Apartment Living

Options
I live on the second floor of a condo with very thin walls. Any suggestions for home workouts that I can do in the house that will get my heart rate up but the neighbors won't think that Godzilla is approaching the building??

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    What part of your place you plan on working out? You can workout and still not bring noise or too much noise. Try using egg crate foam or any other thick kind of foam on your floor to help eliminate the noise. As for the workout, I suggest Tae Bo.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sadly, probably nothing. As a second floor apartment dweller, in a three story building, pretty much any mild workout is going to sound like you're about to crash through the ceiling.

Your best bet is to talk with your neighbors, make friends with them (especially the ones below you - and on either side of the ones directly below you, because you'll likely effect them too) and just let them know about your fitness plans and goals. Have a specific time each day that you'll be doing whatever workout you choose and then stick to that schedule. Then they know when to expect the extra noise and know what's going on.

Like I know which weekends my upstairs neighbor has his kids so I can know to expect some extra noise those weekends from the kids playing and running around.

I had one upstairs neighbor here that I seriously thought they weighed a few hundred pounds from how heavily they stepped, and one night my entire place was shaking with them doing what sounded like a home workout. I went upstairs to chat with them and it was a little, skinny, woman that was shorter than me and probably no more than 120-130 pounds or so. But the workout DVD she'd been doing was shaking my walls so badly that all my pictures were crooked and my cat was cowering in fear under our bed.

After that, she started doing her workout videos in the fitness center. (I didn't ask her too, she opted to)
  • luannraymond
    luannraymond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried a Pilates for weight loss video and I was quiet and got sweaty at the same time. It's the only exercise I can do in my apartment without my neighbors complaining.
  • angellabc
    Options
    Try supersets and maybe a calisthenic combo. Supersets are also a time saver especially on the days you don't have a lot of time to exercise. Supersetting is a method in which you do two exercises, one after the other, with no rest in between. The exercises can be for the same muscle group or two different muscle groups. They can even be completely different activities (e.g., a strength exercise followed by a cardio exercise). The idea is to do one exercise and, instead of resting and doing another set, doing a different exercise and alternating those exercises for your desired number of sets. Perform simple calisthenic exercises like push ups, sit ups, calf raises, squats, lunges, etc.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Pilates or yoga would be great. I'm always surprised by how sore I am afterwards for something that seems so simple.

I wish my neighbors were as concientious as you are!
  • ROCKINGRUTTIE
    Options
    My Shine

.Green
    Vitality
    Video
    Get Up and Go
    Reluctantly Healthy
    The Dr. Oz Checkup

SearchKeyword
    Search Shine

Trending Now
    .Pauly D lawsuit
    Beyonce letter
    Hayden Panettiere
    Amanda Bynes
    Diddy
    Jada Pinkett Smith
    Ryan O’Neal
    Gas prices
    Emerging markets
    Samsung Galaxy Tab

.. . .

The Top Moves to Tone Your Trouble Zones

.By SHAPE magazine | Vitality – Wed, Apr 4, 2012 10:22 AM EDT.. .

Tone your trouble zones!While you can't target exactly where you'll lose body fat (aka spot reduce), you can tailor your workouts to help build more lean muscle in certain spots. We've got moves to hit all your problem areas (no equipment required). And since targeted training means you'll be adding lean muscle to your frame, these exercises can also help you burn more fat! Add a few of these toning moves into your regular routine to see a difference:

Reclining tricep press1. Problem: Arm flab
    Solution: Reclining triceps press: Don't be fooled by the word "reclining"-this move is anything but relaxing! You'll challenge your triceps muscles to tighten up the backs of your arms, while engaging your core muscles at the same time.

How to do it: Start seated with your knees bent, feet flexed, and heels on the ground. Keeping your abs tight, lean back and lower yourself onto your elbows, keeping your spine straight (your back should remain off the ground) with your hands facing your body, palms flat on the floor.
    Push through your hands to extend your elbows and lift your body off the floor, maintaining a straight spine the entire time.

Bend your elbows and lower down until your arms (but not your back) touch the floor again. That's one rep. Do 3 sets of 15 reps total.

RELATED: 8 Well-Meaning Workout Strategies that Backfire

Single-leg squats.2. Problem: A thutt
    Solution: Single-leg squat: Tired of your 'thutt' (aka butt and thigh melting together)? Sculpt a tight, lifted rear and clear definition between your thighs and buns with this move. It works your thighs, glutes, and core all at once.

How to do it: Start standing on your right leg, with your left knee bent and foot lifted off the floor behind you, both hands behind your head.

Bring your left leg further behind you to help you balance as you do a single-leg squat on your standing leg. Be sure to push your hips back behind you and try not to sway your back.

Without putting your left leg down, stand up out of your squat. That's one rep. Do 15 reps on the right, then 15 reps on the left, repeating for a total of 3 sets on each leg.

T-rotation balance.3. Problem: Love handles
    Solution: T-rotation balance: Strengthen all the little muscles that line your waist while you improve your balance and coordination too.

How to do it: Start standing on your right foot and extend your left leg behind you. Bend your right knee and reach both arms straight out in front of you, palms pressed together. Bend forward at the waist, lifting your left leg up as you lean your chest forward, creating a straight line from your foot through your head (forming a 'T' shape with your body ).

Slowly open your right arm, rotating it up to the ceiling, turning your chest to the right, and looking up to your right hand.

Slowly and with control, try to lower your right arm and return to the 'T' shape without lowering your left leg. That's one rep. Do 15 reps on the right, then 15 reps on the left, repeating for a total of 3 sets on each leg.

Plank tuck jumps4. Problem: Muffin top
    Solution: Plank tuck jumps: This move mixes abdominal work and a cardio burst to help burn body fat while you strengthen your core so you can shed that muffin top faster.

How to do it: Start in a plank position with your feet together. Bend both knees and shift your weight into your arms as you jump both feet in to your hands, lifting your hips up to the ceiling. Land in a tucked position on the balls of your feet, knees bent and between your arms, and then quickly jump back out to your full plank position , keeping your abs tight and not letting your hips sag. That's one rep. Do 3 sets of 10 reps as quickly as you can with good form.

RELATED: The Top 10 Moves for Thinner Thighs

Lateral leap and hop5. Problem: Cankles
    Solution: Lateral leap and hop: Create shapely calves and strengthen your ankles with this plyometric combination move.

How to do it: Start standing on your left leg with your right foot lifted all the way off the floor. Bend your left knee and jump to the right as wide as you can, landing on your right foot, bending your right knee.

Once you land, push off your right foot and hop up, landing again with the right foot, left foot stays off the floor (you can use your arms to help you jump in any way that feels natural). That's one rep. Repeat 10 times in total, alternating sides each time.

Note: Jump with caution, and make sure you are fully warmed up before attempting this move. Gradually increase your range of motion when you feel ready.

These moves are great time savers as well because they tone multple muscles with each move.

There are pictures of these moves at http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/top-moves-tone-trouble-zones-142200283.html