WOMEN ONLY*

Options
its so hard to lose weight on your period. mainly when all you want is chocolate! how can you deal with it?! does anyone have any successful tips i can use when its that time of month?

Replies

• salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't got anything remotely helpful.

I tend to give in to my cravings :tongue: Mind you I have never been a massive binger per-se.

In general i do use water / tea to curb cravings for things though.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I read an article the other day that said you actually need more calories during your period. Is it true or not? I don't know, but I just go ahead and eat a few extra anyways, and by the time it's gone my weight seems to have gone back to normal, or even a little less.
    Here is a good article with some info: this one says your metabolism actually naturally increases before your period.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/441187-do-i-need-more-calories-during-my-period/
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am not one to talk on this, this month, i have given into every craving for the last week. It sure doesn't help having easter candy in the house either. Thinking of sending it all somewhere else. lol.

Generally I try to snack on sweet stuff like apple slices with fat free caramel dip (watch your portions)
    If I must give in I have a fiber one chocolate bar or a skinny cow candy bar or even a weight watchers ice cream cone. Helps me keep track and stay accountable but also satisifies the urge to have something sweet.
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work in a small piece of good chocolate, like a Dove - few calories, esp the dark chocolate ones. It's hard, but give yourself only small allowances.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Just eat some chocolate :) everything in moderation always.
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother weighing myself at that time of the month because I know I will be up a few pounds from water/bloating and if I weigh in it just makes me mad lol. For the craving you could try low cal hot chocolate that usually does the trick for the chocolate cravings :)
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    Exercise more to offset the chocolate?
  • rainbowbright3
    rainbowbright3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find that I don't measure my weight during that time so it doesn't bother me. Your weight should fluctuate and it's not best to weigh yourself everyday. Take it as a weighing-in vacation!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Keeping your blood sugar even throughout the day will help with the cravings. If you give in to the chocolate then you'll end up on a rollercoaster ride with spikes in blood sugar and crashes leaving you craving more and more. For me it's best to just stay away from the sugar.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would say eat some chocolate but ...... make sure the rest of the food you eat is good and try to get some exercise. I sometimes allow myself 3 hersey kisses. I savor them one at a time and I think about the taste and everything about them. you can walk off the calories. I am hoping this isn't bad idea for you.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate. Dark chocolate. Sometimes with nuts.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that my TOM affects loss at all. If I have chocolate cravings, I budget the calories for it! That's what keeps me on track. You CANNOT give up chocolate, that would be a horrible fate!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas, which help with the cramps. I eat chocolate, because I feel like it. And I walk around/still go to the gym because I'm gonna have my period every month for the next few decades and it's not fair to myself to hold off on everything just because of it.

Also, I don't weigh that week, because I know that the scales will be up, and that it's not a "true" gain. But, I don't find it imperative to show a loss every week, so that mindset may contribute to my ability to back off the scale.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I found these things that are chocolate that you might like or could try:
    Nestle hot Cocoa 80 cals
    Fiber one chocolate chewy bars 140 cals
    Choc cherrios 3/4 cup and 1/2 skim milk 140 cals
    skinny cow fudge bars 100 cals
    yopliat delights- choc Raspberry 100 cals
    Jello pudding cups 90 or 100 cals depending on kind you choose.
    silk light milk choc soy 90 cals

Maybe you would like some of these.
    Good Luck! :)