HIIT Running programs please??

Options
I've recently started high intensity interval running on the treadmill at my gym, right now Im doing 2-3mins warm up jog then 20second sprint with 40second rest. I put the treadmill to as fast as I can go (usually around 15.5kmph (9.6mph) and I have the incline to level 6 which is pretty steep considering I struggle to walk on 6! I do the sprints about 6-7 times but I don't know if it's enough? I'd love to hear other peoples programs!! Thanks!

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I do 2 min warm up, 8 sprints, 2 min cool down
    I started with 30 sec sprint 90 sec low, but I'm heading toward 60/60 (doing 50/70 currently)
    then I'll try to switch to 30/30 - 16 sprints.

You should aim for 90% HRmax when you sprint, and 60% when you do your low interval, speed and incline are less important here
  • grainne_eire
    Options
    Thank you! I originally started with 60/60 but it was at a way slower pace than what I'm able to do now. Are you seeing good results from it? Must invest in a HRM!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anaerobic : 12-15 minutes
    15 seconds sprint ..(8.5-9.0) 15 sec rest on side of machine
    i've recently moved this on to the track because by the last few sprints, it's harder to jump up on th side of the machine

aerobic:
    30-45 minutes 2 minute easy recovery pace (5.2) / 1 minute faster pace (6.2). night a sprint but a fast run

aerobic /anaerobic threshold
    21 minutes :1.5 min recovery pace (5.2)/ 30 seconds fast pace (7.0)

of course you can use your own settings on the treadmill, those are just the ones that's using at the moment.

and yes i've made a lot of progress back in january, my anaerobic speed was 7.0. my recovery pace was 4.0 and my fast pace was 5.0
  • brentsblog
    brentsblog Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Row 30 seconds flat out
    Rest 30 seconds
    Burpees 30 seconds flat out
    Rest 30 Seconds

Repeat and see how many you can do :) first 2 might seem ok get a few more under your belt and tell me how you go. I can usually average my heart rate between 165 - 170 for this.

Skip - Double unders 10 or 20 depending on your fitness - sprint 30 seconds my heart rate during sprinting/skipping 170-176 and my max heart rate is 189.

I don't normally come follow routines its easier just to make your own they are generally funner then you can adjust accordingly such as shorter rest period or longer intensity if you feel the need.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I originally started with 60/60 but it was at a way slower pace than what I'm able to do now. Are you seeing good results from it? Must invest in a HRM!

yes
    I have imporved my VO2max (heart capacity to transport oxygen)
    and I defenitely see diference, my heart slows down way faster then it used too,
    I walk faster, and my hr while walking/ jogging is lower, also my resting hr is lowering.
    I love the idea of my heart getting stronger/younger :)
    and yes, hrm would really help you with sprints
    it can be a cheap one, but with a strap.