Too Much Protein?

Options
I'm on day one of tracking here and LOVING it so far, but I do have a question...

I've never paid attention to how much protein I was taking in, and I'm already over by 6g. Is it really possible to have "too much" protein? If so, how will getting too much protein effect my body and/or weight loss?

Thanks so much in advance for any answers!!!

Replies

• guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I too am usually over by about 6g of protein almost every day. I think its ok I have lost a one to 11/2 lbs per week. I am always low on the soduim though :flowerforyou:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    MFP for alot of people on here is actually set really low I really wouldn't worry about going over unless you really go over by quite alot I would say 20g or more
  • PagonShort
    Options
    I would really like to know about this also, as I am normally under on calories but over on protein by 10 to 30g.

If I don't eat dinner, I am okay, but then I am not getting in all my meals or calories.

Inquirying mind want to know???
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I would really like to know about this also, as I am normally under on calories but over on protein by 10 to 30g.

If I don't eat dinner, I am okay, but then I am not getting in all my meals or calories.

Inquirying mind want to know???

I second that! I'm over on protein daily:blushing:
  • CubLub63
    CubLub63 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm also over on my protein. I'm not sure how this will effect your body, but personally my body responds better to more protein. I tend to lose more when I have more. At one point, I was having things like almonds, cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc. to get a good amount of protein in at each meal and if I remember correctly, that's when I lost weight the most. I'm interested to hear if there's any facts on too much protein being bad or good for the body. I'll have to ask my trainer tonight. :smile:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Im so guilty in going over:bigsmile:
  • phranqueigh22285
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, weight loss friends! I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. I'm assuming if you're going to be over on anything, protein's probably the least worrisome. I appreciate the feedback! Keep us posted if anyone finds anything out!
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    The skinny on protein:

Your body's metabolism chooses what to burn as its fuel source from a range of nutrients, but main candidates are carbs and protein. Because protein is an easy burn for the body, whereas carbs have to be converted first, its a quicker source to go through. This is the main reason why the atkins diet caught on so readily as it does provide quick results.

That being said, in weight loss if you are moderating the protein intake and doing the great job you are, plus adding activity to your daily routine, more power (from protein) to ya!
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm on day one of tracking here and LOVING it so far, but I do have a question...

I've never paid attention to how much protein I was taking in, and I'm already over by 6g. Is it really possible to have "too much" protein? If so, how will getting too much protein effect my body and/or weight loss?

Thanks so much in advance for any answers!!!
    quote]

I asked this same question a few days ago:bigsmile:

Someone responded that if you exercise, dont worry about it:wink:
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    Very close. The body loves to use protein as a tool for building lean muscle, however even protein if not used up will be converted and stored as the fat we all hate. So keeping close ~10g of your goals is great, just do what you can to use it.