Cycling skort - Yay or Nay?

Options
ACB42
ACB42 Posts: 40 Member
I want to try riding my bike more (um, some, since it just sits in the garage now). I have not used it much in the past because I am always so sore afterward. I think that cycling shorts would help, but don't feel comfortable in something so form-fitting. Is a cycling skort a practical option? Are they comfortable? Do they ride up or get in the way? Any particular brand/style suggestions? I am about 5'1", if that makes a difference.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wear my work out shorts over my cycling shorts. The skort seems cute, but I'd be self conscious.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought a new seat for my bike with gel cushion ... made a HUGE difference!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Wear those comfortable, nicely padded biking shorts but you might wish to consider buying a American made kilt (polyblend fabric). I have two from sportkilt dot com. They are very comfortable and the pleats stay nice.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I didn't know those existed.... hmmmmm.... sounds kinda cute...
    Now I'm curious to see what the MFP peeps think.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Target has workout skirts that have shorts attached for about 15-20 dollars. I am 5ft and 1/2 and they are the perfect length. The only downside is that there is not an inside pocket, so you will have to have some other way to hold your keys, etc.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have these but I find I get awfully weird looks when I wear them to the gym. Be prepared to know that people think you're cycling in a skirt.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love my Athleta skirts with built-in shorts, the longer ones are perfect for riding my bike (it is a cruiser). I wear them all the time, not just when I'm going to go for a ride!

I have some shorter running skirts -- those I do not wear on the bike. They are meant for running, so on a bike they ride way up and are shorter than regular length bike shorts.

Here's my favorite for biking: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46843&vid=1&pid=683764
  • marzekiel
    marzekiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak to whether the shorts will help your pain. However, I'm assuming, because you say your bike is a cruiser, your pain is in your butt or tailbone? If that is so, and you're trying to avoid that coccyx pain. either raise your seat or lower your handlebars or both. If you have a bit of a lean over, your tailbone will not grind in the seat. I always need need quite a lean to preserve my tailbone. Not as much as racers do but. your butt will know.

When your leg is extended, the ball of your foot should be firmly on the pedal (as if you were wearing high heels) and your leg should be fully extended. That will allow full cycling function. Your muscles will both stretch and contract, and you will build strength.

Be sure to stretch out your quads afterwards. One good one is pulling your foot behind you and doing a bit of a ballet like stretch. Try to literally kick your butt (by pulling with your hand). If your quads get tight, you will start walking like a bent over old lady and your balance will be way off.

Hope this helps.

PS Ooops. I just saw that OP doesn't have a cruiser, but last poster does.
  • ACB42
    ACB42 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I found a SkirtSports Breezer skort on ebay, NWT. It has pockets underneath, and even a place to run my headphones cord. I'll let you all know how I like it once it arrives.
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    Until you get used to the ahem, feel of the saddle in your, well, THERE... I would strongly recommend that you invest in some cycling pants.

The have a gel pad that is soft-tissue saver. I also know for a fact that you can get mountain biking ones (i.e., they are like cargo shorts with the gel pad; not the "tour de France" tighties...).

The skort might be super cute, but your parts will thank you if you for function over form. =)
  • awpm
    awpm Posts: 1
    Options
    As a bloke I do not fully qualified to discuss these matters but thought you might be interested to know that the Cool-London-courier-girl-look avoids the issue by advocating the simultaneous use of both on the road. Shorts plain black or retro Campagnolo and skirt v short, usually Laura Ashley print. Compliment with a 1980s fixed wheel steel frame with drops, a pony tail and timbuktu bag (has to be a British make) and you have the fashion side sorted. For the ensemble to work you need legs up to your neck and be able to track-stand. A fashion statement that needs dedication therefore.

If you going to ride a bike further than to the shops then you need shorts. Endura for winter and a good make such as castelli or giordana for summer. Bib shorts or tights are more comfortable. Baggy shorts are useful but you often need liner shorts underneath for padding and to avoid chaffing inner thighs.

As a result of all this I would say a skort is Nay for about 99% of the population - male or female.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    you are better off with padded shorts and/or a big ole maxi pad stuck to the outside of your underwear. i spin twice a week for a year now, and still use both.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Get cycling shorts. Worth. EVERY. Penny. And the big tractor seats are really counterproductive unless you are just beach cruiser riding. Anything more serious and you will want a proper saddle. It all depends on what you are riding for.
    Also, there is a group here for cyclists of all types.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain