Vibram Five Finger shoes?

Options
Anybody have a pair of these? How are they compared to other running shoes? I'd love to get some. They look so interesting :glasses:

fuxl5i.jpg

Replies

• rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've not ever seen them let alone worn them but I don't like the look or idea of them at all! I've had socks like that before (bits for each toe) and it just feels weird and uncomfortable. I would think it wouldn't be as good support either? Could be wrong though!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I want them too! Of the people that I know that have them, they like them, but you have to ease in to them, they really do a number on your calves if you aren't careful
  • bailamulata
    Options
    I have some that are very similar.. they are called Skele-toes and it has 4 toes only... so your little toe goes together with the second to last one... the ones I'm wearing have great arch support... but one thing I will tell you is that it's hard to find good socks for them... you only have 2 options.. the ballerina peds which end up giving you a tourniquet on your toes and it chokes them to death after a while of jogging or sprinting with them.. and the other socks with the open slits for all your toes also feel kind of uncomfortable... so you are left with no socks and when you are running...well I jog only... haven't been able to get up to running yet... well when jogging you know how your feet perspire if you are not wearing good cotton socks... well that is the problem... I went sock-less and developed a painful blister... you should go try them on and weigh your options... because when working out the last thing you need is any type of injury even as mild as a blister... good luck hon' :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i have a pair and i love them. I got them because I'd read that they strengthen the muscles/tendons/ligaments in the foot because the foot runs more naturally and can't rely on padding or shape to hold it during the run like it does in many cushioned specialty running shoes. But, a caution, begin slowly! I wore mine for about a mile and was nearly hobbled the next day because my calves weren't used to the different foot mechanics. it took a few weeks of gradually upping my mileage to get used to them. I love them, I wear them for speed runs and bootcamp classes.
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have some vivobarefoot ( similar concept) they are for barefoot running, therefore NO SUPPORT. You have to change the way you run in these or they hurt like hell!

Mine were not cheap, so research before you buy! I however do recommend.
  • Zbigniew1
    Zbigniew1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love mine. You can feel everything when running, asphalt, grass, the holes between the tiles, etc. I just did 17km (11miles) in them yesterday,

You will need to realise that you will be starting completely over with your running, since you will be using completely different muscles and tendons than when you ran before. I will recommend not more than 200 meters the first couple of times running in them, then if you fell fine the next day, up it to 500m, then slowly double it.

And no, there is no support, but it's not needed. Current running shoes (Nike Air Super++ and what not) have only been around for some 100 years and were introduced to the market because bicycle tire manufacturers wanted to expand to another market. The 2,000,000 years before that, no one was heel-striking, but everyone basically ran like small children do today before we "teach them how to run properly". If you have one around, ask him/her to run, and notice that he/she lands on her forefoot. Also this is what professional runners basically also do, both marathoners and sprinters, even if running in conventional shoes. Check out some Youtube videos and it becomes very apparent.

Sure, if you heel-strke, you will need the cushion, but humans were never intended to land on their heels which is a skeletal bon. The shock when landing goes right through the heel to your knees. When landing on your forefoot and balls of your foot, the calves are naturally absorbing the shock.

But yeah, it's a "new" thing and most likely there will be some long distance running "haters" replying to this thread, as well as the usual "don't do it, you will destroy your feet!!!!111" by people who have no idea what they are talking about, but still have a very strong opinion about them :-)
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pairs actually! One for indoors and one for outdoors.. I love them and they're much more comfortable running in then tennis-shoes (indoors or out). They're expensive but well worth it!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I own two pairs and love them both. One pair I have is for running outside (Treksport) and one for inside workouts (Kso). My outside pair have a thicker sole and I don't want to crack them by doing yoga and that inside so I got the second pair which are for yoga. I can actually feel different muscle in my legs when I run in them compared to normal running shoes. With my inside pair my feet don't slip as much as normal shoes when I'm moving but I still now where I'm placing my feet.

But they don't have as much cushioning as normal shoes and you may have a problem if you have a high arch. I love them but I've known people and heard people don't like them so I'd try on a pair before you buy them before you buy some.
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    I have vibrams. I love them.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    My husband has a pir of those and loves them. Just make sure they really fit!
  • fudie
    fudie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i love my five fingers!!!! i wore them around work and walking little by little to get my feet use to them because they are a bit different at first but after your use to them it really is like you dont have anything on your feet. they are very light and i love running in them.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Personally, they scare me. However, one of my good friends has a pair and absolutely loves them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have the brooks minimalist running shoes. I wear them for walking mostly. I walk 2.5 miles each way to work. I love them. I liked the idea of the vibrams but hate things between my toes.
  • Serenity64
    Options
    I love my five fingers! As people said, if you are used to standard running shoes, you will need to change your running style and ease into it. I came from running/walking barefoot, so these are nice because they add a bit of protection on really rough surfaces without feeling like my foot is immobilized. I still walk barefoot most of the time unless it's freezing outside or I'm doing a race on unknown surfaces.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K a few weeks ago in traditional running shoes and am now starting to transition into VFFs (the KSO model, which were on sale at REI). Taking it very slow, as others have advised. I have a long history of shin splits and ankle pain when running. So far, no problems in my VFFs.

For lots of info about these and similar "minimalist" shoes check out www.birthdayshoes.com
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've had my vibrams for about 2 weeks now. Im slowly transitioning into them.Its recommended to start slowly. I have been walking in mine for about an hr aday. I will slowly start jogging in them. Love them so far. Yesterday I did Body Pump class in them at the gym, and I felt great. My balance and stability was even better than when I wear my regular shoes.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Eeek! I can't even wear the socks that have individual toes in them - it feels horrid! Bit then, I'm funny about toes and feet anyway, so that probably doesn't help - LOL!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the input! I'm really considering trying them out! :bigsmile:
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of running, but I tried out Zumba the other day and my regular shoes hurt my feet so bad I had to take my shoes of and go bare foot. It felt so much better barefoot that I decided to seriously look into investing into a pair of these, since they are supposed to be more like going barefoot. I found some Vibram Sprints for a super great deal online last week and decided to order a pair. They came in the mail today! Unfortunately I had read the size chart wrong and ordered the wrong size. I didn't think it would be to big of a deal, but when I tried them on the were a little to snug in a couple of places so they cut into the area between a couple of toes and my Achilles. I sent them back to exchange for the next size up, the correct size. I figured I'd end up liking them better if they fit properly and more comfortably. I guess I'll have to wait a few more days to see how they work out. I'll let you know how it goes.