Favouritest, easiest, yummiest vegetable

Options
SnazzyTraveller
SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
Tired of the frozen peas! How do you guys fit your servings of veggies into the day?

Replies

• Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Spinach is easy plus can add onions to it! or on a lazy day tinned tomatoes cooked with sweetcorn in it :smile:

could go on love vegetables :flowerforyou:
  • Spinach!!! It is the best!
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    My go to snack is carrot sticks. If you have/make hummus they make a great pair.
  • robiney
    robiney Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I'm still asking this question ;)
    but seriously - my favourites include sugar snap peas (crunchy, sweet and low cal!), baby tomatoes (mmm!!), spinach (with a little bit of sundried tomato dressing!) and roasted zucchini. As you can see, most of my favourites involve zero preparation - I'm waaay too busy to try recipes and have them fail on me! so I guess I could use some tips too! haha
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Sugarsnap peas and cherry tomatoes - I eat them raw all day long.

Butternut squash, peeled, chopped into chunks, and roasted in olive oil.

Tenderstem broccoli, steamed.

Portobello mushrooms, grilled whole with black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

Asparagus. Steamed and served with a drizzle of melted butter and a sprinkle of sea salt.

Corn on the cob, steamed.

Red bell peppers, quartered and roasted with olive oil.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash!! it's what's for dinner!
    literally...tonight...makin' spaghetti squash...
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like cucumber with some vinegar. Bell peppers are good, and so are kale chips. I tried to make the kale chips on my own and they definitely didn't taste as good as the ones I got at the store.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    mushrooms, new fave kale, red peppers, tomatoes, salad, red onions, broccoli, spinach like most of them, great in stir fries, curries soups etc being vegan i try and eat more veg to fill me up instead of too many carbs :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli or cauliflower, haricots verts (skinny green beans eaten raw or steamed), grape tomatoes, baby carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, spring mix lettuce, celery

I LOVE veggies. :)
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to force myself. Some I enjoy much more than others...I try to eat a LOT of veggies everyday, so I eat themin various ways. I have a smoothie most mornings for breakfast, It ALWAYS has 3 packed cups of spinach, 1 cup almond milk, and 3 fruits...I mix and match those. I eat a lot of raw veggies throughout the day...I have raw broccoli and baby carrots for a snack (again every day) and salad for lunch most days. Then any vegetable cooked for supper. Honestly, there are days still that I nearly gag on my raw broccoli...and I actually like broccoli...but I want so badly to get off my blood pressure meds and I figure the veggies are better to choke down daily than a manmade pill! Good luck!
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    Asparagus and Zuchinni are my go to veggies! If you are on pinterest I would suggest looking up recipe's how to make them, they have a lot of awsome suggestions. Also carrot sticks and celery with yogurt dressing is super yummy.:smile:
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Raw and boiled carrots. Steamed sweetcorn, urm raw baby sweetcorn, raw broccoli, steamed cauliflour, I love peas aswell. To be honest I love most vegetables, except spinach well cooked spinach anyways, I'm trying it raw tomorrow hm.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    raw mushrooms, baby carrots, or cabbage. I also love cutting up a whole squash and keeping it in tupperware so I can bake it whenever I want very quickly. :)
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love sliced peppers, carrots, cucumber and mushroom with hummus. With dinner I usually have two servings of vegetables. I love spinach!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I try to eat vegetables with every meal. Morning, I will dice onions garlic and mushrooms and scramble an egg into them. Lunch either salad or sandwich loaded with veggies, and dinner, well i'm 80% vegetarian so mostly dinners consist of 2-3 helpings of different vegetables. If you are looking for different ways to incorporate vegetables into meals without eating them raw, or by themselves. Try stuffed bell peppers, or saute any vegetables and mix with tomato sauce and top spaghetti, and if you really want to load up on the vegetables, skip pasta and find a spaghetti squash. That right there is made up of 100% vegetables. :) Also, vegetables soups, pretty much any thing you have thrown in a pot with some herbs and salt and pepper theres a meal. Add some rice to make it more hearty.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Roasted asparagus: Just drizzle olive oil on a foil-lined cookie sheet, use thinner asparagus, roll them in the the oil and season (preferable with Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt). Then bake at 400 for like 15 or more minutes. I find they are the best if you brown them until they are almost burned. The flavor is fantastic!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like them all! I like asparagus as described above. Baked (microwaved) sweet potatoes are YUMMY, summer squash sauteed with onions, green salads, sauteed bell peppers and onions, roasted butternut squash with nutmeg or thyme....
  • thekateb
    thekateb Posts: 45
    Options
    I cook a bag of carrots once a week in beef broth in the crockpot, and also I like to take zuccini, squash, mushrooms and onion, toss them all in a little olive oil and balsamic and then bake them.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Spinach salads

Sauteed peppers, mushrooms and onions

Brussel sprouts parboiled for 5 mins and sauteed with red onion slices

Asparagus spears sauteed with garlic and sprinkled with parmesan before serving

steamed fresh brocolli

Roasted brocolli and caulifloer with feta crumbles

Raw brocolli, carrots, mini-peppers or pea pods with hummus or yogurt dip

Roasted root vegetables

I always try to prepare veggies in a little bit of olive oil or dip. Eating veggies with a little bit of fat ensures that you are able to absorb the fat soluble nutrients in the veggies.
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Spinach is my favorite. Sometimes I eat it raw, but it can get to feel like a LOT of volume, so other times I'll steam it to make it a little more compact. Great with garlic and peppers as well. I think my favorite recipe with spinach is a salad with sliced strawberries and .75 oz of goat cheese, drizzled with a dressing made from 1 part warm honey and 2-3 parts apple cider vinegar. Yum!

I also like summer squash and zucchini - super easy to cut up and roast in the oven. You can toss them in olive oil if you want, or just let them roast plain (they will stick to the pan a little, though, so be sure to turn frequently(. Acorn squash are super easy, too - slice it in half, scoop out the seeds (which can be saved and roasted for a delicious healthy snack), and roast just as they are, or with some cinnamon and ginger.

A lot of times I'll saute whatever I have around - onion, peppers, carrots, squash, spinach, kale, etc - and just put it on top of a little bit of pasta for dinner. Nice way to get the pasta fix but mostly be eating veggies. A little meat can be added, too (and a little goes a long way).

I hope this helps! I do love me some vegetables. :)