South beach diet

Options
Has anyone tried this and does it work??? I want to try it for a month and was wondering how long did it take people to see results and was the eating easy to follow???

Replies

• AmberLeeLOSE50
    Options
    I have tried it!! It works if you want to lose weight quick.. But its hard to keep it off. I tried it last year and lost 5 pounds in a week.. but the carbs got the best of me, so i ended up gaining it back. Its hard at first but it gets easier
  • bella33067
    bella33067 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just about ask if anyone has tried this and did it work ? I would like to see if the two weeks of not eating sugar and carbs will help with cravings? That is my down fall sugar and carb cravings two weeks out of the month that cause me problems with getting my weight to come off. I am fine the other two weeks.
  • donny
    donny Posts: 1
    Options
    I have found that instead of completely eliminating carbs from your diet, that reducing the amount is much more sustainable over the long run. I love pasta, so to give it up completely isn't realistic. But by going to whole wheat, halving the portion of pasta/bread that I eat is a meal plan that I can stick with over my lifetime.
    I have gone from 189 to 170 over 6 months, simply by watching total caloric intake and reducing carbs but not eliminating them.
    You can do it too.
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    I read the South beach diet and definately take a lot of ideas from it.
    I keep my carbs low, but especially focus on whole grains (no white sugar or flour)
    I eat a lot of veggies and fruit.
    I don't eat red meat right now, but I eat chicken, eggs, fish and nuts as well as beans.

Doing the induction kicks your body into a start mode and also your mind.
    I combined what I learned in the South Beach book with what I learned in the Bigest Loser 30 day kick start book and went from there.
    I have steadily lost 2-3 pounds per week which is what is healthy (well 1-2 is) anyways.
    Anything that makes you lose 10 pounds in a week is losing water, not actually burning fat but helps in serving as a motivation for you to keep going (basically its a cleanse) but don't expect the results to keep up like that.
    Slow and steady.
    The south beach offers a lot of good recipes in phase two and that is basically how I live my life now.
    I have lost 46 pounds in 4 and a half months.
  • tammym1964
    Options
    I completely agree. Unless you plan on living without carbs the rest of your life.. Atkins and South Beach doesn;t work. Its a lifestyle. I find that just watching calorie intake works wonders. I lost over 30 lbs in 6 months just by counting calories. I also added some exercise to my daily routine, but nothing strenuous. Just walking and lifting a little weight.. I have a friend who is a plastic surgeon and he says that to all of his patients, CALORIES, thats the bottom line.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    im going to give it a try!!! :happy: :happy:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. Unless you plan on living without carbs the rest of your life.. Atkins and South Beach doesn;t work. Its a lifestyle. I find that just watching calorie intake works wonders. I lost over 30 lbs in 6 months just by counting calories. I also added some exercise to my daily routine, but nothing strenuous. Just walking and lifting a little weight.. I have a friend who is a plastic surgeon and he says that to all of his patients, CALORIES, thats the bottom line.
    I TOTALLY AGREE:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I have found that instead of completely eliminating carbs from your diet, that reducing the amount is much more sustainable over the long run. I love pasta, so to give it up completely isn't realistic. But by going to whole wheat, halving the portion of pasta/bread that I eat is a meal plan that I can stick with over my lifetime.
    I have gone from 189 to 170 over 6 months, simply by watching total caloric intake and reducing carbs but not eliminating them.
    You can do it too.

I TOTALLY AGREE
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I always like the south beach principles because it allowed for alcohol after the initial ramp up :drinker:

I incorporate their ideas into part of my diet, but like others, just cut back on carb portions and switch to whole grains instead of white flours.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    South Beach does allow carbs just not during the induction phase. I have followed it for years and found it a great way to lose as well as maintain. You can eat out, go to parties, have alcohol, you name it. It really helped me learn what to eat for energy too. Good luck I love the program and feel it is actually a lot more balanced then people realize.