Fruits and Vegetables

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering what types of fruits and vegetables you put on your salads. Let me know.

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    oranges beets asparagus broccoli mango apple pear grapes tomato cucumber olives (?) .... all i can think of off the top of my head

http://food.ivillage.com/course/sides/0,,3bjj,00.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Salad/Fruit-Salads/Main.aspx
  • Deb1971
    Deb1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The normal like lettuce, tomato, cucumbers and onion...
    I do love to add sliced jicama for crunch...
    We also add fruits and nuts (strawberries and pecans or blueberries and walnuts)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Tomato, green or red pepper, green or red onion, avocado, broccoli.
  • rsmclaurin
    Options
    What is Jicama? I googled it and it looks like a cross between a potato and a radish. How do you eat it/cook it?
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like my salads crunchy :bigsmile: : celery (1 large stalk), baby carrots (2), spring onion (1), green pepper (1/4), almonds (about 5), blueberries (about 7), dried cranberries (maybe 10), tomatoes (2 cherry or grape), raisons (about 5), gerkins (1 small), banna peppers (1 Teas chopped), 1 cheese stick and a smattering black pepper and fresh herbs all on a bed of mixed greens (2 to 2.5 cps). I only use about 1.5 teaspof dressing.
  • Deb1971
    Deb1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What is Jicama? I googled it and it looks like a cross between a potato and a radish. How do you eat it/cook it?
    Jicama is a root veggie.. Has the same crunch as water chestnuts but is a little sweeter. The best way to eat is is sliced tossed with lime juice and chili powder.
  • kholmes
    kholmes Posts: 214
    Options
    I have a few standards

Lettuce, chopped apples, dried cranberries, celery, chopped walnuts with a homeade sugar free raspeberry jam and balsamic vinegear dressing

Lettuce, cucumber, celery, tomato, avoacdo, chicken with homeade olive oil, lime, garlic, pepper dressing

Lettuce, cucumber, celery, tomato, egg, low sodium ham and homeade ceasar or ranch dressing

Lettuce, shrimp, dill, celery, cucumber, avocado, tomato, raddish with homeade olive oil, lime, dill dressing

Lettuce, strawberry, mandarin orange, mozzarella, chopped nut (walnut or peanuts) with homeade raspberry vinegar dressing

those are my standards
  • rsmclaurin
    Options
    Jicama is a root veggie.. Has the same crunch as water chestnuts but is a little sweeter. The best way to eat is is sliced tossed with lime juice and chili powder.

Thanks Deb! I'll have to give it a try :smile:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    At Panera Bread they have the BEST fruit salad. Well it's the only fruit salad I've had, sooo... lol.

It has mandarian oranges, sliced strawberries, pineapple and pecans. I feel like I'm missing a fruit in there....
    But I get it without the dressing.

On my salads though I'm pretty boring. Tomato, almonds, carrot, broccoli.
  • Linda1959
    Options
    Lettuce, Tomato, onion, strawberry, carrots, mushrooms and - chopped almond and I know you didn't ask, but egg whites for protein - I use olive oil and vinager for my dressing and very little.
  • LivinTheLife
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the information. It seems that you all put a different touch to your salads making them their own. You might like our Salad Center site because its got many recipes to choose from, like a Strawberry-Candied Pecan salad.
  • malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I follow with most of the standard veggie toppings, but I also like to add some kidney beans for heft and protein. Occassionally, depending on my salad, I will use salsa instead of dressing- but be careful of sodium levels with that.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Romaine, baby greens, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, cucumber, red onion, green onion, green olives, black olives, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, hard boiled eggs, beets, garbanzo beans (chick peas), roasted chicken, ham, bacon.

I don't do fruit salads. I love them all separately, however.