Smoker's That Wants to Lose Weight

Options
I am new to this site and I am looking to lose 40lbs - 50lbs. I am looking for people with similar weight loss goals that are smokers. I know from my own experience that trying to lose weight by eating right and exercise is hard enough as it is, and I find it even harder as a smoker. I also find it frustrating to quit smoking because last time I did I gained a lot of weight and then I started smoking again because of the stress of weight gain.

I would love to hear any tips anyone has, or a weight loss success story of a smoker would be cool. Or even just to be support to each other, because going it alone is always harder.

Replies

• Mike244
    Mike244 Posts: 8
    Options
    I quit smoking just over a year ago. I gave up on losing weight because I couldn't lose weight and not smoke at the same time. Here I am a year later, smoke free and almost halfway to my goal of 40lbs. lost. Not sure I have any special tips for you, but I wanted to wish good luck nonetheless.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Baby steps.

I got rid of the cigarettes, then dealt with the weight gain part. I started at 245 (at least 15 after quitting) and couldn't run a city block.

A year and a half later, I've lost 35 lbs and have finished two half marathons.

Baby steps.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit many times, and started smoking again each time out of vanity when I gained weight. This time, I made myself accept the weight gain, reasoning that i can lose the weight, but I can't lose cancer or emphysema.

After I felt I was secure in my quit (2 months and 20# later), I started changing my eating and exercise habits, and life has never been better! I am healthier, stronger, and thinner than I've ever been in my life. My last pulmonary function test (work-place required), the pulmonologist said the improvement was phenomenal, and if I continued to do what I've been doing, by next year, I should have function equal to someone who has never smoked. Talk about an incentive!! March 23rd will be one year for me, after 29 yrs of a 2 pack a day habit.

As a current smoker, you can still reach your weight loss goals, but physical activity is going to be more of a challenge. I wish you the best of luck, and a healthy journey!
  • jcash6929
    Options
    Smoking certainly makes it harder to exercise, but it can be done. I am about a pack a day smoker and was able to lose about 45lbs last year (I gained back 17 that's why I'm here). I even managed to survive P90X while smoking so it's possible. Just keep in mind that whether you smoke or not, exercising will be difficult in the beginning. The trick is just to start out slow and work your way toward what ever goal you have. I personally just started out walking and then went to jogging, and then to working out with bands to doing P90X with free weights. After being pretty much a bum for the last 6 months or so, I am back at it and it's just as hard now as it was then. Just make up your mind to do it, and if quitting smoking is part of your plan then I wish you luck. I am starting a smoking cessation class next week so hopefully it will help me.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 on quitting. It will be 4 on Friday. I used the patch. I used EVERY quit tool atleast 3x (Chantix, gum, hypnosis, wellbutrin, cold turkey, ....). I was just ready this time. I have replaced smoking with running/walking/going to the gym. My job has been really stressful so I was afraid that I would gain a ton of weight. But, I haven't. And a previous poster said, you can lose weight, but you can't lose cancer. WOW. True.
    I know you can do both, and if you gain a little..your body will regulate. It always does!!

Good luck my friend!
  • fluff_b_gone
    Options
    I am new to the site. since january of 2011 ive lost 120 lbs. quitting smoking is on my to do list ,but as of now it is at the bottom. im looking to lose another 50 lbs or so , anyone feel free to friend me and id be glad to tell you more . good luck to all
  • saraann752003
    Options
    I guess I'm an odd ball, but I've got both going at the same time... down from a pack a day to some days having one... but never more than 3 now (4 months into it)... I have been doing x-fit for 2 months, paleo diet and set a goal to be smoke free by sometime in april...

so far although the pounds aren't drastic, I lost lots of inches...

I wish you luck!!!
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the reply's and private messages to my topic. Also that no one pointed out my silly spelling/grammar error in my Topic line, it should be Want not Wants! lol :)

I have found so far everyone's story's and feed back helpful, inspiring and positive. It has made me a little more confident as I start my journey into weight loss and good health. I am overwhelmed by everyone's kindness and great attitudes, I am very glad to have joined this site. I am also glad to know that there are people out there that have already accomplished what I am trying to do, it gives me hope my future goals!

Thanks everyone, Cheers!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and I am looking to lose 40lbs - 50lbs. I am looking for people with similar weight loss goals that are smokers. I know from my own experience that trying to lose weight by eating right and exercise is hard enough as it is, and I find it even harder as a smoker. I also find it frustrating to quit smoking because last time I did I gained a lot of weight and then I started smoking again because of the stress of weight gain.

I would love to hear any tips anyone has, or a weight loss success story of a smoker would be cool. Or even just to be support to each other, because going it alone is always harder.

i struggled with the same issue until i got the Allen Carr book. i even lost an extra 10 pounds or so before quitting because i thought i'd gain weight. quit in June of '08, and did not gain the weight back.
  • cortlee22
    cortlee22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am doing both right now i have smoked for 15 years & it is super hard to motivate yourself to quit or to start a fitness program let alone both at the same time i have no advice because i know that it is a constant struggle it seems if im not craving a smoke im craving food but i just keep telling myself i can do this & quitting does NOT have to equal weight gain i wish you the best of luck
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a ton of weight to lose when I signed up on MFP last Dec, but I joined this site because I wanted to build a healthier lifestyle while I worked on quitting the habit.

I was never a heavy smoker but I smoked Camels for more than 13 years before I decided to switch to Marlboro Lights when this year began. The sharp drop in nicotine was felt almost immediately but since I was already tracking calories, I couldn't allow myself to snack on crap. After two months, my craving for nicotine has dropped considerably. I'm also now down to 3 sticks a day.

Exercising *is* hard when you have nicotine in your blood but it's doable. My goal to quit smoking is getting closer, too. Once my current stash is gone, I'm done.
  • toglamgirl
    Options
    Hey - 4 years ago (April 6 2008) - I quit smoking after 35 years of having the "monkey" on my back. I had to make a decision. I would say the same to you. Choose your battle - I agree with the other posters - It's never easy - try to quit then worry about the weight later - any doctor would tell you that they would rather you quit smoking first. Whatever you do, good luck and if you ever want any non-smoking tips, let me know. Take care...
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm here because I've stopped smoking and am petrified of gaining weight. Like you, whenever I have stopped in the past, I have gained weight and out of vanity have started again simply to lose the weight. When I've told people this, they think it is outrageous but that was just me. I stopped 4 weeks ago (5 weeks on Monday) using the Allan Carr book. I am here because I want to make sure that eating doesn't replace smoking. Up until now I have fluctuated a little (literally a couple of lbs) but nothing drastic. But the last two days have been unusually bad on cravings and as such I have binged. I'm trying to look forward and think that I had binge days as a smoker (who doesn't?) so not to dwell on it but i am worried that I'm on a spiral. I think I am rambling but really my point is that although I'm not a 'smoker that wants to lose weight', I'm a 'non smoker who doesn't want to gain weight', i think alot of people that have posted here will see that it is kind of the same thing!
  • cdmeyer
    cdmeyer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post. I am embarrased to post anything about being a smoker. What makes it worse is that I am a nurse and know better, and have taken care of many many people with copd that are on oxygen and can barey breathe. I want to quit, but every time I think about quitting I get nervous which just makes me want another ciggarette. I know it would sound silly to someone who isn't a smoker. I am a home health nurse and drive from house to house all day. Any suggestions on how to break my habbit? I know I will feel better once I quit.
  • Mike244
    Options
    :happy:
    I'm glad I found this post. I am embarrased to post anything about being a smoker. What makes it worse is that I am a nurse and know better, and have taken care of many many people with copd that are on oxygen and can barey breathe. I want to quit, but every time I think about quitting I get nervous which just makes me want another ciggarette. I know it would sound silly to someone who isn't a smoker. I am a home health nurse and drive from house to house all day. Any suggestions on how to break my habbit? I know I will feel better once I quit.

I almost feel like I cheated when I quit smoking. My last cigarette was more than a year ago...I was at the oncology unit waiting to hear the results of my mom's biopsy. The oncologist confirmed what we already knew...lung cancer caused from smoking. I couldn't bring myself to light up after hearing the news and that was 1 year ago last month. I just wanted to say that I know where you're coming from. Good luck to you!
  • Mike244
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • SarahOgo
    SarahOgo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also am a smoker and someone trying to lose weight. Not heavy, maybe 8 cigs a day, because I am also a teacher and spend most of my day with little kids. NO ONE I work with knows I smoke. I hide it very well, but because I do I know I am embarrassed and need to quit it will be a victory for me when I do.
    I wish everyone on here the best of luck.