How to start running?

Options
2»

Replies

• chelseap2007
    Options
    Wow! You guys all sound fantastic!! I like the idea of the C25k :) It sounds great! And if i felt like running more I could. What about in between my running doing some weights? like upper body focus? what does everyone think of that, is that okay for me?
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I have met several runners in my area who have all suggested that I add upper body training on the days that I don't run. Since I have a 5k on April 28 I have decided that I won't be changing the training routine until after that race. So starting in May I will be adding some simple weight training for upper body on the rest days. So, yes. I would plan to add it at some point. Doesn't have to be right off the bat though. See how you feel after you begin training. I can tell you that the first couple weeks of the C25K plan can seem monotonous and boring but soon enough it will become a challenge. At that point the running and upper body training might be more than your body can keep up with. If you are like me and have been inactive and out of shape for a considerable length of time it may take some time for your body to fine tune it's ability to recover.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good podcast for C25k...there are plenty out there with music to suit your tastes...just google "c25k podcasts" or if you have a smart phone there are apps.
    Try running outside if you can. It's much more interesting to look at varying scenery rather than the back of someones head on a treadmill at the gym.
    Good pair of shoes...get fitted at a specialty running store, don't cheap out here.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys all sound fantastic!! I like the idea of the C25k :) It sounds great! And if i felt like running more I could. What about in between my running doing some weights? like upper body focus? what does everyone think of that, is that okay for me?

That's what I do. Run one day, weights and body weight stuff (squats, pushups, ect) the next.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I figured if I can walk fast, I should be able to run slow without getting so out of breath. So I started off by running at my walking speed. Was up to five km in three runs. Very slow, but running and no walking. I was running at about 11 min/km. Since then I have worked my speed down to 6:30 min/km. I do run/walk intervals for speed work now, and to get through long runs.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This iphone app zombie game got me running: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Definitely also weight train. I recommend full body workouts such as those found in all of The New Rules of Lifting books by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. Running is great for endurance, but it does not replace lower body resistance training.
  • chelseap2007
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! I am going to put together my schedule and try it out and see how it all works for me:) I feel to be in reasonable shape just not cardiovascular wise! I have a fantastic music playlist but will be looking into to getting some more energizing songs:)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Push off with one foot, land on the other, push off with that foot, then land with the original foot. Repeat.

When I first started running, I had no real plan. I just walked a while, then started running. I got about a 0.2 mile the first time. I think I might've been bolting it at the time. Once I steadied my pace, I was able to do a little more. I started going to the local lake and running around it. Aiming for a little bit more each week. It took me a lot longer to work up to a 5K than something like C25K would prescribe (I started in July and my first 5K race was on Thanksgiving). But I friggin loved it!
  • mgrif94
    mgrif94 Posts: 1
    Options
    Couch to 5K plan (google it)

If you haven't really exercised much like me then just start out by walking for about 30 minutes everyday for about a week. This gets your muscles used to moving again without too much stress.

Then after about a week (or longer if you want) start the Couch to 5K plan. It lays it all out for you. You train with it 3 times a week. It even has an app that tells you when to walk and jog. The app syncs to your music to (if you have an iphone and maybe android). It even has different trainer voices you can pick! I picked the Sgt because I'm training for the Navy but there are several others!

Just follow the program. On the days that you aren't doing the specific workouts, just walk. Or maybe do something different - swim, bike, elliptical, play a sport, etc. Mix it up so you don't get bored. Is there a park you've never been to? Go for it! Check it out!

Good luck!
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just started doing cardio at the gym (rowing machine, walking at a decent speed and the bike) then I started walking outside in the afternoons when the gym was closed and randomly started running till I couldn't anymore then walk then run so on so fourth now I run at least 7kms a day and I love it! I know you said you'd rather avoid intervals but I personally think its the best way to do it :)
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5 K program.

This. I'm doing it and I'm running more and faster not only than I ever have before but that I ever thought I could!
  • chelseap2007
    Options
    Wohoo to everyone! I am always walking. I will be doing the c25k! Starting tomorrow! With strength training on my opposite days! I love reading about each personals individual routines. Ill increase running when I feel its time! I cannot wait to start!!!