Help! Where does vegetarian start?

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP and also a reasonably new vegetarian (3months). I'm relearning the whole food thing since almost having a heart attack. I'm 42, a mother of three and wife to a nurse.
I'm well aware the need for protein in losing weight but since rice, potatoes, pasta etc are a big part of a vegetarians diet (well mine at this point anyway!) I'm not sure where to cut back as I don't think I could JUST do non starch veges.
Also, what is the best oil to use. I've heard Rice Bran Oil is much healthier than Olive Oil. Any advice? I go to Curves Gym at least 3-4 times a week. I need to lose about 90lbs to fall pregnant. Where do I start? Help!

Replies

• Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Much bigger part of the diet for me (I'm vegetarian for 20 years now) would be pulses. Lentils & beans & tofu have a TON of protein and are healthy and yummy ;) You can also use quinoa or couscous to mix things up a bit. Use wholegrain/brown rice/pasta etc. They're higher in calories but not the empty kind so it's all good :)
    Not sure if you're including eggs into your diet or not, but if you do, they're also a great source of protein.

Hope that helps :)
  • sabriel
    sabriel Posts: 46
    Options
    Hey,
    I've been veggie for about 7 years now.
    Before I was dieting a lot of my diet was potatoes and pasta too but they are high in calories. I find now I eat noodles lots instead of pasta dishes. Have you tried sweet potatoes? I also eat lot of Quorn foods, especially the chicken style pieces.
    For protein I eat lots of eggs often egg whites to avoid the calories. I also use a protein shake on gym days.
    I also use a 1 calorie spray oil since I found out how many calories were in olive oil. (I used to not even log it!)
    I hope this is some help. :)
  • Rohbean
    Rohbean Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try some of the Morningstar Farms soy-protein products... they're really tasty. I've been eating them for years! Grillers (veggie burgers), Breakfast Patties, and Griller Crumbers (ground beef substitute) are some of my favorites.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hi,
    cutting back on saturated fat/animal fat is great for your heart, more plant based meals especially vegetables, beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, seitan etc raher than carb heavy meals will make you feel better,

the 'happy herbivores' group on here is great, join that if you want more vegan/vege friends!

there are many websites that can help with recipe and meal ideas, i find the national societies best e.g. vegan society, vegetarian society etc as they have info on balanced nutrition,

feel free to add em and have a look at my diary although not always as good as i would like it to be!!

and i prefer to use extra virgin rapeseed oil, i get a local one made in yorkshire, (UK) as its high in monounsaturated fat which is good for your heart and less saturated fat than olive oil, but watch how much you use as too much fat adds up in calories!

good luck x
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think you need to be careful with loading up on potatoes, rice, etc. I was vegetarian until the start of this year but have now started eating seafood as I found that my carbs were way too high. I also got really hungry not long after I'd eaten because I wasn't getting a lot of protein or fat.

Are you eating seafood? (And I hate asking that because when people asked me I used to always think "I said vegetarian, what do they think fish are? Plants?") But I do find it helpful to have protein. Otherwise eggs, protein powder...

Are you vegetarian just for health reasons or moral reasons too?
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks. Yes, I've started using legumes, and quinoa, and I'm discovering Tofu (the cream cheese is yum!) but not sure how to get around so many recipes that use so much oil!!! I do use eggs but that's the only animal protein apart from the little cheese I eat.Oh yes, the rare tuna or salmon. I'm trying to discover lower fat healthier recipes that replace the Pasta etc. Any ideas?
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your reply!
    I actually almost had a heart attack about 3.5 months ago. Scared the #$%%^ out of me! I immediately went to a naturopath and he agreed that I need to head to a plant based diet and hubby's got gallstones so he needed the change. I have three children and am finding it hard not to live on carbs so I can fill their tummys while they're growing. I've also discovered Quorn and love it! It's really made the transition easier for me but I would really like to find some recipes using it with no rice or pasta or potatoes as a side! Any ideas? I do eat Tofu, eggs and once in a blue moon tuna or salmon (maybe 1-2 a year) but then I watched Paul McCartney's "If Slaughterhouses had Glass walls" and can't turn back!!!
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Fantastic! Thanks!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 12 years and vegan for the last 8 of those. It important to eat whole foods and not the processed stuff. Fruit, vegetables, lentils, beans, rice, nuts...etc...If you are still doing eggs and dairy then there is a lot of protein right there. If not (like me) I still do soy, coconut or almond yogurts, milks and "cheeses".

My favorite breakfast right now is So Delicious Coconut Milk Greek Style yogurt with frozen blueberries, cinnamon and sliced almonds.

For lunch look for a good soup (Lentil, Sambar, Bean, vegetable...etc) and a salad (veggies, avocado, some nuts) with balsamic and olive oil.

Good snacks are raw almonds and dried fruit, hummus and veggies (celery, carrots, jicama)

For dinner I will have a cup of rice or pasta with some sort of bean or vegetable mixture.

It is pretty easy. They key is research. FInd what you like, try something new every once and a while to open up you options and have a menu plan.

My favorite cookbooks are Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon

Good luck.
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Thanks! I can't get Morning Star in Australia but I can get Quorn and Fry's vege Mock meat products. So I think I'll start hoing into them!
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome! Thanks!
  • sabriel
    Options
    I make stir-fry quite regularly with Quorn pieces with noodles. The Quorn website has a lot of recipes. Have you tried Linda McCartney foods? The burgers are really good and have only about 60 calories.
    Feel free to add me and look at my diary.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian all my life. 20 years.
    I usually eat brown rice, lentils, cous cous.. vegetables. Not really keen on fruits but when Im craving I go for it.
    Check out my diary if you want to, just add me first.
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    This is wonderful! Thanks for your tips!
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Thanks people! One question, since I've only been on here about 1/2 hr, I have no idea how to "add" people! Sorry to be an ignoramus, could someone guide me on how to do this? (and I call myself "wisewoman!!!LOL)
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Don't worry! I've just figured it out! Thanks!
  • sabriel
    Options
    Oh I also have a really good book. It's for students really but that means the meals are cheap and simple to make.
    I love it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Nosh-Students-Cookbook-Previous/dp/0954317971/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334491468&sr=8-1
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and can only mimic most of the advice you've already been given. I'll just add that as a meat replacement, I'm a big fan of seitan (wheat gluten). I like it better than tofu (i'm trying to limit my soy intake) and you can actually make seitan yourself pretty easily.

Others have suggested getting a good vegetarian cookbook (there are plenty out there), I'll just add that I've found TONS of great recipe and meal ideas online (both Web sites and blogs, just Google "vegetarian recipes"). You also might want to consider joining one or more of the vegetarian groups here on MFP. The "Team Vegan" and "Happy Herbivores" groups both have pinned recipe threads.

Good luck!
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and also a reasonably new vegetarian (3months). I'm relearning the whole food thing since almost having a heart attack. I'm 42, a mother of three and wife to a nurse.
    I'm well aware the need for protein in losing weight but since rice, potatoes, pasta etc are a big part of a vegetarians diet (well mine at this point anyway!) I'm not sure where to cut back as I don't think I could JUST do non starch veges.
    Also, what is the best oil to use. I've heard Rice Bran Oil is much healthier than Olive Oil. Any advice? I go to Curves Gym at least 3-4 times a week. I need to lose about 90lbs to fall pregnant. Where do I start? Help!

I'm a vegetarian and rarely eat rice, potatoes or pasta. There is so much more! =) As others have said, there's plenty of protein out there, even if you rely on the packaged stuff to start out with. Seitan is yummy and easy to make.. Beans/legumes/quinoa. Kale Chips (Yum!), lentils and chickpeas.. If you eat eggs, eggs and egg whites can be used for protein as well. (I have pet chickens so I eat eggs). If you are eating dairy, greek yogurt has a ton of protein and if you can eat the plain stuff with some fruit, even better.

If you must have pasta or rice, try the brown stuff first. I also like fibergourmet pasta.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Non-meat eater for over 19 years now. I've been actively tryng to up my protein and eat healthier foods lately. Here's what my diet mainly consists of:

Tofu
    Quorn
    Tempeh
    Soya
    Cashew nuts
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    Avocado
    Olive oil
    Asparagus
    Broccolli
    Cabbage
    Qunoa
    Brown rice (some say it's the devil but i love it!)
    Lots of beans & pulses (chickpeas, red kidney, black beans, lentils etc)
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
    Eggs
    Mushrooms
    Milk
    Soy
    Bananas
    Berries
    Peppers
    Peanut Butter
    Celery
    Tortilla wraps
    Loads of veg (I like root veg but trying to eat more leafy green)

Meals can be stir fry, curry, stew, salad, wraps, anything you can think of really. Just add tofu, quorn, or soya as a meat replacement.

I usually always hit my protein goal now with the above, but if you're lacking you can also make your own protein shake from milk or soy milk, with added dried milk powder and banana (cheap version) :bigsmile: