Stretching, who does it?

Options
GroupXZ
GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
I am just trying to find some daily stretches that will increase my flexibility.

Replies

• bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get up and do yoga. Just a little 20 minute routine to get my blood flowing.
  • jewelsc1
    jewelsc1 Posts: 26
    Options
    There are a lot of different stretches you can do. Depends on which muscles you want to target. Hamstrings, quads, piriformis, and gastroc (calf) stretces for your legs would be good to increase flexibility for lower body. You can google them for pictures. They would be difficult to describe on here. Just be sure that you are holding the stretch for at least 30 seconds to allow the muscle time to stretch (no bouncing). 30 sec x 3 reps is good.
  • jewelsc1
    jewelsc1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes, Yoga is great for stretching!
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I might have to look into this Yoga.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Stretching bores the Hell out of me so I usually only do a few minutes after each workout.

I do try and do at least one yoga session per week, though. Some of the postures in yoga really get to bits of your body that regular "sports stretching" doesn't. Pigeon/Runner's Pose gets my glutes and hips in such a way that it can actually bring tears to my eyes, and I've never been able to hit that spot with regular stretching.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yoga also really highlights your weaknesses. I always thought I was flexible as I have a flexible spine and hamstrings. But yoga really highlighted how tight my shoulders were after years of weight training, as well as how tight my inner thighs are. I've also found it's also good for hitting those little stabilisation muscles that even heavy squats and presses can miss.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and general stretches in between sets when I strength train. 30 min stretches over the space of 1.5 - 2 hours makes a big difference for me.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I stretch for five minutes and then move to a few situps, pushups, and chair dips to warm up my muscles and then I'm ready to workout. I find I'm a lot less sore if I stretch and warm up my muscles first.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Stretching as part of a workout, or in its own right (i.e. Yoga, Pilates)? Generally speaking I do five minutes of dynamic stretching (i.e. actively moving, working down - so starting with neck, arms, core, legs, ankles) before a workout, then five minutes of static as a cool down (mentioned further up - basically holding muscles at their 'full stretch' for a period of about 30 seconds each). It's boring, but it tends to cut down on post workout pain considerably for me.

I've also been vaguely considering buying some resistance bands and combining these with some stretching routines, would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with these?