stupid question maybe but does jogging really help?

Options
calling out for all people that have lost weight but mainly jogging...
i'm 222lbs and have started jogging in the last week and i go at a snails pace and can jog for about 20mins without stopping but my thighs and calfs are killing me!

determined to keep going but just curious on other peoples success stories of weight loss and jogging and how often they did it etc etc...

many thanks!.x

Replies

• KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    in my humble opinion you may want to consider run/walk plans which will get you safely running/jogging,
    jogging/running it is a lot of impact on your joints and you write that you are already suffering the consequences of this high impact sport
    be kind to your body and look up run/walk plans

they have good ones on
    livestrong dot com
    and
    about dot com
    good luck

p.s. if you get injured now you will not be able to jog later. a sincere good luck to you
  • vwbear
    vwbear Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started running in January with a group from the gym I belong to. I'm doing interval training, and the program was basically a "couch to 5K" program. I joined the 1/1 group, and that is running for a minute, then walking for a minute. (That's after the 5 min walk to warm up, and another 5 min cool down.) I've never run before and the program started with a mile, and ended with 3.25 miles to prepare for the race. (5K = approximately 3.105 miles) I think this program was a great way to build up endurance, and would reccomend it to anyone starting out.I think the slow build-up works very well, and helps prevent injuries from trying to do too much too fast. (we also ran 3 days a week, with rest or crosstraining on the alternate days) You can find free programs on the internet, and downloads for your smartphone too! I just ran my first 5K yesterday, and it was awsome. (I do believe I've caught the "bug" lol) Good luck!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Recommend the couch to 5k
    Also recommend getting fitted for proper running shoes at a running shoe store. (not chain outlet)

with those two things you'll be good to go for a long time

Edit:
    I personally run 3 miles every other day with some 5 miles thrown in for fun. I started a few months back without being able to run 1/10th of a mile.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never lost significant weight with jogging because I just started watching what I eat, but I love jogging! I run 4 or 5 times per week, usually about 3 miles. On days when I have more free time, I try to challenge myself to run farther. It tones up your legs, butt, and abs, and I also find that my armslook better when I run a lot. The important thing is to not overdo it. 20 minutes sounds reasonable, just don't push yourself if your knees start to hurt or if you get shin splints or anything. It is really easy to injure yourself running since it's such a repetitive, pounding motion, but as long as you are careful then good for you!
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    Personally I found that walking at a brisk 4.0 pace works great. No injuries. But also need to couple it with strength training - for me that is my boot camp. That's when the inches started to melt away...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Exercise, by itself, rarely leads directly to weight loss. In fact, if you're already eating at a caloric deficit it's usually recommended that you eat back your exercise calories (unless you've already factored them into the equation).

The benefits from walking/jogging/ running transcend weight loss - you're strengthening your cardiovascular system which significantly reduces your risk of heart attack and stroke, helps control blood pressure etc.

You may want to also incorporate some strength training into your fitness program. Increasing lean muscle mass also provides a host of health benefits one of them being that muscle is more mmetabolically expensive than fat - ie your BMR goes up.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's how I've lost my weight... jogging is my main form of exercise...and just logging everything here on MFP. I recommend what others say... start slow - train gradually...use Couch to 5k or a similar program to start and a great pair of shoes!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    it does help... if you use tennis shoes (i don't) good support solid tennis shoes REALLY make a difference. you'll get there. it's not a stupid question. i also use music that has the beat that i'm running to which helps me out alot, because i have to stay with the beat of what i'm listening to.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5K in January and just ran two 5Ks the last two weekends. I also track everything I eat on MFP. I run 3 times a week (about 2 miles)

I've lost 24.1 pounds in that time. I think jogging helps.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I jog but it's not my favorite...but I hate following TV workouts and have no access to a gym so that's what I stick with.

I jog 1-2 miles between 4-5mph. I try to tell myself to do it every day that way when I only do it 3 times, I'm still within goals. I notice a change with it but like someone else said, I thinking watching my food has made the bigger impact.

My husband jogs too and if he has time he does it twice a day. He does at least 3 miles and he notices a difference to so yeah any form of exercise will help but it's all in combination with eating too.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Running is my main cardio exercise. Everything else supplements that. I also do resistance/strength training, amd plyometrics or other cardio type workouts like horseback riding that keep my muscles guessing. It's great way to not overwork muscle groups, but keep them from getting to used to one exercise.

Main thing to watch for when you first start running is potential for injury, which happens a LOT from muscles and tendons that aren't strong enough to handle running for long periods of time. To go out and just run with muscles that can't handle it is like hopping on the track team and going for hurdles before you've been trained for jumping; you'll fall down before you successfully get over the jumps, so you have to take the time to get strong first, and then ease into it.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes it does!
    Can't recommend Couch to 5K highly enough. Did it last summer (starting weight about 10 stone) and when I started I could barely manage the 8 1-minute runs.
    When I finished C25K I did a follow-on programme, Bridge to 10K, and started running a 5K parkrun every week.
    Now I run 3-4 times a week, usually 3-6 miles at a time, with a long run on Sundays of 8-10 miles. I'm planning to do my first half marathon in the autumn. I eat pretty much what I like and I weigh just under 8 and a half stone.
    I think the thing is to find a form of exercise that you really enjoy doing. Once that happens, it's a pleasure to exercise, not a chore.
    Good luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I go slow too. I call it slogging (slow jog) or wogging. (Walk and jog mix) I enjoy it for my cardio. I tried eptilitcals, treadmills, exercise bikes, rowing machines and I'd rather watch all the Twlight movies with director and actor commentary instead. I either go with my music playlist or another person to chat with.
  • nairobiny
    nairobiny Posts: 13
    Options
    i go at a snails pace and can jog for about 20mins without stopping but my thighs and calfs are killing me!
    I found this too, when I first started running. After a few days, they stopped aching. And the next time I ran, they hurt less as the muscles got used to their new exercise. Nowadays they don't hurt at all. Stick at it!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt that could mean you're not doing enough leg strengthening exercise. Make sure you're stretching properly both before & after your jogs, & doing leg workouts at least a couple times a week. It will prevent injury & spare you the leg pain. Also make sure to spend money on some quality running shoes. Get a gait analysis at a running store & find out what kind you need. Your joints will thank you.

I started jogging at just over 300 lbs with my own modified version of C25K that progressed a lot slower, & it helped the pounds fly off. I fell in love with it & started signing up for races, & now have several under my belt. Currently going through a heart rate training program to improve my endurance so that I can begin training for a half marathon at the end of the summer.

If you're asking "does jogging really help...you lose weight" then I'd say yes, because you get a good calorie burn from it, even going slow.

If you're asking "does jogging really help...you feel like you are awesome & can accomplish anything you set your mind to" then I'd say yes to that too.

Keep running!!!