~*~ Does this make my exercise pointless? ~*~

Options
Now, I'm barely just getting into exercising. I have a stationary bike, it really hurts my butt. (I'm assuming it's a bone, but to be simple, I'll say butt) At first, I couldn't even ride it for more than 5 minutes. Now, I can get about 10-15 minutes in at a time before I need to stop and rest.

Will doing periodic spurts of exercise make it essentially useless? Is it much less effective to work out in segments versus all at once?

The way I'm thinking, moving is better than sitting on my butt all day. I just want to get more opinions on it.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Certainly not useless. My exercise rarely lasts over half an hour. On occasion in the past, it's been less than five minutes. I'm losing weight, toning up, and my fitness and general well-being have improved LOADS in the past year and a half.

Now, I'm not losing weight particularly fast admittedly, but I have plenty of good results, and I wouldn't say my slow weight loss is down to my short exercises.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Every little bit will help. Keep at it.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    No exercise is useless. That would be like saying broccoli is useless unless you eat a pound at a time. It's always good for you, no matter if it's split up or all at once. ;)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere a minimum of 10 minutes(at a time) is beneficial.
  • microburst20
    Options
    i exercise 5-10 minutes at a time at work. I walk up stairs and walk around inside the building. On some days it is the only exercise I get and at the end of the day I have usually managed 30 minutes!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps. It sounds like you're getting saddle sore from the exercise bike. It will get better, but it takes some time. It happened to me when I started cycling again. Stay with it, slow and steady will take you where you want to go.
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. :)
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps. It sounds like you're getting saddle sore from the exercise bike. It will get better, but it takes some time. It happened to me when I started cycling again. Stay with it, slow and steady will take you where you want to go.

Extremely saddle sore! I've read that it gets better though, so I'm forcing myself to do a little every day.

I'm actually really proud of myself right now. Today I was only going to do 10 minute spurts, probably 3 times, so 30 minutes total. I went on the bike and got to 10, decided to push to 15. I got to 15 and pushed to 20! Mind you, 20 minutes on this bike equals a *VERY* sore behind!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Wearing cycling shorts would probably help with the soreness. They have a pad in the seat.
  • refusetolose
    Options
    There are some padded shorts sold at bike shops. Maybe a pair of those would help you!
  • refusetolose
    Options
    Sorry to repeat scotts comments!
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Would a "fat butt seat" help at all? Maybe just a little padding would help the discomfort. :) I can't ride a bike with a normal seat because it hurts my butt, so I have to buy a padded seat (fat butt seat) to make it tolerable. :)

Oh, and no exercise is useless. I read somewhere its more beneficial to do 10 mins of exercise a few mins a day rather than 30-60 mins at once. Not sure how true that is, or where I read it. LOL.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My butt killed when I first started riding my bike, so I used a thin pillow on it for the first couple of weeks. Now I'm upto 40 mins a day. I don't always do the 40 mins all at once. If I'm busy I'll do 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    or a gel seat depending if you can find one to fit your bike seat.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hey, i dunno if its the same for stationary bikes, but I bought a padded cover for my actual bike off Amazon, does wonders!

And you're right, its all about doing MORE than nothing. Which is what you're doing! And you'll get stronger. :)

Edit - Gel seat, that was the one!
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    Would a "fat butt seat" help at all? Maybe just a little padding would help the discomfort. :) I can't ride a bike with a normal seat because it hurts my butt, so I have to buy a padded seat (fat butt seat) to make it tolerable. :)

Oh, and no exercise is useless. I read somewhere its more beneficial to do 10 mins of exercise a few mins a day rather than 30-60 mins at once. Not sure how true that is, or where I read it. LOL.

I use a "fat butt seat"... also known as a riding or touring seat. I think modern seats were created as TORTURE DEVICES. And the thinner I am, the less padding on my butt... so the modern seats just hurt more and more. If you can change the seat out for a normal riding seat... try it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for the seat, try making sure you keep your diaphragm and core lifted. it's hard to explain but hat made a HUGE difference for me. before i think i was just sinking into the seat and it hurt! someone told me that trick and no problems since
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Not useless at all! Better that then nothing. A lot of people do much better splitting up their workouts into smaller time frames throughout the day.