family think im to thin!!

Options
just been to visit family in uk (were army based abroad) and my family r all saying they are concerned that im to thin and think i need help but i dont agree with them have any of you had this problem with family or friends? xx

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's funny, a lot of family members are starting to say I should stop where I'm at (I come from a bigger sized family, not really huge or anything but most family members are 20-50 lbs overweight) I think they beleave that being larger is healthy. Sounds weird, but it's true. I've still got a ways to go too lol
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem with my family, specifically my mother, and I'm not even very close to my goal. Almost every time I see her, she harps on how I am so unhealthy and I must have an eating disorder and be anorexic (I typically eat between 1600 and 2000 calories per day...) because of my appearance. I think that her attitude stems from her own unhappiness with her weight, as she is somewhat overweight and has unhealthy eating and exercise habits. I am thinking about pointing her toward MFP, so that she can look through my food diary and exercise for the past year to reassure herself that I do not, in fact, have an ED (though I'd have to hope she doesn't see this, lol) and, perhaps, learn a little more about how to improve her own health since she shuts me down every time it comes up in conversation.
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    yeh see im the slimmest ive ever been even before i fell preg with my little boy i was nearly 3 stone heavier but after pregnancy decided to sort it out lol i think they are just shocked to see me slimmer xx
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on how thin you are - and how quickly you've lost weight (I've had family members tell me I look great and even if I don't lose another pound it's fine - but no one has ever suspected I've had a problem) -- it's taken me about 14 months to lose 110lbs.... and I still want to lose another 33 -- I also agree, they are probably shocked to see you slimmer - as I think that's happening with my family as I've been very heavy my whole life.
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    i have ost quite alot and i am a low weight but i have more confidence now than i ever have yet they put dampners on that by saying im anorexic xx
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I get that from my parents, some friends, random people at the gym, especially now that I'm getting older. The only person whI says I'm perfectly heathy is my doctor. I just happen to be a smaller person and I have high cholostrol of all things so wolfing down a cheese burger isn't in my best interest. As long as your healthy, that's all that matters.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Someone told me yesterday that I am getting too thin. Really?! I weigh 175 lbs! I am totally NOT too thin.
    I think it has to do with the way people are used to seeing you. They'll get over it.
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    see i weigh 109-110lb but im happy with my weight x
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time, people think I'm too thin.......I'm just under 5'6" and weigh 120
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    As long as you're a healthy weight for your height, who cares, right?
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    just been to visit family in uk (were army based abroad) and my family r all saying they are concerned that im to thin and think i need help but i dont agree with them have any of you had this problem with family or friends? xx

Yes, my family is like this. Granted, everyone but my dad is overweight. And he was for a while too.

I left the states to live in germany for four years, at 252" when I visited 2 years later, I was 145. They went on and on how thin I was, and how I was a food nazi now because I no longer ate things like monster brownies. (2 huge brownies stacked on upon the other smothered in icing like a cake. Eewwwwwwwww)

Then last year, when my littlest was about six months old, I visited again, weighing in at 178 or so, and was a few sizes larger, they went on and on how I looked so much better, even though I was a size 12/14, and at my height obviously overweight.

I think sometimes, they think that if someone they know and love gets a handle on things, they'll have to turn inward and look at their own choices and they won't like what they see.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    To my family, I'll always be either too thin or too fat. I don't listen to them. I listen to my body, and whether or not it seems healthy =)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time, not just from family and friends but also from coworkers and strangers in general. I don't look skinny sick. I looked fit and toned. I think one time I told a coworker that kept insisting I eat some muffins that if I was too skinny I would not have the energy to do the activities and workouts I do on a daily basis.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hi,
    how tall are you?
    it's probably the shock of seeing you lose all that weight, but your BMI should be 18.5-24.9 to be in the healthy range, if it's less than this you would be classed as underweight, and that would be medically too thin and putting yourself at risk of nutritional deficiencies, osteoporosis etc
  • westcoaster09
    Options
    I live with the in-laws and they all say I am wasting away to skin and bones even though I am technically still overweight according to my BMI, but they are mostly heavier people. MY family on the other hand says I look good and to keep up the good work, so it may just depend on what they think looks good on a person. I say if you eat healthy and exercise and feel good about yourself then oh well they will just have to deal.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... I've had a cousin tell me I should just maintain now and a friend tell me I look like a crackhead... :/
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is happy with your weight, you're happy with your weight, and you can maintain your weight without making yourself miserable, then everyone else's input is irrelevant. If not, you might want to consider another weight.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    To my family, I'll always be either too thin or too fat. I don't listen to them. I listen to my body, and whether or not it seems healthy =)

Can't please your Asian family? This is unheard of! ;) Love you!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    see i weigh 109-110lb but im happy with my weight x

Well, how tall are you? What is your BMI? You may actually be alarmingly thin.

But, if you aren't at a very low BMI and you are truly happy with your weight (not wanting to lose more, more, more) then you are probably OK.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Research has demonstrated that many people, especially those who are overweight or obese, don't know what a healthy weight looks like. This could be part of the problem. 109 sounds low to me, but i have no idea how tall you are. Is your BMI in the healthy range? Do you get an annual physical? If so, your doctor would tell you if you are underweight.