How to start running?

Options
I love running but am not in fantastic shape. How should I start I would rather avoid the walking and running alternating. So what is the best way to just begin running? Is this something I would be able to do? Any advice would be fantastic!! Thanks everyone:)

Replies

• kayleygrav
    kayleygrav Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5 K program.
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Kimberleycommonname Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The only way I know is to do the walking/running alternating, unfortunately! But over time your running time increases and your walking time decreases.
    When I was learning to run on a treadmill I would push myself for longer according to the counters on the screen - "just 1 more minute, just 20 more calories burned, just to the end of this k" or a song I love would come on and I would push myself to run for the whole song. Eventually you push past your mental barrier and can run just a bit longer.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    c25k is walking and running intervals, but it yields results. I did it ages ago and still can run and do run.. I recommend it to friends and have had a number of them finish the program.

What's the problem with walking intervals? if you'd rather just run.. then do it. Run a block, then to the next bench, then the next day a little further.. there's no program for that.
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    move your legs!

no but really, just stretch and get out there and go. run until you feel the need to slow down and then walk for a little and start running again when you feel that you can. that's how i did it and i can already run longer than i could before
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    If you don't want to walk/run interval (you really should, this is the smart way).. then the only way to start running is to start running :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do intervals you should probably just get out and run, each time for longer than the time before. Keep track and push yourself. I love the c25k program though, it's gotten me up to snuff pretty quickly.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Slowly. Run as long as you feel comfortable... Maybe a lap or so around the track... then add to it. That is really the only way to do any physical activity. Weight training is similar... 30 lbs then 40 then 50 etc...
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Me, too!
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. (C25K)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is amazing. I just ran 2 miles the other day...this from someone who couldn't run for more than 30 seconds at the start of the year. To be fair I spend a month or just just running as far as I could before I could even get to the point of starting C25k.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Well I have ran all my life till after I had my 1st baby. I tried getting back into it but it was never the same. I believe the couch to 5k is wonderful but something that helped me get back to running 4 miles without running forever was doing Jillian micheals, zumba, Gilad. And all sorts of videos that target ur lower body a lot. Like Squats and lunges ( I used to hate them) That's what helped me this time around. There are so many ways to start. The easiest is walking/running. You can run a lot the 1st day but if u have not worked up to it and are out of shape. U may burn out. Good luck.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I love running but am not in fantastic shape. How should I start I would rather avoid the walking and running alternating. So what is the best way to just begin running? Is this something I would be able to do? Any advice would be fantastic!! Thanks everyone:)

Walk on inclines...but you have to start slow and increase slow or risk injury. I ended up with overuse injuries to the adductors from running too far too soon.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Around where I live we just wait until the first angry bear wakes up from hibernation. When we meet it, we just start running.

Okay
    - Buy a great pair of running shoes, I'm a Nike man, so a solid cross trainer would be the way to go. Don't cheap out in this area. This isn't the time to purchase garbage shoes at the discount store.

- Decent pair of sweats, they don't have to be bling wear. Rocky style is fine.

- Cotton sweat socks, I think Walmart sells bags of them cheap, but they don't last very long.

- Reading up on the sport would be a good idea. Your local library might have info on this. I used to read Runners World which was a great magazine.

- Finding a running buddy would be the smart Adult thing to do, if you roll over on your ankle in the back forty and your gimped up, it's always nice to have someone to go and get the cavalry for you. Same if you get bitten by a dog or something. ( Hope not))

- Small can of mace isn't a bad idea if the area your running in isn't that safe.

- A good watch that has a split timer on it like an Ironman by Timex

- Spent at least 5-10 minutes warming up, stretching exercises. Failure to do so can result in alot of pain and cramped muscles.

- Start by walking and then running, they used to call this fartleking. Walk fast for a 3 minutes then run hard for a minute, keep repeating this. Set a limit for your self in the beginning then gradually increase your time and distance. Find out what your target heart rate zone is and work on maintaining that number for a recommended time.

- A great way to build endurance is to train running up hills then jog down, run up jog down, repeat, repeat.

Anyway, that's just a few things to look at.

Have fun, and if it hurts...stop!!:smile:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you could just go out and start running, but you will properly disappoint yourself with how far you actually went. and then most likely give up.

is there any reason why you don't want to do the run/walk. It does work, it does help.

I'm doing b210k, and even though I don't want to stop to walk, I still do it, and I'm glad I do, as there is no way I would have been able to just go out and run a straight 10km from 5km.

so c25k as the others suggested. Or you could try fartlek.
  • chelseap2007
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I just found myself extremely bored when i did the walk/run intervals. However I am new to this and it sounds like its the smart thing to do so i will give it a try again , Where to i find out about this Couch to 5k program most are talking about?Thank you so much I do not want to be disappointed! I think I will be trying a mix of track and treadmill, If i can build the confidence to go to the gym . Then mix some weights in there!
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started walking and with time, picked up the pace and ran a little bit. I heard it referred to as wogging. As time progressed, I could run farther. The calorie burn is much better than just plain old walking, but walking is good, too. :happy:
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    personally i just started running. it was that simple. i started last october running 20 minutes a few times a week, and now i'm training for my second 5k. i say just do it.

(and last october i had never run before and was seriously out of shape/overweight).
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I'm in week 8 of the C25K plan and I recommend it strongly. I was a runner in high school but afterward I only ran when the Navy required PFTs. When I decided to start again just a few weeks ago I scoffed at the idea of doing walk/run intervals. But after trying to run a 5k I decided I would give the C25K a try. The results are very pleasing. Feel free to check out my blog.

http://danslosinit.blogspot.com/