How do you avoid doing this...

Options
In August I am moving into a place where I will be on my own and be able to do whatever i want... and eat whatever i want :/ This really scares me because i am afraid i will binge on fattening food and just go crazy!!! How do you guys not binge being on your own? it is one of my biggest worries of moving out. What can help stop binge eating? i am a huge binge eater and it makes me gain weight super fast and i really need some tips to stop. Please help!

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Log your food. If you go over your caloric quota, stop eating. That seems to help me the most.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't buy it. Eat before you go grocery shopping, and only buy good stuff. If you don't have easy access to bad stuff, you're less likely to eat it. Don't keep it in the house :)
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    just don't keep it in the house. usually, binges are on snack food items (for me anyways) but if the things you binge on just aren't there, you cant eat em! only keep the things that you would need for meals. If you live close enough to the grocery store you could just buy the things you need for the next 1-3 days and make regular trips too.
  • lissymae11
    Options
    It seems that when i shop after going to the gym, i buy only healthy stuff. Then, there's only healthy stuff at home to eat!
  • fenrirG
    fenrirG Posts: 21
    Options
    Do not have anything in your house that is unhealthy. Don't buy things and keep in store for "when I have people over". Just buy healthy groceries so even when you want to binge, you are binging on healthy products.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Dont buy it?
  • callmeabeast
    Options
    I simply just don't buy it. If I know that I will eat it like crazy then I just don't buy it, and I don't crave it if I know I don't have it.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i just dont buy food until i need it, and dont go to the store hungry
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I can binge eat as well. It takes time ween yourself from it. During the week I am too busy to binge eat so I usually eat really well. But on WEEKENDS :grumble: :noway: :sad: have mercy on me, haha. I can do well all day, but night eating is the worse if I am at home.

1: Try to find activities to fill your time that don't involve eating.
    2: Don't put something in your house like a large bag of chips (buy small size instead)
    3: Don't think of this as a diet, it's a lifestyle change, so enjoy the foods you like
    4: w/ exercise, it's as natural as knowing I have to shower everyday/brush my teeth, I don't think about it, I just do it
    5: if and when you binge eat (b/c you will, not to be negative) forgive yourself. it's a hard habit to break
    6: remember that one horrible day of bad eating doesn't ruin all efforts (any significant weight gain will be water weight)
    7: when you start seeing weight come off, use that as a reminder, not wanting to mess up your hard work :)
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I live on my own and struggle with binge eating as well. I still slip and do it sometimes (like tonight) when I am bored, but I agree with everyone else - if I only have the healthy stuff around, I don't binge - it's when I stop at the store on the way home, or go out and grab snacks that it gets ugly.

Also, I've started training myself to have more of an evening time routine - hot tea while I watch tv, brush my teeth, ect to teach myself that I do not have to eat every evening.

I look at each night as learning and adjusting to a lifestyle change - the more you do something, the better you get at it, and the easier it gets.

Good luck!
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options

5: if and when you binge eat (b/c you will, not to be negative) forgive yourself. it's a hard habit to break

I like this - very true.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    It's lonely, weird, and exciting being out on your own for the first time. You probably will binge a couple times. Then you will realize it's a waste of food, money, energy, and time. No worries.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't relate...try having two teenage boys and a husband that eat all the time and you have to sometimes get them takeout and pizza but not have any. THAT IS TORTURE!!! Being alone in my opinion would make it a million times easier to diet. LOL :tongue:
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Now that you live by yourself, you can CONTROL what you buy at the grocery store and what you put in your mouth! That's the main reason why I started eating better in the first place because now I'm not surrounded by my family's food. I'm more of a social eater than a binge eater though (I just eat whatever people around me are eating rather than binging), so it was a pretty natural thing for me, but if you just don't buy junk food at the grocery store, you'll be fine!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i first moved out on my on i ate too much takeout.

my advice is to start cooking. start with a few easy meals that can last a while. get a crockpot! you can make all kinds of delicious and healthy things in them like chili or soups and the est part is that it cooks stuff while you're out of the house

make a menu for the week and base your grocery shopping on that list. that way you're less likely to buy stuff you wont need.