Newbie in Weight Training

Options
Hi everyone :)

So basically, in hopes of speeding up my weight loss, I've decided it's time to start toning up and do more strength training rather than kill myself doing cardio and wait for the fat to magically disappear.

All I wanted to know is if anyone has any tips or advice for beginners in strength training. For example, which would be more effective: Do 12-15 reps for one move, or do as many reps as I can in one minute? I want to do two muscle groups most days, so are there any muscle groups that kind of coincide that would be good to do together in one day? (Ex: Arms and shoulders, legs and glutes, etc.)

Not even five minutes ago I saw a post on here for the 8 Week Challenge on toneitup.com and decided to join. It looks like a good idea, has anyone done it before?

Lastly, I kind of want to collect multiple strength training exercises for every muscle group like: abs, arms, back, legs, etc., so I never get bored with my workouts and always have something new to do if I'm getting use to my routines. So, if you wouldn't mind sharing your favorite strength training exercises, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    NROWLFW, STARTING STRENGTH, STRONGLIFTS
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up for that challenge too, it could be good. Not really sure what it's like though, I've never done it before. So I can't really answer any of your questions but wanted to say good luck!
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    Bump, any other suggestions please?
  • rmarcum89
    Options
    Lift with somebody who knows what's going on, what exercises target the muscle groups you're trying to work. For me I do a light weight high rep to get the blood flowing and get loose, then 3-4 working sets (lift to a positive fail). It will take a few weeks to get your metabolism to kick up but when it does you'll know it. Good luck.