Burning calories from cleaning!

Options
OK so I just totted up my 3 hours cleaning I did today and it reckons burned 640 calories?! I can't see how thats possible, I didn't even break a sweat or feel especially knackered from it?

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    and i doubt 640 is accurate
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    If I do a thorough cleaning (something I don't normally do) I put half the time it actually took.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    I dont trust it in the slightest. 640 calories is loads! I could have a roast dinner for that and a pudding.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    For cleaning I always do half or 1/3.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    If I do a thorough cleaning (something I don't normally do) I put half the time it actually took.

Good idea think I'll do that from now on :smile:
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i generally don't log cleaning unless i break a sweat like if im scrubbing the floor or doing laundry (doing laundry for me is a bathtub full of hot water clothes and a lot of swirling and ringing and bending over)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I always take the calories MFP says and divide in half.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    do you normally do lots of cleaning? personally I dont count anything I usually do in everyday life as I still got here whilst doing it. If however it is sometimes I do infrequently, like gardening, then I do count it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I wore my hrm whilst doing a clean and then compared it to mfp's burn, mfp was waaaaay over. I don't bother logging cleaning, it's part of my daily lifestyle.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Is this part of your "normal" weekly routine? If so, I wouldn't count it. If it was above and beyond what you would do on a normal week (like moving the couch or major spring cleaning) I would consider giving yourself (maybe) 200-300 hundred calories credit. Just my opinion... I would not go with the 640 estimate.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Isn't cleaning just an everyday activity which would already be allowed for within the activity level we pick?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I mean, depending on your size, you would have burned 300 calories just by being awake those three hours. (I burn about 2400 a day before exercise, sedentary). That's 3.3 calories per minute. While working out and busting your *kitten*, you can burn up to 10 calories per minute... (super high mets activity)

If you were doing a 1/3 of *kitten* busting activity for 3 hours, I'd say it's accurate. If you were only doing an 1/8th of *kitten* busting activity, I'd say not! :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn doesn't seem unreasonable to me!

I wear a BodyMedia Fit, and see numbers very similar to those when I clean. Today, I spent from noon until 2:30 in my kitchen doing food prep and cooking for the upcoming week. In that time, I burned 647 calories. I wasn't sweaty or tired, either. But I do trust the accuracy of the number from my BodyMedia.
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have never counted cleaning as a calorie burn. I've worn my heart rate monitor while cleaning and my heart just does not get up into zone for long enough periods of time to get a good burn in. I think that calorie burn while doing chores can be deceiving.
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I came across this post now because I just decided to wear my HRM while running the sweeper and scrubbing my kitchen floor (Swiffer Wet Jet); 28 minutes later I had burned 194 calories. Your calorie burn isn't completely unreasonable, but I'd consider purchasing a HRM if you want more accurate calculations, since everyone is different.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    It's discussions like these that are the reason I don't eat back all of my exercise calories.....they are never 100% accurate. Close, but not 100%.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful contributions :smile: I have decided I won't count household chores anymore as they are part of my everyday routine anyway. I work full time, so only really get to give my house a full clean at the weekends.
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    I generally log only half the actual time I spent cleaning. You are burning a good bit of calories if you really get with it though, like cleaning the hell out of the bathroom, car, kids room! LOL!!! Light cleaning, mark under light cleaning only 1/2 the actual time and it generally looks a little more 'normal' on burned calories. If you break a sweat and feel like you worked out, mark it as vigorous effort, but still only 1/2 actual time.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm so self righteous I don't even log breathing. :wink:

Good for you, log it if it works for you.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I don't log cleaning unless I am sweating or out of breath.