Thoughts on Green Tea Anyone?

Options
I've just become obsessed with drinking green tea and I've heard so many good things about it but it's hard to know what's true and which type of tea does what. So what exactly are the benefits of plain green tea?
Also if you drink it what are your experiences with it? What benefits did you clearly notice?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I do drink it, I usually just use it to help keep me full if I know it'll be a while before I eat next, or if I have few calories and need to keep from munching. It's also nice to have something flavored with things I used to pair with soda.

I drink Lipton's Diet Green Tea. No sugar or anything added, it has a tiny bit of sodium, but that's it. Definitely read labels on green tea. A LOT of them are sweetened and defeat the purpose.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump...

My dr just suggested I start drinking green tea because I can't drink coffee anymore and listed the benefits of which i already forgot. lol. I think he did mention something about it boosting metabolism but dont quote me cuz Im not sure.
  • __alamin
    __alamin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i just take greet tea extract pills. they work much better.
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i mostly noticed improvement in digestion and i didn't feel so backed up all the time
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    love green tea. bump
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking matcha, which is supposed to have the benefit of 10 cups of green tea. It is ground green tea leafs. It tastes like green tea, but for some reason, I can't keep it down.

I gave up and decided to lose weight eating/drinking healthy foods I like.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Green tea rocks!

It helps settle my stomach, helps me lose weight and helps flush out my system.

I prefer Stash brand chai green tea.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it's delicious, especially the green tea with mint.
  • cwe1229a
    cwe1229a Posts: 34
    Options
    i love green tea! i drink it from loose leaf, since i hear you get more nutrients than using a tea bag. i try to drink it at least three times a day.
  • fitnessfashionista17
    fitnessfashionista17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all I drink green tea because I actually like the taste of it and it has a good amount of caffeine, because caffeine affects me a lot so i try to limit it, but still enjoy atleast one or two cups most days

Benefits:
    increases your metabolism a little bit with every cup you drink per day
    Has antioxidants
    Gives you energy without the crash coffee has
    its a great mixer for smoothies, juice, fruit popcicles or to cook grains in (instead of water)
    I remember reading something somewhere that said it naturally detoxes toxins from your body, but I forget how

Disadvantages:
    Green tea stains your teeth
    the caffeine it in may keep you up at night if you drink it before bed
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I am a regular hot greet tea drinker. I drink about 3 cups or so. I tend to drink even more when I am studying. It seems that the green tea gives me a little energy and helps with digestion.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea (natural leaves) as I know that it doesn't have anything added to it.
    I was warned by a nutrionist not to drink too much though as it does contain caffine, so to only have 1-3 cups a day.

The Green Tea benefits :-

Antioxidant Properties
    Weight Loss (Thermogenesis, Keeps fats from oxidizing)
    Lower Possibility Of Certain Cancers
    Improving Cholesterol Levels
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Public health studies have indicated a variety of benefits although the mechanism of the observed benefits have not been elucidated. These studies basically say that certain benefits were observed in people who consumed green tea and that the probability of observing these results simply due to chance is low. These studies can rarely say for certain that green tea is the cause of these benefits, as the results could be caused by something else that the test subjects have in common. Like any public health study, some subjects experience these benefits while others do not. Very few things have exactly the same effect on every body. If you enjoy drinking green tea, it may help you and it probably won't hurt you. I should note that green tea has been demonstrated to block the activity of certain cancer drugs.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking green tea since 2005 - I brew it at home and add nothing but fresh lemon juice. I do not know that I believe any of the claims about it because if it boosted my metabolism and all that jazz I would be a tiny person since I drink about 6 cups a day. I started drinking it because my father in law was diagnosed with lung cancer and it is supposed to have something in it that kills cancer cells but now I drink it because I love it and just hope that it is good for me.
  • danigrl579
    Options
    I spent some time in Japan and got hooked on Matcha (whole leaf green tea). They sell it in apothecaries there. It has a lot of antioxidants and fiber in it and is naturally sugar free. Helps with digestion and detox. It's bitter though and we Americans love our sweets so a lot of what you find here has sugar added, so beware (Starbucks green tea lattes/frapps are my ultimate downfall!).
    I like to sweeten mine with honey, much better than diet chemical sweeteners or cane/beet sugar.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I drink it hot and cold. I think when it's cold it tastes better, when it's hot it's a bit of an acquired taste for some, but I like it. I use tea-bags. I don't add sugar to either, hot or cold. I find drinking it cold it's easier to drink more during the day. The water bottle I make it in is at least 3 coffee cups size worth. Plus with the weather changing, I am not going to want to sit around and drink hot tea all day.

I know it's a natural diuretic but I also think there are some antioxidants in there. Many good benefits of green tea.