Going to the gym really early

Options
If you go to the gym really early in the morning do you eat before you go or not?

If you do eat before you go, what do you have?

I have two kids and my husband works 2nd shift. So I'm starting to think my only time to really get to the gym everday would be to go at like 5 in the morning before the kids wake up.
However I am not a breakfast person. I hate eating when I first wake up. I usually don't eat until 2-3 hours after waking up. I usually sit around drinking water and sipping a cup of coffee before I actually eat real food.

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Most likely you will need to eat something to have energy to make the best of it. It does not have to be really heavy... Maybe a meal bar or something... something will enough energy to get you going but not so much as to cause you to get nausiated.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 6am and I do not eat beforehand. For me, it's alot easier to work out on an empty stomach. I drink protein at night before bed and I'm good to go. I drink protein when I'm done working out, and then I eat breakfast sometime later on..........
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    it's generally good to have something LIGHT to eat pre workout. For me, i usually will have a hard boiled egg with a slice of ham.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    On the days that I'm going to the gym early in the morning, I usually just have a Vitatop muffin, or something else really light, and then I eat a good meal when I get home. I'm usually starving by that point!
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I am borderline diabetic and have found that if I don't eat and go work out that I get ill after. It is best I think to eat something small either way. Someone once told me to eat a fruit and/or protein. It does help.
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before I go to the gym early. At the most I might have an apple. My trainer says to eat within 2 hours of waking up though so you can get your metabolism started.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I go at 5:30 AM and do not eat beforehand. I eat when I get home.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I grab a handfull (about 15 almonds), and half an banana or apple......protein shake right after - and then breakfast once I get to work...

Oh - and a coffee - trim milk late while I am working out (I know I know - but it is mine, and my trainers little indulgence for getting out of bed at 6!!)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 and go the gym and usually don't eat before hand. If I do eat I usually will grab a banana.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I workout before work around 6 am. I don't eat anything because I'm usually rushing to get to the gym and not hungry. I do eat immediately after my workout once I get to work. On the weekends I have an open schedule and make sure to eat before my workouts. I think I'm going to either have a protein bar or shake before my workouts as I use to years ago.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat before my gym classes, I would lose energy because I lift heavy and expend a lot of energy. I eat a protein bar and a glass of skim milk before I go and when I get back I make a protein shake with whey protein powder and fruit and milk.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym around 5 and I don't eat beforehand. If I do, I feel sick. I usually drink my protein shake when I get home and then eat breakfast a bit later. I'm usually lifting heavy if that makes a difference (as opposed to endurance cardio)
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    i always eat a bowl of cereal and wait like a half hour to go, just so it digests a little bit first :P
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with a scoop of protein, drink some of it on my drive in so I have something in my stomach before I work out and then save the rest for afterwards. It works well for me!
  • Curt959
    Curt959 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm at the gym most mornings at 5:00 a.m. and the majority of the time I do not eat anything. On a few occassions when I did eat, it is usually a banana and/or a few almonds. For what its worth; I usually eat a high protein breakfast usually within a hour after my workouts!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning at around 5am and always have a little something before I go, usually an apple or a banana. Otherwise, your body can go into a catabolic state and start to break down muscle for fuel rather than using blood sugar or burning fat. (at least, that's what my gym's nutritionist says.)

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
  • eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you don't need to eat, though you'd probably have more energy if you ate IF you're doing something intense like cardio; if you're weight lifting, you don't necessarily have to have anything before if you eat something high in protein and enough carbs after.
    I would suggest pairing a protein with a carbohydrate before working out. Perhaps a whole wheat English muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter and even a piece of fruit.
    :)
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    I like to eat Kellogs Nutrigrain cereal bars...usually have before my workout and half later. Or I'll eat a banana, sometimes two whole eggs.

It just depends on how I'm feeling. If I need energy for cardio I go for the cereal bar or banana. If is strenth training half a banana and protein power (w/almond-coconut milk). If I'm hungry I'll eat eggs.

The point is I dont like a full stomach when working out, so I eat just enough to workout then eat a large brunch.
  • jess__bat
    jess__bat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Generally no.. If it's a week day I normally go to the gym around 6:30 7, and I will only have a cup of coffee before hand and eat breakfast at work, normally around 9, 9:30. If i'm running a race on the weekend, it's normally a little later, either 9am or 11 and I still try to avoid solid foods, I cramp if I eat before hand. If I wake up hungry I'll do a banana and half an energy bar and just tough it out until after.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I am in the gym before 0500 M-F and I dont eat. I dont drink much either. Right now I do about 2.5 hours of either all cardio or cardio and a core/total body workout which is done at a pace to be a cardio workout. My gym is in the building where I work. I shower and drink a powerade zero or two as soon as I get to my desk. Breakfast shortly after, which is usually greek yogurt.
    I can not eat prior to working out or I will get sick to my stomach, plus I feel that not eating forces the body to go to stored energy (fat) for fuel.

Just my opinion, but I think it really is a personal matter.