Do you wait an hour after eating b4 drinking water?

Options
Just wondering if it's necessary as I always do. Thanks :drinker:

Replies

• walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Why,never heard this before. I drink water with each meal while I am eating.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    WHY???:drinker:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Something about diluting the digestive juices or somewhat. I never drink whilst eating. Correct me if I'm wrong though :smile:
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree - why? I can't eat without having something to drink along with it. I think I'd choke without water.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    no.
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    i have recently heard that that is not true and drinking while eating is actually good for you and helps the digestion process
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i'm curious what your reasoning behind this is? i drink it all the time don't go anywhere without it. and my friends laugh about how much i do drink before during and after meals but i find it helps fill me up so i don't eat as much.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I drink water before, during and after every meal - no waiting necessary. I've never heard of this suggestion, where did you come across it?

You can't dilute gastric juices for several reasons...

First, water is absorbed from the digestive tract quite quickly.

Second, your body has extremely fine tuned feedback pathways that keep the enzyme and pH at just the right level for each portion of your digestive tract.

Plus, your organs are on hand to produce and secrete acid and or enzymes as needed to make sure digestion occurs.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't go anywhere without some water with me. I wouldn't know what to do without it. I drink before, during, and after every meal. I've never heard of water hurting your digestion. I was always told it helped the digestion process.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I drink water while eating and all through out the day...:)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've never heard of this suggestion, where did you come across it?

Some so-called professional dietician woman told me that the digestive system would have to work too hard to squeeze the water out before using the food blah! blah!! blah!!! so anyway, I always wait an hour.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Only if you've had weight loss surgery and then it's still only a 30 minute wait.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So what do you drink with your meals? Soda, tea? I drink water.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    So what do you drink with your meals? Soda, tea? I drink water.

Nuffink (that's British slang for nothing btw :laugh: ) I drink water maybe 30mins BEFORE eating so I don't get thirsty then have to wait an hour afterwards but as you've all said it's not necessary, water galore :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this suggestion, where did you come across it?

Some so-called professional dietician woman told me that the digestive system would have to work too hard to squeeze the water out before using the food blah! blah!! blah!!! so anyway, I always wait an hour.

So called professional gives this person to much credit. This person is an actual idiot. Your digestive tract does nothing to push water out. Water leaves easily and automatically by osmosis.

You can see osmosis in action on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8acUE9Itw

it happens more quickly in the digestive tract because your cells are actively transporting nutrients from the digestive tract into the blood stream. This increases the osmotic potential and water passively moves into the bloodstream at the same time. It doesn't take any energy to absorb water from the digestive tract.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    i drink with the food, with out the food, before during and after the food. Actually the only think i had heard was that drinking water that was not ice cold would be better with your food. Not sure if that is true or not. I drink whatever comes out of the tap and if it's a hot day i drink ice water. I'm happy to get in all the water i can. But to each their own:)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I've just glugged down 500ml :drinker:
  • carameldelightonly1
    carameldelightonly1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm always drinking water, before, during, after...helps get your food down...I crave water all day..
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I always drink with food, just find it easier to digest the food. I always wait an hour before exercising though. Have never heard the water rule before.
  • Libb3C
    Libb3C Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have had weight loss surgery and this is a rule for us, stop drinking 15 minutes before and wait 30 minutes after eating. The story is before you eat it makes you full, after you eat it can a) push the food through too fast or b) make you feel sick. I follow the rule loosely and sip while eating if I need to. This is the only instance I have heard not to drink while/around eating.