Partner away a lot....

Options
Hi all,

By fluke I have managed to find a friend on here who is in exactly the same position as me, our partners are both training to become Royal Marines Commandos and so are currently undergoing 32 weeks of training meaning they are away a lot of the time, this is a big adjustment to all of our lives. Today is the last day of our men's 2 week easter break and my partner left this morning and will not be home again until August :sad:
Through meeting and speaking to someone in the same position as me, I think I am going to cope with being on my own and indeed getting motivated to get to my goal whilst he's away a lot easier.

I'm sure there must be a lot of other people on here that are on are on their own as their partner's are away a lot either in the forces or in another line of work, maybe we can all support each other?

Feel free to add me if you are in a similar position, or even if you're not!

Replies

• shelly4554
    Options
    my boyfriend is training as an army medic so i know exactly how you feel! i only got to see him once this easter break because even when he's home we live a little ways away from each other and he has family he needs to spend time with! though of course now he's back at training today it means no more late night calls that last for hours or random texts through the day because he'll be too busy :( it's hard and it sucks but i keep reminding myself that he's totally worth it :)
  • alexisguardian
    Options
    My hubby is currently deployed so I definately know how you feel. Of course this has pretty much been a constant in our 14 years of marriage, first as a soldier and now as a contractor. It is definately hard, but I also find that I use exercise as a way to refocus my attention. With 3 kids, gym time is me time (even though my oldest 2 are now starting to join me at working out) so I use it to the fullest.

At first I wanted to slim down to surprise him when he returns, but then it morphed into doing it for myself because I enjoy it and the energy and joy I get from it. I think that was the biggest change in my attitude and once I figured that out it became easier and more fullfilling.

Good luck on your journey and just know that you are not alone!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Without sounding totally gay I'm so glad I've found you chick. So nice to go through this knowing that someone actually understands where I'm coming from and what its like. We'll definitely get through it and it'll ultimately make our relationships with our men stronger. August is ages away but if we can try not to count down the days hopefully it won't seem so long. Focussing on positive things and keeping busy does help. I will mope tonight once I drop him off at the station but tomorrow gym (get some endorphines pumping) just think chick, in a few months our men will have their green berets and we'll be seeing loads more of them! We'll have reached our targets, be feeling sexy and confident! Big hugs huni we can totally do it xxxxx
  • Bellla86
    Bellla86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me too Steph, feeling a million times better and more motivated (apart from all the comfort food I've eaten today!) now that I have you to talk to!

Thanks Shelly & Alexis, it is nice knowing there is other people in the same boat xx
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Without sounding totally gay I'm so glad I've found you chick. So nice to go through this knowing that someone actually understands where I'm coming from and what its like. We'll definitely get through it and it'll ultimately make our relationships with our men stronger. August is ages away but if we can try not to count down the days hopefully it won't seem so long. Focussing on positive things and keeping busy does help. I will mope tonight once I drop him off at the station but tomorrow gym (get some endorphines pumping) just think chick, in a few months our men will have their green berets and we'll be seeing loads more of them! We'll have reached our targets, be feeling sexy and confident! Big hugs huni we can totally do it xxxxx
    It's great that you two are in this together in more ways than one! My husband works in the UK during the week while I'm here in Ireland with our 3 girls....and can be gone for up to 3 weeks at a time when things get busy....not quite the same as him being away for months on end, but sometimes it feels like!!
  • alexisguardian
    Options
    It's great that you two are in this together in more ways than one! My husband works in the UK during the week while I'm here in Ireland with our 3 girls....and can be gone for up to 3 weeks at a time when things get busy....not quite the same as him being away for months on end, but sometimes it feels like!!

My husband has done it all, weeks, months, and even the dreaded year. It is hard no matter how long they are gone, especially with kids. I also have 3 girls and the older two have lived with this their entire lives. The youngest is just now old enough to understand and truly miss her daddy. Good luck!
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I know it's not nearly as rough as having a hubby who is deployed, but my husband works in the oil field and is gone pretty about 5-6 days out of the week. I get really lonely. Feel free to friend me! I'd love to have the support of someone in my same position.
  • GouletB
    GouletB Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My husband has traveled for one reason or another since we met. Its so hard with kids, we have two, a almost five year old and a two year old. My two year old is just now starting to understand why daddy is gone. :( he's now working in the oil field 14 days on and 14days off. It makes it hard because we live 600 miles from where he works so with travel days in there I feel like we never see him and we're always adjusting to him being here or us being alone. Feel free for any of you to add me I would love some support from women who understand.
  • Bellla86
    Bellla86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry I've not been on a computer for a while and can't get to the posts on my phone.

It is really nice to hear from other people who know how it feels to be lonely cos their partner isn't there!

I will add you all, thanks for your responses xxx