R I P RMS Titanic.. 100th Years..

Options
svnone3rd
svnone3rd Posts: 18 Member
Just a quick note to any history buffs who may have forgotten.... 10 mins ago, the RMS Titanic had completely sank in the North Atlantic Ocean today 100 years ago. May all the souls that perished rest in peace. :(

Replies

• lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've been talkin' about the Titanic all day, even put in the movie. I'll never forget it. ):
    Such a sad thing.. I honestly feel like it could have been prevented.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My great grandma and her 3 kids were booked in Steerage on the Titanic...they couldn't make the trip in April and sailed on the Columbia later in the year...crazy, huh?
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    My great grandma and her 3 kids were booked in Steerage on the Titanic...they couldn't make the trip in April and sailed on the Columbia later in the year...crazy, huh?
    That is really crazy.

J.P Morgan was suppose to be aboard but cancelled last min. I know people that work at that bank. I thought that was just cool. (:
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    I just took my 15 year old son to see Titanic in 3D. The experience hit me harder than it did 15 years ago. I've been to two exhibits on it and bought a piece of coal collected from the wreckage.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I just took my 15 year old son to see Titanic in 3D. The experience hit me harder than it did 15 years ago. I've been to two exhibits on it and bought a piece of coal collected from the wreckage.
    I want to see it in 3D, I have it on VSH & DVD.. I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit. I've also watch almost every TV show on History/Discovery/PBS that was about the ship. I only saw one exhibit when I was younger. It was amazing though. I'd love more than anything to go to the Titanic Museum.
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    I want to see it in 3D, I have it on VSH & DVD.. I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit. I've also watch almost every TV show on History/Discovery/PBS that was about the ship. I only saw one exhibit when I was younger. It was amazing though. I'd love more than anything to go to the Titanic Museum.

It's amazing to see all the artifacts that were on display. It just sucks they didn't allow us to take pictures. I have over 10 books on the sinking. I too also watch all the specials. (I found this in the RMS Titanic Website and pasted it) "Don't miss the History Channel Documentary, TITANIC AT 100: MYSTERY SOLVED, which premiers Sunday April 15, 8-10PM ET/ PT. This documentary will highlight the most recent return to the Site of the Disaster with RMS Titanic, Inc. and Sheds New Light on Titanic. Entire Wreck Site Is Mapped For the First Time; New Discoveries and Information Answer the Ultimate Question: Exactly How Did Titanic Break Apart and Go Down?"
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Did you hear about the ship sailing from Southampton today that was following the route Titanic took? I heard there was one sailing from NYC slated to meet up with that ship over the wreckage and hold a memorial ceremony.
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    Did you hear about the ship sailing from Southampton today that was following the rout Titanic took? I heard there was one sailing from NYC slated to meet up with that ship over the wreckage and hold a memorial ceremony.

Yes, the story can be read here:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8620877
  • lyssamichelle
    Options

It's amazing to see all the artifacts that were on display. It just sucks they didn't allow us to take pictures. I have over 10 books on the sinking. I too also watch all the specials. (I found this in the RMS Titanic Website and pasted it) "Don't miss the History Channel Documentary, TITANIC AT 100: MYSTERY SOLVED, which premiers Sunday April 15, 8-10PM ET/ PT. This documentary will highlight the most recent return to the Site of the Disaster with RMS Titanic, Inc. and Sheds New Light on Titanic. Entire Wreck Site Is Mapped For the First Time; New Discoveries and Information Answer the Ultimate Question: Exactly How Did Titanic Break Apart and Go Down?"
    I saw the "preview" for that today. I'm excited to see it!
    Did you hear about the ship sailing from Southampton today that was following the rout Titanic took? I heard there was one sailing from NYC slated to meet up with that ship over the wreckage and hold a memorial ceremony.
    I heard that were doing something like that, I just didn't know any details. I think that's amazing.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

Awwww...I really hate not having cable :grumble:
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    Well let me know how it is.. I actually don't have cable/satellite anymore. I guess I'll have to download it (if I can) :(
  • svnone3rd
    Options

Awwww...I really hate not having cable :grumble:

LOL you and me both!
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    Well let me know how it is.. I actually don't have cable/satellite anymore. I guess I'll have to download it (if I can) :(
    ): I'll let you know!
    If it makes you feel any better I'm using my mom's cable. Kind of like I never left home, you could say. (:
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I'm using my mom's cable. Kind of like I never left home, you could say. (:

Oh yeah I guess going over to my mom's in an option.. if I just just wrestle away the TV from her is another matter. I'm stuck listening to the Titanic soundtrack on YouTube now...
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    You're almost right. The ship sank at 02:20 shipboard time (time on the ship at it's location). That time was actually 05:47 GMT or 00:47 EST (DST wasn't yet in effect). Given that we're in DST right now, at least in the States, Titanic still has another 28 minutes before her stern goes under--100 years ago anyway. :flowerforyou:

Edit: I had to look into this quite a bit as I planned my memorial for tonight. I started the film Titanic at precisely the right time to be in line with the time of the sinking 100 years ago. So, when I see the stern go under it will be at the same time it went under then--according to the timing given by Second Officer Charles Lightoller.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options

Oh yeah I guess going over to my mom's in an option.. if I just just wrestle away the TV from her is another matter. I'm stuck listening to the Titanic soundtrack on YouTube now...
    Awh. Well at least you have internet ! (:

This is an article I found interesting. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/one-titanic-survivor-was-heading-for-dayton-1360121.html (:
  • svnone3rd
    Options
    You're almost right. The ship sank at 02:20 shipboard time (time on the ship at it's location). That time was actually 05:47 GMT or 00:47 EST (DST wasn't yet in effect). Given that we're in DST right now, at least in the States, Titanic still has another 32 minutes before her stern goes under--100 years ago anyway. :flowerforyou:

I went of the countdown found on the site http://www.rmstitanic.net/. Maybe they were wrong?
  • svnone3rd
    Options

This is an article I found interesting. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/one-titanic-survivor-was-heading-for-dayton-1360121.html (:

Reading it now!
  • lyssamichelle
    Options

Reading it now!

It's amazing how people don't get to hear about the little things. Those are the parts I love learning. lol
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    You're almost right. The ship sank at 02:20 shipboard time (time on the ship at it's location). That time was actually 05:47 GMT or 00:47 EST (DST wasn't yet in effect). Given that we're in DST right now, at least in the States, Titanic still has another 32 minutes before her stern goes under--100 years ago anyway. :flowerforyou:

I went of the countdown found on the site http://www.rmstitanic.net/. Maybe they were wrong?

Yes, there's a good chance they are wrong. It's unfortunate, but true. Very few people take into account the use of shipboard time in the ship's logs and in the ship's clocks. At the time of the sinking the shipboard time was like 1 hour and 33 minutes advanced from EST.