Sugar/carb withdrawls?

Options
I have the worst headache! I think its from changing what I am eating, please tell me this goes away! And how long does it take?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Replies

• indigenousnudity
    Options
    Hey there, I've been doing a low carb diet for awhile. How many carbs are you eating per day? If you are low enough, then the transition to burning fat for energy can be hard. People often call it the "keto-flu".

I'd recommend drinking some chicken broth to get rid of the headache, as well as eating more fat and protein.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Each person's reaction will vary in length. It took me a good three days to adjust.... When you finally stabilize, just make sure you get a good variety in when it comes to meal planning.
  • jonejenn12000
    jonejenn12000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all thanks for the reply's! I have it calculated around 250! Other than chicken broth what are good sources of the fat and protein?
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First of all thanks for the reply's! I have it calculated around 250! Other than chicken broth what are good sources of the fat and protein?

Peanut butter, avocados, almond butter, nuts, cheese....
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Avocados are fantastic- I usually have half of one for lunch with salsa...mmmmmm..... Lean red meat, turkey, nuts, all good. The headache and cravings Will go away and you will feel amazing when they do!! It is so worth it! Hang in there- you can do it :-)
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I went low carb for a month & I was insanely moody. I ended up giving up before it went away
  • aliciamerritt
    aliciamerritt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im no expert, but I believe you have to be eating less than 50 g carbs per dat to achieve ketosis. Low carb is considered anywhere between 50-100 g/day and "normal" should be between 100-150. 250 seems over the top and no way is it low carb...so probably not keto flu.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    The headaches will pass ;) your body is just adjusting...its like stopping drugs or alcohol...your body has to detox. Good luck!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    its like stopping drugs or alcohol...your body has to detox. Good luck!

It's nothing like that ... at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it were me? I'd add a half a cup of beans to my meals for a while. It helps.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ugh...I completely know what you mean. It took my body about three days to adjust. I had a headache, felt weak and sick to my stomach...very strange. I would also suggest maybe some chicken broth or a couple of crackers or something (I know crackers = carbs, but a couple should be okay).
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Peanut butter, avocados, almond butter, nuts, cheese....

Definitely these as well!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    its like stopping drugs or alcohol...your body has to detox. Good luck!

It's nothing like that ... at all.

yup.

(why are so many people kinda nutty when it comes to this whole 'detox' thing? I blame 'dr' oz..)
  • jonejenn12000
    jonejenn12000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! Need to hit up the store today so I will be picking up a bunch of fruit and veggies!