Started Running; Delayed Menstruation

Options
Here are my stats:
female
just turned 18 y/o
college junior
about 5'6
highest weight: 140 (in October)
lowest weight recently: 124 (Early April)
milage: 10-13 miles per week
101% NOT pregnant
So here's what happened. In late March I took up running. I would run 5ks every other day. My longest run was 10 miles on April 9th. I have a HRM and when I go to the gym, I find myself burning anywhere from 600-800+ calories per visit. I go 4 to 5 times a week.

When it comes to what I eat, I've been pretty unsure about my intake. A few months ago, I began counting calories. (eating 1600-1800 per day) I became so obsessed with it, however, that I would refuse to eat anything unless I tracked it on MFP. I transitioned to a more natural way of eating (eat whatever you like, stop when full). I don't eat fast food, or eat out. I don't drink fruit juices, soda, or dairy milk. I just starting eating mostly vegan, and cut off almost all processed food, but I can admit that I was not eating enough to make up for the calories I was burning.

I make sure to eat protein though, and make sure my carbs were up. I just didn't calculate every single calorie..

Two weeks ago, I thought I was having my period- bloated, spotting, acne- but nothing really came. My cycle is now 11 days late. My mom, who is a retired personal fitness trainer, suggests that I eat more and exercise less. She said that whenever she dipped to a certain weight, her period would stop, and she would have to gain more to resume it. I just don't feel comfortable with gaining weight, necessarily, until I know that weight is the ONLY reason why I'm late.

I've looked online, and I see that there are numerous reasons can cause irregularity, including my age, stress (finals week is coming up), strenuous fitness (guilty), restrictive eating (clueless), change in diet (perhaps)

I've been trying to eat more nuts, because they're high in fat, but nothing has happened. I am willing to up and track my calories within a zone of weight maintenance, because I'm really content with my physique and weight now which is about 127lbs. (My weight fluctuates a lot. I'm not sure if it's body fat or muscle, since I lift weights as well) I just don't want to reverse all the hard work I've been doing since early this year.

I've started taking iron supplements because I was having symptoms of deficiency. I've also upped my calcium intake.

Is it too early to start worrying about this, being only a couple of days late?
Am I really doomed to love-handles in order to continue my period?

I know many fit and/or thin girls who still have their periods. I mean, is that to say that all female runners/ athletes don't have periods? Or that models don't get them either?

Please help! Thank you!!

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am a poor one to answer because in my adult life I have never been a regular cycler. BUT when I was a teen and a cheerleader when I would train hard for competition or it was a big game week OR our coach wanted the boys to see tiny girls lift more than them I would be a few days late due to the stress my body was under. I do believe a few days late is fairly normal. As an adult with reproductive issues I recently got regular only to loose weight and up my work outs to now be late and also 101% sure not preggo. IF HOWEVER YOU ARE VERY CONCERNED GO TO A DR!
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    I recently went to the doctor for not having a period in over three months. I took two at home pregnancy tests and one at the doctors office and they were all negative. I still get irritable, bloated, hungry....the usual PMS symptoms, but NO bleeding whatsoever. I am a runner also, and I have been doing P90X religiously as well. My doctor fully believes I am not having cycles because of both of those things. He also said if you average 5 miles a day or more, it isn't abnormal to NOT have a period. A collegue of mine was a serious runner most of her life, she ran for Michigan State even, and she said she barely ever had a period in her "day" :) I hope this helps or brings you relief!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it continues for a few months. If then, go talk to your doctor.

Your cycle may be 'shifting' a bit.

I would be very careful to make sure you are eating enough and not overexercising, that is a very slippery slope and by your post.... just please be careful.

Edit to add: I lost my period for 6 months when I was doing my initial entry training for the army. I attributed it to fat loss and lots of stress and exercise. Once I got out of a training environment, it came back.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    PS: If you are eating a balanced diet and not cycling be careful with iron supplements and again talk to a DR. I am wary due to a liver condition and iron would make me sick. BUT most men can't take iron because they have no blood shed taking the excess out of the body. IF you are showing signs of anemia again go to the DR. Be safe.
  • bodymeter
    Options
    thanks for all the wonderful advice!
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I have had menstruation problems the past few years off and on and the doctors have no reasoning for it... through online searches I found a remedy of apple cider vinegar. Google it. It works for people who have absent periods or periods that won't stop. I tried it and I have been fine ever since.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but you may also want to consider this. If you're on an extremely low-fat diet that may also be a contributor. The female body needs a certain amount of body fat in order to have "regular" periods. That's why a lot of hardcore athletes don't get periods.
  • bodymeter
    Options
    -
  • bodymeter
    Options
    I can't see your diary but you may also want to consider this. If you're on an extremely low-fat diet that may also be a contributor. The female body needs a certain amount of body fat in order to have "regular" periods. That's why a lot of hardcore athletes don't get periods.

yeah, I just started back on MFP and will make sure that my fat intake is pretty high. I've been trying to incorporate more healthy fats into my diet. Thanks!
  • bodymeter
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I have had menstruation problems the past few years off and on and the doctors have no reasoning for it... through online searches I found a remedy of apple cider vinegar. Google it. It works for people who have absent periods or periods that won't stop. I tried it and I have been fine ever since.

thanks for the tip!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

yeah, I just started back on MFP and will make sure that my fat intake is pretty high. I've been trying to incorporate more healthy fats into my diet. Thanks!

I was just going to suggest that perhaps you're not taking in enough fat. Years ago (when I was only a few years older than you, :D), I had a good friend who, for various reasons, lost a lot of weight quite suddenly, mostly due to being a full time student with a full time job, and also being the pickiest eater I have ever known even to this day. :) She had the same sort of issue and her doctor told her that she just wasn't getting enough fat in her diet. She made an effort to change her diet a little and got everything back on track. So, it's a good thing to consider. Regardless, I'd give it another month or two before you get too concerned about it. Periods are finicky things and can respond in weird ways to so many things.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've run marathons and not lost my period. The only time I suffered amenorrhea was when I was starving.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Exercise can definitely change your period, and dropping body fat too low with your running can stop your periods.

Since I started running, my period has changed from a 24 day cycle (yuck!) to sometimes 30 days. It is also much lighter and cramps almost completely gone.

I have twice completely missed periods due to stress. Once when I lost a couple of very close friends died very close together. Once when we were waiting for my son to be born (he is adopted).
  • bodymeter
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I REALLY appreciate it!

After doing much research, I've discovered that calorie restriction AND running, is a lethal combination. There's no reason for me to limit my calories so low that I my body can't support normal function. Not to say that I was starving myself, but I have a hunch that I wasn't eating enough. Plus, I was counting my calories.

Right now, I'm counting them, not for restricting, but for monitoring. I just needed to up my calorie intake with clean foods, and I know I will be better off in the long run. (pun kind of intended)

Although this may not be the EXACT reason why I'm late, I'm glad I caught it now and acknowledge that 1200-1500 calories isn't good for a girl burning 600-800 calories every day at the gym. I'm now aiming 1700 net calories every day. I don't want to become as obsessed with calories as I was during my first go with MFP, so I'm only going to enter the data at the end of the day, and not stuff my face at night to compensate for any losses. I just need to rewire my brain to eat more to make up for the energy I require.
  • taniaardisa
    Options
    Hey There,

I know that this post was on 2012. Just want you to know that these information are very helpful to me as I am experiencing the exact same thing right now. I never missed my period before. I started calories counting and got addicted (1200 kalories a day when I started to lose weight). Now that I have exceeded my goal (104 pounds; 5.4"), I started running to tone my belly. Yet, I'm still very scared to eat more than 1400 kal per day. Sometimes I also eat a fried chicken in front of my husband just to prove that I dont have an eating disorder. Nevertheless, I missed my period for a week now. I was scared if I'm pregnant since we didn't plan for it and using protections. But, after reading the post, I can rest assured that I'm not.

If I want to be pregnant in let's say 1.5 years, do you think I should stop running or calories counting from now?