Only 930 calories?? Really??

Options
I feel like I've been eating all day, and it only adds up to 930 calories! My BMR is 1168. I know I need to eat 1200 calories, or if I count my exercise it would be a little over 1400 calories. I just learned about BMR. Some nice folks here have advised me I haven't been eating enough calories. Guess that's why I haven't been able to lose more than a couple of pounds since starting to eat more healthy 2 weeks + 2 days ago.

OK, I know logically this isn't the right thing to do, BUT--given it's 7:00 p.m., I've had dinner, and the day is almost over, so what is the difference between eating 300 calories worth of ice cream and 300 calories worth of something healthy?

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What about 3 tbsp of peanut butter? If the ice cream fits into your calorie allotting, I'd say eat it. However, if you are hungry, I'd strive for something that may be more filling.

The whole thing about this site is encouraging a healthy lifestyle change. IF you can be 100% sure that you can continue this eating the rest of your life, then fine. For the people that cut carbs/sugar and think they are just doing it to lose weight, then resume normal eating, they will gain it back. Make changes that work for YOU not for everyone else!
  • HayleeWho11
    Options
    I'm sure you are fine eating less. I eat a lot during the day and im sometimes under than 1200. Sometimes im about 800ish. Its difficult to meet your goal sometimes.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been eating all day, and it only adds up to 930 calories! My BMR is 1168. I know I need to eat 1200 calories, or if I count my exercise it would be a little over 1400 calories. I just learned about BMR. Some nice folks here have advised me I haven't been eating enough calories. Guess that's why I haven't been able to lose more than a couple of pounds since starting to eat more healthy 2 weeks + 2 days ago.

OK, I know logically this isn't the right thing to do, BUT--given it's 7:00 p.m., I've had dinner, and the day is almost over, so what is the difference between eating 300 calories worth of ice cream and 300 calories worth of something healthy?

ice cream isn't that bad. in fact, ice cream with a TBSP of PB mixed in is awesome!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shouldnt have anything that will spike your insulin unless u plan on being up for atleast 3 hours. ( sugar or fast digesting carbs)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I'm sure you are fine eating less. I eat a lot during the day and im sometimes under than 1200. Sometimes im about 800ish. Its difficult to meet your goal sometimes.

You need to read this:

Here's one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The saying goes.. eat fat to lose fat. I cant say much without seeing your diary and all that but eat protein/fat as those should be what primarily your calories are coming from (doesnt mean you skip out on carbs though, gta eat carbs) Set your macros based on your weight, and then try to meet them.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Shouldnt have anything that will spike your insulin unless u plan on being up for atleast 3 hours. ( sugar or fast digesting carbs)

wives' tale.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How about some trail mix? Nuts, coconut, chocolate chips & dried fruit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of chocolate milk just about every night at bedtime, with some protein powder added if I have enough room and need more protein.
    198601 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Since I eat mostly healthy things now I hardly ever get enough calories. I eat all thoughout the day and never feel hungry, but at the end of the day I am always short - and when I go to they gym forget it I am not even close! The only time I come close is if I am going out and have cocktails or choose to eat something fried :) It gets very frustrating when you read how you are not eating enough every time you hit the complete button. I think it is important to pay attention to your body and what it is telling you! I lost 10 pounds in 7 weeks so everyone is different! it takes time to figure it out, but I would not eat the junk food just to be close to the total calories!
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Since I eat mostly healthy things now I hardly ever get enough calories. I eat all thoughout the day and never feel hungry, but at the end of the day I am always short - and when I go to they gym forget it I am not even close! The only time I come close is if I am going out and have cocktails or choose to eat something fried :) It gets very frustrating when you read how you are not eating enough every time you hit the complete button. I think it is important to pay attention to your body and what it is telling you! I lost 10 pounds in 7 weeks so everyone is different! it takes time to figure it out, but I would not eat the junk food just to be close to the total calories!

eat brown rice, eat wholemeal bread, eat chicken, beef, tuna etc. they are loaded in goodness and pretty high in calories at a reasonable level.

Vegetables and salads should be eaten for VITAMIN and NUTRITION values. NOT TO FILL your calories. It just wont cut it.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Eat the ice-cream.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

If your BMR is 1168, why do you have to get 1200? I think 1200 is a good rule of thumb for most (as far as what to not go under) but if your BMR is less than that I think you would be okay eating less than 1200?

Oh, and I would definitely go for the ice cream!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot, too. I usually have skim milk and plain bran flakes. The fiber helps, too.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Owner of the last Gym I trained at used to advise the lads that wanted to gain weight to eat ice cream,
    mayb there is a lesson in there...
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hmm I never seem to have much of a problem reaching my calorie goals, guess I'm not eating healthily enough, ah well, I'm happy and healthier, so I don't care :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I consume 900 calories at breakfast every single morning... I am eating 3200-3400 calories a day... Can you eat Nuts... I eat 1 cup of Pistachios a day that alone is 320 calories.... At bedtime every night I go to bed with a glass (2 cups) of 1% chocolate milk (300 calories) 24 almonds (120 calories) and 1 cup of Kelloggs Crave Double Chocolate cereal (130 calories) I eat the almonds with the crave cereal, its like a chocolate/nut candy treat. This bedtime snack is 550 calories alone... 2 Tbps. of All Natural Peanut butter (I use Jiff) is 190 calories.... There is quite a few things you can have to make up enough calories to get to 1200/1300 calories.... Best of Luck...
  • HayleeWho11
    Options
    thank you! :D
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I consume 900 calories at breakfast every single morning... I am eating 3200-3400 calories a day... Can you eat Nuts... I eat 1 cup of Pistachios a day that alone is 320 calories.... At bedtime every night I go to bed with a glass (2 cups) of 1% chocolate milk (300 calories) 24 almonds (120 calories) and 1 cup of Kelloggs Crave Double Chocolate cereal (130 calories) I eat the almonds with the crave cereal, its like a chocolate/nut candy treat. This bedtime snack is 550 calories alone... 2 Tbps. of All Natural Peanut butter (I use Jiff) is 190 calories.... There is quite a few things you can have to make up enough calories to get to 1200/1300 calories.... Best of Luck...

I want your calories . . . .
  • scarlet369
    scarlet369 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this wont help you for today, but I just took a look at the last week of your food diary, and my suggestion would be to add some fruit and yogurt or eggs to your breakfast. A medium banana and a cup of blueberries is like 200 extra calories for your day. I don't always make my calories either, but when I know I'm having a low cal day I always know its because I slacked on breakfast. One of my personal goals is to never leave my house in the morning without consuming 400 calories to fuel my busy day.

I'm not perfect either though, I had a horrible couple weeks, so please don't go to my food diary and judge me thinking I think I'm an amazing example , my grandmother died this week so I slacked off on healthy eating.