How would you handle a child bully?

Options
xASHYxSMASHYx
xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
So my 12 year old step daughter has recently moved to a new area and school with her mom. She has been having a hard time making friends and has befriended a girl who is being really nasty to her. This girl asks her for money, and to buy her clothes and shoes and things and then once she gets what she wants she starts a fight with my SD and calls her fat and ugly and other names. She makes her cry all the time. And my SD has recently lost 8 kilos because she stopped eating... to try to please this little brat. My SD's bio mom really doesn't give a crap and is too busy off drinking to care about her kids. My husband and I are really concerned, but we don't know what to do about it. We have talked to SD and told her this girl isn't her friend, but she is so desperate for friendship she won't listen to us. I have tried looking up the girls parents names, but can't find them. I thought maybe my husband could either call or email the mom or dad and have a chat and just let them know what is going on. But since we don't even know who they are, that won't really work. The girl is on facebook and my husband has intervened a couple times into their conversations and politely told the girl to back off, and she pretty much just told him to F*** off.
So I am just wondering how other people deal with these sorts of issues?

Replies

• Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Does this girl go to your step-daughter's school? If so, Is it possible you could talk to one of her teachers, and perhaps the teacher could either talk to the girl, her parents, or could arrange a meeting for all of you to talk?
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm in two minds about this.

One time, my little sister was being bullied by this super tall, super ugly girl. At the time, my sister was 11/12 and I was... 16/17? I waited at the school gates at hometime and told the tall girl to back off, or I would make her back off. In the most horrible way, of course... I found it hard being such a meanie, but it worked all the same. The reason I did this was because we had tried everything beforehand, but nothing worked. The girl's parents didn't care, the school said it wasn't their problem, and my sister was actually trying to break away, but the tall girl followed her around, calling her "fatty" and "tubzilla". She was 6 stone.

However, I'm nearly 23 now and as a young woman, I realise that what I did was wrong. If I were you, Ashy, I would get the school involved. The school has the power to call the bully's parents into a meeting, and you can discuss matters further.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This type of situation makes me react before I think. I have a 15 yr old step son and if someone messed with him, they would feel the wrath of what a STEPMONSTER IS!

First off, I think that friend check is required...if she has friends on facebook....monitor it and find out who she is. Don't intervene on a conversation and embarass your SD even more. (If I read that correctly).

Do your own research, be proactive.

These situations are volatile because we are protective, so it's important to think before we react, we are not their Bio parents and as a result our abilities are a bit limited. We need to respect that, and instead reach out to our Stepkids to let them know that we are available ...... PERIOD!

Feel free to friend me and I wish you much love and luck in your resolutions to this.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Firstly, well done on taking it seriously. My niece (who is now 18) was suicidal several years ago due to school bullying. It is a serious matter and must be stopped before it goes too far. My sister wound up getting an intervention order against them but eventually she dropped out of school at 15 as a result of it all. My advice is to firstly go to the school and have a meeting with the principal. If that doesn't get results, go over his head (I'm in Australia so I don't know your terminology but it's the education department here). If that goes nowhere, get some advice from the police. At the same time, try to build her confidence as much as you can. Good luck. It is an awful situation.
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If the girl is in your SD's class...talk the teacher and see if they can intervene. You can also try to get SD involved in after school activities...or...my favorite...self defense classes. Self defense classes can help build self confidence and she will also meet new people...and to sell it to her..it is a great for weight loss...;)

Contacting parents can go either way....this may come as a surprise but not all parents are.....qualified...lol. Best of luck to ya...it can be a tough road.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses :)
    My husband did contact the school, and they said they would keep an eye on things but there wasn't much they could do unless they see it happening. It's just really frustrating to us. My SD isn't even overweight, in fact now she is at risk of being underweight. But I think we have now got her back on track with eating, just wish there was more we could do. And I know to some extent her parents are probably aware of her behavior, I'm sure she is no angel at home either. So talking to them might be pointless, but I guess for now we will just watch the situation and see how it goes.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used to be bullied at school.

I'm 35 now.

All the above was tried, parents got involved, teachers got involved.

Unfortunatly though the bullying would just continue when the adults were not around.

This kid even used to come over to my house and steal from the house. Even when caught he was banned from the house but the bullying would continue.

There was one thing and one thing alone that dealt with it.

One day I just said enough was enough. The bully pushed me into my locker and smacked my head against the metal door.

I stood up turned round and knocked him clean out in 1 punch.

From that day forward he tried to be my best friend because he thought I was effectively tougher than him.

Self defense classes would be good. They will help her confidence and she will know that she can physically stand up to this person. If a bully is scared they quite often back off as they don't want to loose face in front of those they think are weaker than them.

Violence is not always the answer but making the bully think you are tougher than them is.

Well thats my view.

My daughters are 4 and I will be starting them with me in self defense classes.

My message. If you can handle yourself you can stand up for yourself in any situation.

Something I use at work today when a manager is trying to push me into something that I can not get done in realistic time scales.

I am not scared to stand up to them and say this can't be done and I will not be held responsible for the consequences.

Let her know you are there for her and what she wants to do to deal with this situation you will back her all the way. My parents did and even though I ended up in a weeks worth of detention (kept back after school) for chinning my bully. My mum and dad said to me what I did was not right and I had to take the consequences but they were proud of me and backed me taking my consequences for what I did to resolve the situation.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Why does your 12 year old sd have enough money to be stolen by a bully for clothes?
    When I was 12 my parents only gave me money for specific things, and wanted my receipt/actual stuff I'd bought after.

This could be a start, the bully isn't gonna keep pretending to be her friend when she realises she can't milk her dry anymore.

Sure she might get rough, but honestly at least if that happens you can get her arrested, rather than her getting away with all this emotional abuse that it probably doing a lot more harm to your sd than a playground scuffle will probably do.

I see it either going two ways - the bully ****s off once she realises she cant get any money out of her, or she gets worse - probably bad enough to get caught.

You need to be way more proactive with the school - I went through the same thing and the school didn't give a ****
    You need to DEMAND a meeting with the parents, and threaten to go to the police etc in said meeting

Don't get involved with facebook chats though, or direct contact with the bully, kids can always make you look like a sexual predator these days.

Try and get your sd involved in clubs/activities outside of school, where she can meet new friends and stuff - a self defense class would be a great choice! Try to get her more confident, and the rest should follow
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    Did you approach the school with evidence? Print-outs of what's been going on, evidence of money changing hands etc..

Who are you contacting at the school? Perhaps you should be looking for more senior staff?

My nephew was bullied at school and on the bus on the way home. Same child, MANY times. I approached the school and was told they would talk to the child. One day my nephew came home, he'd been physically shoved by the boy. I went to the police and reported it. The child was then excluded from the school and given a warning by the police. School couldn't do much that they didn't see but changed their tune when the police were involved.

Ask yourself, if the events were not also happening at school, how would you deal with it then? And then... Go for it!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have any children, however I do work with them and am learning to become a primary school teacher. I was one of the "chubbier" kids at school who constantly dealt with bullying about my weight from the age of about 7. I tried to ignore it and not get anybody involved (sticks and stones and all that) and at the time it worked - but in later life and even still it comes back to haunt me.

It is good that your SD can confide in you and have someone to talk to about it, encouragement from the people she is close to and lots of positive thoughts will make her think "y'know, I'm better than this! I don't need to put up with or associate myself with this sort of person."

I think making as many people aware of the situation as possible is always a good thing, teachers, playground supervisors and learning assistants (don't know if you have them at your schools, but we do in the UK) and if possible it is a must to speak to the bully's parent/s or guardian (at least they are aware and hopefully wont be ignorant). I hope it doesn't get to this stage, but if there is any physical bullying done at the school and the school doesn't do anything about it threaten them with getting the police involved (they only decided to get things done when my mum threw this bombshell on them)

Let us know how you get on :)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    She gets her money from doing chores around the house, and she saves up. And twice now she has gone shopping and bought clothes that we thought were for her, only to find out they were given to this other girl. This was when she went out with her Nana, who we have now informed to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    It's hard to monitor all of the situation because she doesn't live with us full time. We would love to have her living here with us, but for now she wants to stay with her mom which is only natural.
    I will talk to SD about self defense classes as some of you have suggested, I think it's a great idea and I know my husband has suggested it a few times as well.
    As far as the school goes, my husband is in regular contact with them, so he will have to see if there is someone else he can talk to. I don't know what the police here would do, because they seem really lax. When we reported the bio mom for having underage drinking parties at her house with kids smoking weed, they didn't do anything the first two times, and only on third time did they finally give her a warning. This is in Australia. I know the laws in America are a lot different and that **** wouldn't fly there ( that's where I'm from).. But if the school fails to do anything about it, and it keeps getting worse, I guess that's what it would come down to is trying to get the police to do something about it.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    She gets her money from doing chores around the house, and she saves up. And twice now she has gone shopping and bought clothes that we thought were for her, only to find out they were given to this other girl. This was when she went out with her Nana, who we have now informed to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Is it you guys that pays her to do chores? If so, do what my parents did and keep hold if it. I got pocket money as a kid, but my parents held on to it and I was allowed it whenever I wanted, but didn't have unlimited access to it.
    Good that you told her nana though - though surely she should have known not to let her in the first place!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Is it you guys that pays her to do chores? If so, do what my parents did and keep hold if it. I got pocket money as a kid, but my parents held on to it and I was allowed it whenever I wanted, but didn't have unlimited access to it.

That is actually a really good idea, to act like a bank for your child. I like that one a lot.

I was best friends with two girls in the sixth grade (I'm assuming your SD is in that grade) who I recall as being nice to my face, but one weekend when we got to school on Monday, I found out that one had a birthday party that I wasn't invited to, and they talked about it right in front of me. At the time I don't remember being too upset, but looking back I realize how dumb I was not to notice.
    My apologies, I didn't read every post but did you sit down with your SD and explain what is happening to her, and telling her that those signs are not what a good friend does? Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to see the truth. But it is painful to be lonely, and I can see why she would cling to a friend like that. But it isn't appropriate to buy her clothes and other items. Could you get your SD into some activities if she's not already in them? A sport or a club of some kind? Just to have the opportunity to meet other kids.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I say screw the system because that's all it is. The schools tell you all about their no bullying policies but, honestly, they don't care. It's a paper drill to cover their ***es if something goes wrong. My kids were bullied years ago and I, being a retired Marine, told my son to quit being nice and kick the living daylights out of the bully. Swing until someone pulls you off. You might get suspended but you will definitely get their attention. Never got screwed with again for the next 4 yrs in high school. Actually was awarded most school spirited his sr year and he was class president for 2 of those yrs. I know some of you will take offense to what I wrote but I don't care. My children were raised to be respectful to all and to protect each other and others who get picked on. But if trouble comes at you, deal with it head on. You live in your paper drill world and I live in reality. The weak get preyed upon, that's reality. I tried the school system, the parent mediation, etc. It's all bull, sorry if you agree but keep your hands off my kids!!!! Btw, he is now a junior, with a 3.8 average, in college and president of his fraternity.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options

lol I love that, so funny! How we wish we could with things sometimes!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    We have tried talking to her but at that age, she doesn't want to listen to us or believe what we are telling her. And we definitely do encourage her to stand up for herself. I don't think she would ever hit or physically hurt this other girl though, because that's just not the type of kid she is. She is a too nice kid living in a mean world. But my husband has taught her a few self defense things himself in case she ever does need them.
    As far as the school goes, I agree that is just a paperwork thing... and their policies are really of no use in real situations.
  • bettyford4202
    bettyford4202 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow that's horrible!! It sucks that you don't know where they are, but most of the time people post what school they go to and what not, so that could help in talking to a teacher or something. Also, if you can get to see her profile (probably through your SD's) she more than likely has her parents listed in the family part, you can email them and let them know what's going on. Bullying is getting WAAY out of control.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Now that I know you're in Australia, my sister spoke to her local MP when she wasn't happy with the school's response (their bullying policy was a crock of ****e). That's another avenue if all goes nowhere. The bloody problem these days is that these kids communicate all day and night. In our day, a bully might go at you at school but home was a safe place. These days they got at at home just as much, if not more. And the way these kids communicate, just about every kid within a 10km radius seem to know about it. My niece got spat on from a car by complete strangers at a bus stop one day who then yelled at her in support of the bullies. Just madness. If you do take it as far as the children's court, have plenty of documents to back it up. If something is posted on facebook, print it and file it. If she's copping anything via her mobile, get your phone provider to give you print outs of incoming calls (it takes a bit of nagging but they can do it). Keep a diary noting every occasion something happens. But even with all of that, the only thing that stopped it was removing her from the situation. She had a part time job in a hairdressing salon and they offered her an apprenticeship and she left the school. Not long after that, one of the offending kids finally got kicked out of the school but it was all too little too late for my niece. Good luck. Kids, particularly girls, are just so horrible sometimes.