is why i will not attend a gym, because it is a bit embarassing

You just have to find the right gym- See if you have a planet fitness near you- they're international. The people at my gym are great! Staff is always kind and greet you when entering -say goodbye when leaving. There are a lot of "skinny people" but There are almost just as many heavier people, I've never had an uncomfortabloe moment at my gym (I'm almost 300 lbs) I've even had people try to show me easier ways to do some workouts. Best of luck to you!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When I first started I dug deep into the MFP message boards. Followed MFP plan and got off the couch. All the info you need is in the message boards. Use the search info for one heck of a great resourse.

Best of luck to you.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Walking...thats the only exercise I do. I have upped it to 3 x 30 mins walks each day and alsways eat back my exercise cals. I have some light weights which my hubby bought me at Christmas which I use to do some arm toning for 10 mins when I get back from my walks.

Good luck x
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    Hi! First of all.. if you need support.. add me! I know where you're coming from. I just restarted mfp about a month ago. I lost 30 lbs last summer and got off track.. but I'm back and keeping it off for good this time. My husband had a health scare and we were like ok this is it we can't keep doing this to ourselves.. that was March 16th. So here we are today and I'm down 11 lbs and I only started measuring myself 2 weeks ago and I've lost 5 inches total. I started out at my highest weight back into this journey at 280.4. I've got a long road ahead of me since my goal is 140. It's tough to believe when I got pregnant with my first child I was only 150 lbs and over time let myself get to this point... so anyway.. here's what I've been doing. ( this has been a lifestyle change for the whole family.. kids included ages 10, 6 and 3) First of all.. gave up pop!! It's made a huge difference in how I feel. I replaced it by only drinking water. I drink at least half of my weight in ounces of water. By drinking so much water I did not have the headaches or cravings. So, right now my goal is 135 oz of water a day. We eat a lot of chicken and vegetables. I love salads. Something my husband loves that I make him for lunch is a wrap using flatout bread (90 cal) laughing cow cheese wedge (35 cal) oscar mayer smoked turkey (3 slices 60 cal) mustard (0cal) then I'll usually add some veggies to it like lettuce, tomato, red onion and cucumber. It's soo good! I also make a taco soup thats low cal and high fiber.. it's a weight watchers recipe you can google it or I can send it to you if it something you're interested in. If you have a sweet tooth.. which I do.. and I'm trying so hard not to eat any type of junk. Which has been a tough battle with my kids having easter candy in the house.. I bought some fiber plus bars.. they are very good.. and honestly take care of the chocolate craving and give me a good amount of fiber.. I personally do not like fiber one.. I think they are gross! lol! So, for workouts.. here are some things I do. I walk around my neighborhood. I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, I play Just dance on the wii and I also use my wii fit for things like yoga. I've also got a few apps on my phone that I use to do crunches and push ups etc.. they basically just show you the proper way and keep track. When it came to doing Jillian Michaels at first.. I wanted to choke her when she'd say things like this is easy isn't it.. lol at first I could barely do a modified push up or do the jumping jacks for the whole time.. but I pushed through.. don't kill yourself trying but don't baby yourself either.. if you want results.. you've got to put the effort in. I'm at the point where I can do REAL push ups now.. not the modified girly ones lol I can keep up with the jumping jacks.. the jumping rope part still burns my legs but I'm making progress.. plus I've lost inches.. it's working.. slowly but surely it's working.. and if you just stick with it and get yourself moving.. you'll get there too. like I said if you need motivation or support.. I'm here and you can add me!
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and about 10 minutes on the elliptical. The treadmill hurt my feet and I had no idea at what pace to go up to. When I felt really comfortable with the elliptical...then I started doing 4.0 mph on the treadmill...and just kept going up.
    I also danced around at home...did jumping jacks. Whatever I could do.

I always recommend HIIT because it helped me SOOOO much. Works with any sort of cardio: warm up, go as fast as you can for 15-30 seconds, slow down for 1 min-1.5 min, repeat.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have about 80 pounds left to lose. I've lost 17 on MFP in a little less than 60 days, and almost 25 since I started working out last November. I started by walking on a treadmill, we have one at home. I could walk at a 2.0 for about 10 minutes when I started. I did that 3x a week at first, and worked my way up to 3.0 for an hour, 4 times a week. I also started a water aerobics class because it's easier on the joints. The class that I joined has a lot of women trying to lose weight, so it's not at all intimidating to be with in a group of large women!

Slow, slow, slow is the way to go. If you push to hard too fast, you will end up hating exercise and have a hard time motivating yourself to do it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!