Food Dehydrator

Options
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a food dehydrator. I'm hoping to start making my own jerky and dehydrating fruits for snacks as well as potato crisps.

I've never owned one before, and I'm curious if any of you have one and what make/model you have and if you recommend it or not.

Thanks.

E.

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mine is cool for fruits and stuff. Never tried meat. Just be ready to have your house smell like whatever you are dehydrating for hours.
    When I was making garlic kale crunchies, it was like a garlic air freshener. LOL

This is the model I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-700-Watt-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000FFVJ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334452383&sr=8-1
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Mine is cool for fruits and stuff. Never tried meat. Just be ready to have your house smell like whatever you are dehydrating for hours.
    When I was making garlic kale crunchies, it was like a garlic air freshener. LOL

This is the model I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-700-Watt-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B000FFVJ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334452383&sr=8-1

LOL good to know about the venting.

That one looks great. Good price too.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes. The Excalibur 9-tray. I like it, just rarely ever use it. I'd like to try jerky in it. I've done several fruits & veggies in it and some flax crackers. It's a really good brand.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Yes. The Excalibur 9-tray. I like it, just rarely ever use it. I'd like to try jerky in it. I've done several fruits & veggies in it and some flax crackers. It's a really good brand.

My grandfather used to make homemade jerky. It's amazing stuff. I think it would be a good way for me to make snacks that are healthy and protein rich.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a Nesco off of Amazon. it was the one that comes with the Jerkey gun. My homemade jerkey from ground beef was delicious. Fruit worked well too. Oh, and potato chips were crunchy and awesome.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I just recently bought a Nesco off of Amazon. it was the one that comes with the Jerkey gun. My homemade jerkey from ground beef was delicious. Fruit worked well too. Oh, and potato chips were crunchy and awesome.

Sweet! Which model did you get?

There seem to be mixed reviews on some of the Nesco units on Amazon. The ones recommended above seem to be mostly positive.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have and old American Harvest dehydrator. Works great. I make ground beef jerky which is easy to make and it turns out great. You can search for ground beef jerky videos on youtube on how to do it and some recipes.