calories burned during yoga

Options
Hi everyone! I am really hoping you can help me. I try to do yoga once a day for about 30 mins, mostly just power or vinyasa. I have been using the calories burned on MFP because I don't want to say I burned more cals, I would rather burn more and not know it so I eat less back than more, but either way... every other website I check has numbers so much higher. I am about 5' 8' and currently at my new low 152 and MFP says its only about 86 cals for every 30 mins. Please let me know if anyone has any kind of guidance of what I can do or if MFP is right and everything else is wrong. Thanks have have a great weekend!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Are you using the Yoga or the Stretching, Hatha yoga. You want to definitely use the Yoga for power yoga.

However, that number, though a little on the low side, is about what a good session of yoga runs me according to my heart rate monitor. However I'm more of a Hatha yoga type. ;)
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There is certainly a lot of variation depending on what type of yoga you are doing...... hatha or yin burns hardly anything, but vinyasa, power, or bikram burns way more. It really depends on if you are getting your heart rate up.... doing lots of flows, etc. Does your heart rate increase? Do you sweat?
  • mrshughes0810
    Options
    There is certainly a lot of variation depending on what type of yoga you are doing...... hatha or yin burns hardly anything, but vinyasa, power, or bikram burns way more. It really depends on if you are getting your heart rate up.... doing lots of flows, etc. Does your heart rate increase? Do you sweat?

Yes, every time I don't have a heart rate monitor, but it does go up. I have been doing Yoga for a few years now and they are pretty intense. I have just never counted cals before so I just knew it was a good work, I never really cared how good.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yoga's tricky for calculating calories burned.

According to my HR monitor, I burn 500-700 calories doing intense power yoga for an hour. That seems reasonable bearing in mind I am usually drenched in sweat, quite breathless at times, and my heart rate is similar to what I get for brisk walking uphill (average of 117bpm with peaks in the 150s).

However, I suspect the figures may be a little exaggerated as holding planks, doing downward dogs etc can affect the blood pressure as well as the heart rate. But I still think 500 cals per hour is reasonable for me.

Now obviously a lighter person, or someone doing hatha, will have very different figures.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Age 51 female here, 5'0", 200pds doing 1 hour of Vinyasa 1 wearing a HRM (sweating)= 280cals.

ETA: Vinyasa 1 is a 50-50 mix of Vinyasa and Hatha and I would classify it as medium intense.