Weight loss : strategies to optimize it

Options
I'll try to simply (I promise) explain how weigh loss works, why a diet is more efficient the first time, and why it then becomes harder through time. We would also see how we could avoid that.

Let's see how weight loss works. Everybody now should be familiar with insulin, an hormon made in the pancreas, playing both anti-catabolic and anabolic role. Everytime you eat, insulin is secreted - more or less (but always) depending on the nutrient. Carbs - which modify the glycemic level mainly higher it's levels. The modification of the glycemic levels are actually the trigger for the insulin release - the released hormon will have an anti-catabolic action on the muscles and an anabolic one on the adipocytes (fat storage) if the meal is in excess.

Diet : first steps
When the glycemic levels are stable, the pancreas is not solicited, so not any insulin goes in the blod. Insulin being an inhibitor to lipolysis, the fact that it's unreleased enables that last. The weight loss starts...

Diet : antagonist mechanisms
Unfortunately, the first "defenses" come in the play. When less levels of insulin are available, the adipocyte's sensibility to the hormon increases. In other words, eating less would be necessary to keep the weight loss efficient.

Stagnation
A time then comes when adipocytes are so insulin-sensitive that the weight stagnates, even with low intakes, or even removing carbs from your diet (we see that in fact both proteins and fat also release insulin). The few amount of insulin is catch by the adipocytes.
This is when the mighty "plateau" comes. Decreasing your intakes is futile, this is a lost battle.
Lucky us, when we eat less, three hormons increase : norepinephrine, epinephrine and the growth hormon. These three lipolytic hormons help in fat burning

Diet : weight increase
But... why do we stagnate if these three hormons are being released ? shouldn't we suppose to constantly burn fat ?
In fact, after some dieting time, the thyroidic hormons and leptin levels crash, making our three hormons inefficient.
when you reach that point, losing weight is quite hard on both psychological and physical areas. Paradoxically, the thyroid will shrink, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) decreasing, we will likely.... gain weight Even when you eat as your kitten does.

Thyroid being a key, regulating the metabolism, is that last turns to be inefficient, gaining weight will be something unavoidable.

How to avoid that ?
Before going on, I'd like to have your feedbacks. What would be the strategies in order to avoid that stagnation and keep the weight loss constant, and why ?

Replies

• MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Interesting..... to avoid the cycle we have to stop producing insulin and glucose (avoid carbs) and get away from being sugar-burners to become fat burners (more like Primal or Paleo eating styles). At least, this is where my research has currently led me.
  • danaelizas
    danaelizas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this information. To prevent the plateau syndrome while trying to lose weight, cardio workout should vary. At least try to change up the routine every four to eight weeks to keep weightloss consistent. If you stay with the same routine then your body will not burn as many calories as it did in the beginning.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for posting....Personally I've noticed if I eat something sugary I will feel hungrier. Even if I wasnt at first. Thats why I prefer to snack on proteins and healthy fats (avocado) and avoid simple carbs.
    I vary my foods based on my workout. Cardio= more carbs than usual (for me), Strenth = mostly protein.
    I also vary my workout intensity & durations to avoid platues (I hope!).
  • anttrail
    anttrail Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Interesting ...bump to read more