weightlifting tempo

Options
I was wondering does speed, or tempo, in one lifts affect muscle gained or weight lost?

say instead of lifting a 100 pound bar bell 3 times, slow... you lift a 3 pound bar bell 100 times, really fast.... your muscles get fatigued after both any how... so, would they work for weightlifting, or count as cardio... or what?

I haven't found much creditable information on this topic.... most is just people trying to sell you a book or something. So I was just wondering... anyone know?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Lifting light weights for high repetitions builds muscle endurance.

Lifting heavy weight for low repetitions builds strength and conditions muscle.

Lifting heavy yields better physique results. Nuff said.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Lifting light weights for high repetitions builds muscle endurance.

Lifting heavy weight for low repetitions builds strength and conditions muscle.

Lifting heavy yields better physique results. Nuff said.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with Niner. And, I will add, that lifting too fast could lead to poor form and potential injury. I'd go at a pace so that your form is accurate.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The reason I asked, is...

I am barely making ends meet... so, I don't have the money to get a gym membership. And the things around here I can lift, fairly easy, Or they are things that aren't designed to be moved or lifted and I don't want to break them.

I am just trying to get a new idea of how to better my strength training workouts
  • bosquebrewer
    bosquebrewer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If yOu don't have access to weights I would suggest doing body weight exercises. Pushups and pull ups (and variations on both). For legs do variations on lunges and hold something heavy ish while doing lunges. Also can do some jumping while holding something over your head. Just some suggestions if you don't have access to weights.