planters fisciitis

Options
anybody experienced this or had problem with heal? For months now I have been having pain in my heal...if I rest my foot or first thing in the morning it hurts the worst...I've tried resting it for a week but it didn't help much...now its becoming a constant pain...i don't want to quit working out...any suggestions on how you healed you planters heal?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had PF and saw a sports physical therapist. What he did was ice the bottom of the foot, do aggressive deep massage of the area, and then re-ice. At night, I wore a leg splint to keep the foot flexed. Also, do calf stretches.
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    I have had this for a LONG time. I would ice my feet and take meds (aleve). Before you get out of bed in the morning or after sitting for a period of time (whenever it hurts the worst) flex your toes/feet to stretch out that tendon in the heel several times before attempting to walk. Also lots of stretching before exercising. I would also recommend seeing a podiatrist. I have had them do ultrasound on my heels, make special orthotics for my shoes, and putting injections in my heels. But first STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH!
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    See a prosthesis maker and have them make you an insert for your shoes. Sounds crazy, but they will make a mold of your foot and then make some inserts that will have you back on your feet in no time. :) Good luck!!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this also. What worked for me is if you freeze a water bottle then every night put your foot on it and roll it back and fourth. Also calf stretching, and no wearing of flat shoes ever or going barefoot. Takes a long time to heal. Good luck
  • Loriel
    Loriel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to do a mini triathalon every weekend along with other exercise. I was still 75 pounds overweight but was in great shape. I was running one day and experienced a pain and thought to myself "I have sprained my *kitten*". Turns out the medication I was taking destroyed part of my back which caused siatic pain. I had to stop running. As soon as I stopped I got planter fasciitis in both feet. I couldn't really walk for a year and experienced dreadful pain for almost 2 years plus I got the bonus of gaining an additional 40 pounds. It is a horrible thing to go through and I don't wish it upon anyone. I now have 135 pounds to lose and am in horrible shape. I want to start running again but am terrified that if I have to stop it will cause the plantar fasciitis again. Turns out that running was the only thing keeping my feet stretched out.

My husband built a contraption for me to stretch my feet. I would sit on the floor with a piece of plywood under me. At the end were a couple of those tie downs for securing cargo onto your vehicle roof top. I put a foot into each strap and tightened the strap enough to stretch them a bit. As i became accustomed to that stretch I would crank the tie tighter a little to stretch my foot more. That way I could sit and read or watch tv or whatever and not have to hold onto a strap to stretch the fascia. I don't know about anyone else but my arms got tired holding straps.

I know if my weight wasn't so high I wouldn't have had near the problem. The night braces are helpful but difficult to wear 2 at a time. The only way to wear both is to either sleep on your stomach with your feet hanging over the end of the bed or on your back in which case I snored (not a pretty sight).

Whatever you do, do the stretches, ice and anything else to get rid of it. I have heard of numerous people that dealt with it for years on and off until they finally lost weight. Not to say that thin people never get it but a great number of us are overweight. Just another reason to get healthy.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This worked for me (I have heel spurs and plantar fasciitis)- take max dose of over the counter timed release naproxyn until pain goes away completely. Stretch your calves/feet by flexing and pointing every day before you get out of bed and if you've been sitting for a long time. Any time you start to get the heel pain, go back on the naproxyn until it is better.
  • 14_cupcake
    Options
    hi hun, before having my baby i ran a chain of podiatory clinics, i used to charge alot for this advice but its all for free!
    plantar fasciitis is a problem with your tendon its like a rubber band running from your spine down the back of your leg then from your heel to your toes. it does hurt after periods of rest, like a sharp shooting pain. normally suffering in just the one foot. before you get up stretch the foot and leg out, defo roll your foot over an iced bottle of water, stand on the edge of a step and move gently up and down. as its summer try and get into some kind of sandal like a birkenstock. as this has the contoured footbed you need. you can get arch supports made to fit specifically for your foot, you can also pick them up at boots, not always recommened as theres no one there to fit them however i would give that a try first as its more cost effective, if you wish i can talk you through what to look for. and go into more detail, i just dont want to bore you!!! Claire