No weight loss...

Options
So I'm at a standstill. Not sure what's going on with my body, but its not workin for me. I'm at 157.4 today. (morning weight even! which is usually the lowest) My goal weight is 130 (range, whatever feels/looks the best, even if its more than 130) and my starting weight is 156.4, which isn't even the lowest I've been lately. But since I've started working out, I haven't seen 153.Which is what my start weight SHOULD'VE been. When I started working out I gained up to 163 at the most. I started working out at the end of January, not really regularly until the end of February. Since then I've worked out at least 3 times a week. Mainly Cardio, because I'm not sure where to start with anything else. I throw in crunches and lunges when I feel froggy, and occasionally work out on a weight machine. But after I started logging with MFP, I *thought* I lost some weight, I weighed in at 155.4, a number I haven't seen since that day. So I'm not really sure what's going on, or why I'm not losing anything really, inches are the same also. I'm so impatient, and for me not to see any result, is sooooo frustrating. I"ve been trying to eat up to and just under my calorie goal, which somedays I'm awesome at, and others I go over. I've made the direct correlation between workingout=more food, So I try to practice for that. Any tips/advice would be great. Some encouraging words, that aren't all fluffy would rock too. I don't have *alot* to lose necessarily, and my husband and mom say that's why I'm not seeing fast/instant results, because I'll have to work harder to lose then someone with like 100lbs to lose. I honestly don't want fluff, so if you feel like telling it like it is, schweet. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• mom22yorkies
    Options
    Hi, I can't see you diary to see you calorie intake and exercise calories burned, so not sure how many people will be able to help you out. I started my weight loss journey in Jan and have lost 9.2 pounds. Only 6 of that since I started MFP about 55 days ago. I have however lost 2 sizes in my clothes, so it always isn't about the scale. We have similar goals and share current weight. If you need support on MFP, you may friend me if you like. I don't have all the answers, but I know how frustrating this can all be at times when you feel like you are doing all the right things, but the scale isn't showing you any love.... hang in there and keep on doing the execise and healthy eating and hopefully you will find the right combination to see you through to goal.... :)
  • spedwife
    spedwife Posts: 25
    Options
    I think I unlocked it! I didn't know it was private. Thanks :)
  • jconnors2012
    jconnors2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey, try eating a cleaner diet. I only went back a few days but i notice fast food almost everyday. Use those calories on things like lean meat, fish and vegetables and maybe throw in a few nuts like almonds or pistachios. This might help. Either way its better for you! Good luck
  • amydeb
    amydeb Posts: 1
    Options
    HI, I too have similar weight and loss goals. I worked with a trainer to help me understand the cardio heartrate zones. This could help you make your workout time more impactful and meaningful. I have dropped a total of 20 lbs. but have recently gained about 3, but maintained inches off. I do cardio with a heart rate monitor 3-5 times a week, sometimes more and toning and weights 2-3 times. I am currently at a stand still so I will be reassessing my heartrate, because the more fir and muscular you are the more your heartrate gets "healthy". Currently stuck at 158 but hanging in there. Hope that helps.
  • hocuspogas
    hocuspogas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe your husband and mother is correct. The more you have to lose the faster it comes off. As you get closer to your desired goal it will be harder. I have been up and down in my weight for 10 years and have the same troubles as you. Your body is probably getting use to your current diet, you may need to change something. Don't forget as you are working out your body is reducing fat but your muscles are getting more dense. You must not give up, that is the hardest part. I know how discouraging it is when you step on the scale and don't see the difference you were looking. How often are you eating? You should really try to eat every 2 hours and drink a lot of water.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Too much eating out. Many days you are eating the bulk of your calories at a restaurant where the food is high fat/very high sodium.
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    Ok, here are just a couple observations. I would try to get to reduce the processed foods to more lean proteins and fruit and veggies. I would reduce the cardio and add strength training. I love cardio, it is my stress reliever, so I have to do cardio... So I do 30 minutes of cardio on my strength training days (3 days a week) and I do two long sessions of 60 minutes on the days I don't doing strength training. Do you workout at home or a gym? There are some great videos to help you in the strength training dept if you only work out at home. Also, just my opinion, your carb counts are pretty high, somedays over 200, I would try to reduce that somewhat, but then again, if you start eating less processed stuff, and more good healthy stuff, that will naturally come down a bit. : ) As I said earlier , I am no expert and can only share with you what is helping me. Everybody is different, and has different likes and dislikes, you just have to find a starting point and fine tune it to meet your needs. : )
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are just a couple observations. I would try to get to reduce the processed foods to more lean proteins and fruit and veggies. I would reduce the cardio and add strength training. I love cardio, it is my stress reliever, so I have to do cardio... So I do 30 minutes of cardio on my strength training days (3 days a week) and I do two long sessions of 60 minutes on the days I don't doing strength training. Do you workout at home or a gym? There are some great videos to help you in the strength training dept if you only work out at home. Also, just my opinion, your carb counts are pretty high, somedays over 200, I would try to reduce that somewhat, but then again, if you start eating less processed stuff, and more good healthy stuff, that will naturally come down a bit. : ) As I said earlier , I am no expert and can only share with you what is helping me. Everybody is different, and has different likes and dislikes, you just have to find a starting point and fine tune it to meet your needs. : )

Mom22yorkies,
    I am interested in the weight training dvd's you have in mind. Any suggestions?
    I currently do Jm 30 day shred and ripped in 30 but I am looking for other ideas!

thanks!
  • mom22yorkies
    Options

Mom22yorkies,
    I am interested in the weight training dvd's you have in mind. Any suggestions?
    I currently do Jm 30 day shred and ripped in 30 but I am looking for other ideas!

thanks!

The ones I use and like when I do a home workout are Jillian M "No More Trouble Zones" Jari Love "Ripped" Cathy Friedrich "Butts and Gutts" and "Muscle Max".. Also, Trainers Edge "Integrated Strength Training.... most of the time though, i do my strengtth training in the gym.
  • spedwife
    Options
    Okay, I do have to clear something up, I don't eat fast food, or even OUT very often. If it says I do, its because I picked a food that's closesst to the description. I cook/eat at home mostly, (a few subway days in there lately). I have access to a gym, and there is a heart rate monitor on all of the cardio machines, I check my heart rate frequently during workouts. Depending on the day it varies between low and high intensity. When I do workout, all I drink is water for the day, usually meeting my water goal. If I don't workout, then my whole day is crap lol. Thanks for all the great tips!
  • spedwife
    Options
    Ah ha, I just went back and looked at the last few days, and correction I did eat pizza. :) But otherwise the rest of the eating out besides subway, is a guess at what would closely match what I'm eating. I think I would DIE without carbs by the way. I <3 my carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What did you set you weight loss goal and your activity level at on MFP?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    k like you said in the first post... im just gonna tell it like it is.

the goal when losing weight is to maintain the muscle mass while shedding body fat if the goal is aesthetics. now to maintain muscle mass there is a basic simple formula that you should follow and basic diet guidelines. caloric intake is most definately important for weight loss but energy balance between macronutrients is important as well...

with that said you should change the macornutrient ratios and you will probably have more success.. i looked at your diet and in my opinion it was way out of proportion in terms of the amounts of fats, carbs, and proteins and this is the formula to have ur appropriate macronutrient balance.

so you first start with your caloric needs which u determined is 1100 i believe.

2nd step is you determine how much protein you need in a day so you take ur bodyweight at i think it was 157lbs and determine the lean body mass u have or the amount of weight on ur body that is not fat... so basically you have to find ur body fat % but for now lets say .8g per lb of body mass since ur a woman and its 1g per lb if ur a man... so roughly you need 126g of protein a day (157x.8=125.6) and that would put u at roughly 20% body fat (157-125.6=31.4) (31.4/157=.20% body fat)... hope you followed the math so u know how to figure it out once u know ur body fat %

3rd step is to find out how much fat you need in a day and this one is easy roughly 1/4 of ur bodyweight in fat so (157/4=39.25g fat)

last step is to figure out how many carbs you need and to find this one it takes a little more math... protein is 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram and basically we just have the rest of the calories from carbohydrates so...

126g protein x 4= 504
    39g fat x 9= 351
    504+351= 855
    1100-855= 245
    245/4= 61g carbs

so the macros would look like 126g protein, 39g fat, and 61g carbs in order to maintain muscle mass and keep ur metabolic rate from slowing down while losing calories asuming ur body fat is at 20% and u only can eat 1100 calories a day.

these are the basic guidelines most people should follow when constructing a weight loss diet because its imperative that people keep their muscle mass on their body because muscle is the key to success.

any questions ask.

* correction i just went back and saw that ur caloric needs were above 1100 calories so u just take 855 from whatever ur caloric goal is then get the number and divide by 4 for number of carbs per day
  • spedwife
    Options
    Goal is 30 lbs, activity is moderate or light I think? When I'm not working out, I'm just doing household things, cleaning, cooking, playing with child, so nothing too exciting/active.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Goal is 30 lbs, activity is moderate or light I think? When I'm not working out, I'm just doing household things, cleaning, cooking, playing with child, so nothing too exciting/active.

Sorry for all the questions - but how tall are you? You base looks really low at 1200.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

The goal in mind here is the pounds per week. It likely should not be higher than 1 pound per week.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    The only thing I noticed was not much exercise and a lot of processed foods. Not that my dairy is much better but Every day you have some fast food. Red Robin, burger king, McDonald. I suggest making your meals to go the night before if your eating out because you work. try to balance your meals about more or try to eat 4 300-400 calorie meals. If your not into running maybe try biking or something you do like.
  • spedwife
    Options
    OH that goal, its 2lbs per week. I DO run. I enjoy running, but it hurts. How much excercise should I be doing? :/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OH that goal, its 2lbs per week. I DO run. I enjoy running, but it hurts. How much excercise should I be doing? :/

You should only be setting yourself at 1lb a week as you have less than 50lb to lose.

With regard to how much exercise you should be doing, that mostly preferance, but a few suggestions are:

- do not overtrain - give yourself at least 1, but preferably 2 rest days
    - try to get a couple of sessions of strength training in
    - mix up the cardio between low and high intensity (cardio is not actually necessary for weigh loss - but it does allow you to eat more and still keep a deficit and it has other benefits)
    - fuel your workouts (eat enough)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I dunno.

All those foods that you're eating, if you're just making substitutions based on fast food items, we really have no clue if they are, or if the proportions really are similar. Most people just aren't any good at size estimations, even between items. Underestimating even an ounce can get you in trouble.

A burger at home could be significantly more or less than a burger from burger king.

A monster whiskey mayo sandwich from red robin? Who knows. Fries vary from place to place based on weight and the types of oils used. One person's tilapia is cooked in oil, another is cooked with pam, one is 4 oz, the other is 8 oz.. how do you really know unless you whip out a scale.

That's what I'd do. 3 weeks of controlled eating. I'd weigh everything and it's mother and not put anything in my mouth that I couldn't verify as exactly what I thought it was made of.