BMI

Options
I keep seeing on here that people don't watch the scale... As for me I am an avid scale watcher... I know that typically it doesn't matter how much you weigh but the inches count... I can't help but be attached to my scale though until it tells me that I'm a weight that is within the "normal" range. I HATE that my weight is in the "overweight" range.

I have to be 135 lbs before reaching the normal BMI

Replies

• stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At least you're in the "overweight" category! :drinker: I'm still trying to get there! ...and I'm stuck at my current weight. ugh... THE JOURNEY CONTINUES!
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add that I am an avid scale watcher as well. I do try and pay close attention as to how my clothes fit though.
  • proctor0828
    Options
    At least you're in the "overweight" category! :drinker: I'm still trying to get there! ...and I'm stuck at my current weight. ugh... THE JOURNEY CONTINUES!

I've been on this road for awhile... Alot of hard work has gotten me where I am now.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    I hate the BMI. I'd look like more of a dweeb if I was down to 173 (top end of healthy BMI). Think I'm gunning for 190 and then just do a lot of lifting. We'll see how I look once I hit 190.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    Be carefull with the BMI... not everyone is built the same. After struggling and working and really getting down on myself I finally found a Dietition who explained to me that with my body structure 185 was a perfact weight for me and not in anyway Overweight. Unfortunatly I found that out after I basically obtained a eating disorder trying to get myweight to be "healthy". Anyway the moral is, if the required BMI seems to low... it might be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight as well. But it's fairly obvious I'm not actually. So BMI isn't an accurate measurement of health or fitness.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    BMI has been proven to be inaccurate for people that are muscular or under 5' tall. I prefer to use body fat percentage and measurements to track although I do scale watch as well.
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    The scale and the BMI chart are just tools of measurement, and you shouldn't let them dictate how you feel about your body. Use them as a guidelines!! And don't stress!! Good luck :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI was developed originally as a predictor for large groups, not individuals, it has lots and lots of flaws.

If you use BMI along with all the other measurements, it's a good number to help gauge your total health and fitness, on it's own, BMI is a VERY VERY vague guess, which becomes less and less accurate the more muscle you put on your body.

By the time your BMI is down around 27 or so, you should be relying very little on it, and far more on Body Fat %.