Butter, oil, etc

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
Think I am going to try something new. I started this morning for breaky.

Instead of using cooking spray, which who knows what that crap is made of, I'm going to simply use butter and olive oil and things like that. Back to real food all the way.

I just don't know how to log butter. When I put it in a pan, for eggs, I typically let it melt, then I take a paper towel and wipe it all out, and what's left, I use to cook. I haven't really eaten butter since my early 20's, but I have a feeling using products like ccoking spray is a bad practice. I looked at the ingrdients and saw "silicone" and I was like, WAHHHHH! That's sucks. Maybe it's OK to ingest. IDK. But, I'm going back to basics. I'll figure out how to log traces of butter and oil. But, it's gotta be better for me than cooking spray.

I'd be happy to hear your comments on this.

Thanks.

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't use butter but I use coconut oil and olive oil, they are easy to track as you can select a tbsp, 1/2 tbsp etc..
    I guess you should use a scale to make sure how many butter you are putting in your pan..:/ maybe someone more expert will answer you :)
  • neverstray
    Options
    I don't use butter but I use coconut oil and olive oil, they are easy to track as you can select a tbsp, 1/2 tbsp etc..
    I guess you should use a scale to make sure how many butter you are putting in your pan..:/ maybe someone more expert will answer you :)

A scale wouldn't help, we're talking trace amounts. I dont' put in anything measurable because whatever I drop in, I wipe out.
  • famousa88
    famousa88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, but with olive oil. I just count it as a tsp... more than what is actually in the pan, but I would rather overestimate.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I wonder if such small amounts would really add much to be tracked? Regardless, the only thing you could do to know is reverse measure. Example. Add 1 teaspoon butter. Pour out what you don't want back into a teaspoon instead of wiping and track the difference that way.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I wonder if such small amounts would really add much to be tracked? Regardless, the only thing you could do to know is reverse measure. Example. Add 1 teaspoon butter. Pour out what you don't want back into a teaspoon instead of wiping and track the difference that way.

I'm thinking it doesn't matter. Here's why. When I'm done cooking, the pan is still a little oily, meaning, it didn't all come off on the food. I mean, I wpie it out, I cook, there's still some left. I think my strategy will bee just to not track that, because it's miniscule, and see how it goes. Or I could just add 30 cals or something just as a token amount. I mean, we're talking almost nothing.

Interesting discussion though.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Or you can just use olive oil to cook with your eggs, and measure that. If I make 4-5 eggs I use a tablespoon of olive oil and count the olive oil.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Or you can just use olive oil to cook with your eggs, and measure that. If I make 4-5 eggs I use a tablespoon of olive oil and count the olive oil.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that, but a tablespoon is way too much for me. In fact, I would consider that gross. Sorry, I just don't like oil or butter. I only use it to not stick, not because I want buttery / oily food. If I could, I'd never use anything and just cook clean, but then everything sticks to the pan. Almost all of the oil, I'll wipe out.
  • Arunakae
    Arunakae Posts: 83
    Options
    I saw someone else also said something about coconut oil and I just wanted to add that coconut oil is far healthier than olive oil or butter and it adds a wonderful flavor to anything you cook it with.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    butter is very easy to log. on the side of the butter stick, there are measurements,

a tablespoon of butter is considerable; you probably use 1/4 tbs (less than a tsp) for normal cooking - at least I do.
  • neverstray
    Options
    butter is very easy to log. on the side of the butter stick, there are measurements,

a tablespoon of butter is considerable; you probably use 1/4 tbs (less than a tsp) for normal cooking - at least I do.

Yeah, maybe that's a good amount to estimate.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I use small amounts of coconut oil or bacon fat on my skillets. I usually just log in as a fraction of a tbsp .125 .25 .3 etc depending. Just a guess on my part
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you'd rather not use oil, when cooking try using broth. I don't know how great it would work for eggs, but use it to saute anything else like vegetables it works great! You can buy broth or make your own, then you know exactly what's in it. When I make my own broth, I don't add anything except the vegetables im using, I don't even add salt. It makes the meal healthier and adds a ton of flavor. And what I do when I make broth, I freeze it all in ice cube trays, and then store them in a big tupperware. When I need some broth I just use 1 cube, which approximately amounts to 1oz. I know I didn't get you any answer to your butter oil dilema, but just offering an idea.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Butter in the stick has measurements for a tablespoon written on the outside. I use butter for some things but very little. I just estimate it. I don't even use 1/4 of a tablespoon usually. I mostly use coconut oil for cooking. I just use butter when I want the taste of butter. Butter is better than the man made processed crap IMO.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I totally overestimate with oils, simply because I see the amount of olive oil I use during the day adding up. So if there's olive oil in the recipe basically I just put 1 tsp of olive oil in my diary, even if it's likely I've consumed much less.

Btw, I never knew this, but extra virgin olive oil isn't good for very high heat cooking, it has a lower smoke point and is less stable than other grades of olive oil (virgin, light, pure, etc). Use cheaper olive oils for high heat cooking, extra virgin for dishes where you want to taste the oil.

also this: 3529f7.jpg
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    omg the great value lemon polish!!! i saw that once and thought it was cooking spray too!!!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Use an oil pump/sprayer. I keep one with olive oil in it. No aerosol!

I use peanut oil in high heat applications (searing a steak for example)
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The mini pats of butter which you get in hotels/cafes etc are 7g usually which is 50 calories. Id guesstimate that you'd use about 1g or 2g if you're adding then wiping out do that'd be roughly 12 cals or so. Just do a manual add for that?
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I totally overestimate with oils, simply because I see the amount of olive oil I use during the day adding up. So if there's olive oil in the recipe basically I just put 1 tsp of olive oil in my diary, even if it's likely I've consumed much less.

Btw, I never knew this, but extra virgin olive oil isn't good for very high heat cooking, it has a lower smoke point and is less stable than other grades of olive oil (virgin, light, pure, etc). Use cheaper olive oils for high heat cooking, extra virgin for dishes where you want to taste the oil.

also this: 3529f7.jpg

I read recently that Coconut oil is one of the few oils that doe not turn to trans fat during high heat cooking. I don't know how true it is but...
  • neverstray
    Options
    Never heard of couconut oil. I'll have to try it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    This is an issue I am having too. I have a EVO spray that I use, but really, it's not enough. When I am cooking my Quorn fillets or eggs, it's not enough slick and ends up burning the pan/food. I would rather use olive oil, but it has a stupid amount of calories :( might try the coconut oil, though. Anyone know what kinda calories they are?