too much protien

Options
what if i am eating too much protien. is that going to mess things up? it not coming from meat, it's coming from better things

Replies

• FORMYBABY
    FORMYBABY Posts: 17
    Options
    what if i am eating too much protien. is that going to mess things up? it not coming from meat, it's coming from better things
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with meat or getting too much protein - and this is coming from a vegetarian!

Now if you want to talk about factory farming - sorry I couldn't resist.:tongue:
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was actually talking with my nutritionist today about that subject because I am on a diet that is very high in protein and extremely low in carbs. Sort of a tweaked Atkins. She told me too much protein regardless of the origin is not good for your kidneys over an extended amount of time. They have to work twice as hard to break down proteins and this can cause all sorts of issues if they are not filtering correctly , because it then causes the liver to work harder. Balancing things out is better for your body in the long run.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I tend to be high on my proteins too. I am choosing to eat more items that are healthy that are going to help me with not craving foods. So I am eating more cottage cheese, almonds, and protein at all meals. I think if you eat with in moderation and don't knock out any food group it should be okay to go over, with in a reasonable amount.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yes, this site does go a little lite on protein, If you are 5 or 10% over I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more worried for littleone, I'm not a big fan of any kind of "diet" especially one that severly limits carbohydrates. Carbs are the body's fuel, lowering them? that's fine, but lowering them severely to the point where you don't get enough to run your body even at BMR, that's a little scary. Ketosys may start out as a good thing, but seriously, it can play havoc with the internal body chemistry and make it extremely hard to go back to a nutritional "normal" after you stop.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the concern Banks, I am being monitored by my doctor and nutritionist. Like I said in my post , if you do a high protein diet over a long period of time it isn't good for your kidneys. I am only doing it for 10 weeks to get my metabolism jump started again, for some reason my metabolism is almost non existant. We have tried a couple other things with either no results or I gained 7 1/2 pounds in one month. I have had all the tests run known to man and they have come back perfect. So far this new approach is working along with medication the doctor has prescribed. I am happy to say that after 2 1/2 years of getting nowhere I'm finally losing weight !!!..:happy:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the concern Banks, I am being monitored by my doctor and nutritionist. Like I said in my post , if you do a high protein diet over a long period of time it isn't good for your kidneys. I am only doing it for 10 weeks to get my metabolism jump started again, for some reason my metabolism is almost non existant. We have tried a couple other things with either no results or I gained 7 1/2 pounds in one month. I have had all the tests run known to man and they have come back perfect. So far this new approach is working along with medication the doctor has prescribed. I am happy to say that after 2 1/2 years of getting nowhere I'm finally losing weight !!!..:happy:
    You said that they have run almost any test possible, but have they tested for PCOS? They said the same thing for my mom and they later found out that she has this:explode: ( it makes you gain weight and Aunt Flow doesn't come with regulatory and eventually not at all) :sad:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Good good. I'm glad you are doing it under doctor care. That's the big thing, so many people do this kind of thing becase they "hear" it works. Yikes!