Eating out at a local restaurant...

Options
Tomorrow I will be going out to eat with my family for my dad's birthday. We're going to be eating at a local Mexican restaurant with no menu available online and no nutritional information given. What do you all do when in this type of situation? I wanted to avoid any restaurant that I couldn't find the nutritional information. It's not possible tomorrow, so I'm going to try to find a good option and figure out how to estimate the calories. Any opinions or advice? I'm new to MFP and I don't want to mess up, especially so quickly.

Thanks!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's one meal on one day. Don't worry about it. Look for something light like a basic soft taco. It's just lettuce, tomato and meat in a wrap. Salsa and guacamole are just vegetables. If you have tortilla chips, count out ten and be sure to take two bites out of each one. That will give you twenty bites of tasty food.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ask the waiter. They can be very good at helping to steer you to the better options. Also, you can ask to have sauces, rice, cheese etc to be eliminated/ on the side. I've found some of the mexican restaurants that I go to have steamed veggies with chicken or shrimp. It's absolutely wonderful, and I don't feel like a "victim" when I have that.

Above all, make sure that you allow yourself to enjoy a nice visit with the family. Have a few chips, have a margarita.

Enjoy the time with your family, and good luck.
  • Latte4Val
    Latte4Val Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I liked the tips found here >> http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

Tonight I drank a big glass of water, and then ate the black bean enchiladas, about 3/4 cups of rices (which nicely had red and yellow peppers chopped in it). The meal came with three enchilada's and I ate two. Corn tortilla option is better than flour, and you can tell them to hold the sour cream etc. I left feeling like I splurged but didn't go over my MFP quota for the day.
  • MrsInmon
    MrsInmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food as I'm eating. I will type in the name given on the menu and find the closest one I can find. If I can't find under the name given, I will type in what I know. enchiladas, for example, corn tortilla, chicken about half an oz or ground beef about half an oz, enchilada gravy about half a cup. Same with the sides
  • jlav3
    jlav3 Posts: 17
    Options
    When in doubt - share your meal! That is always my trick to unknowns. I find a buddy (one of the kids or a friend/ family member) and split my plate in half. If no one will share, make sure to get a "to go" box for the other half. Then I find a similar restraunt on MFP that is online and make an educated guess. Oh - and that idea below that someone put about the chips - that is the best idea I've ever heard!! I'm soo gonna steal that one. I just avoided the chips and dip, but that just makes so much more sense!
  • Mlove1356
    Mlove1356 Posts: 15
    Options
    When this happens to me I just stick in a national chain as a substitute. For Mexican I use Don Pablo's and try to use common sense. I'm just trying to get in the ballpark and I normally tend to over estimate.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me I just stick in a national chain as a substitute. For Mexican I use Don Pablo's and try to use common sense. I'm just trying to get in the ballpark and I normally tend to over estimate.

^ this... it's close enough for one meal. Enjoy your dad's birthday :)
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Watch the chips (they're so addicting!)... order fajitas, but without the flour tortillas. Substitute veggies for beans and/or rice. Alternately, you can ask for a meal. Most Mexican restaurants have grilled chicken (for the taco salads) so you can ask for a grilled chicken breast and veggies. Find something you won't feel guilty about and enjoy the company.
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    On days like that I just embrace the celebration and let the day pass. Unless I eat, like, 5000+ calories for the day, I haven't gained a single pound, and it's nothing I can't fix.

I do still practice moderation and proper food portions, but I am more lenient. I mean, it IS a celebration, right? Enjoy yourself!
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    My favorite Mexican healthy dinner to get is chicken, steak, shrimp fajitas! I do not eat the tortillas and ask for lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, jalapenos - you could do peppers and onions and you will be full - this is low fat, high protein, low carb! I do not order the cheese or sour cream, but a little avocado slice chopped it also yummy! I make it more like a salad..Good luck!