Fellow Grad Students + Stress Eaters?

Options
Hey there! I'm a vet student looking to make some friends who are in the same boat...stress eating that is exacerbated by a heavy school load. Maybe we can support each other!

I'm 24, living in Columbia MO and I'm a second year student. I moved here from the east coast (PA).

Replies

• Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am not a grad student but i am a high school senior and i get what you mean by stress eating,i put on like 3lb during my final exams in junior year! Yikes!
    But the reason i am losing weight is to get thinner before entering college!

I am 18,living in kerala in India! :):)
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That is me!!! I am finishing my first year of law school in the Chicago area. Finals are almost here...dun dun dun
    I do eat when I shouldn't and don't when I should due to schedule, class, or what have you.

PS to previous poster...Also, I spent some time in India a few years ago and found Kerala to be a beautiful part of the world! Glad to encounter someone from there!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Final years on my PhD, I hear you! Stress eating always kills me. But I'm handling it okay right now. Thankfully my boss isn't laying major pressure to perform on me yet...
  • Jess_03
    Jess_03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Yes! Same here....first year of MS program and stress eating has put on 11 pounds that I lost over the summer. It doesn't help to live in a cold area too where you tend to be stuck indoors more with all those yummy soups and hot coffee drinks.
  • Fathima0712
    Options
    That is me!!! I am finishing my first year of law school in the Chicago area. Finals are almost here...dun dun dun
    I do eat when I shouldn't and don't when I should due to schedule, class, or what have you.

PS to previous poster...Also, I spent some time in India a few years ago and found Kerala to be a beautiful part of the world! Glad to encounter someone from there!

Oh it is beautiful..and it comes with really amazing cuisine that will fatten you up from super skinny to overweight in a heartbeat..! :P :P :D:D
  • kayleighcee
    kayleighcee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a first year graduate student and mother of one and step mother of one... Stress eating and eating to procrastinate always gets me. Feel free to friend me :)
  • peachinator
    peachinator Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I always seem to lose weight in the summer when I'm not that busy, then put it right back on (and often even more) once school starts up again. Any advice for coping? Running really helps me, with an iPod (essential) because it blocks out my own thoughts for a while at least, and then afterwards I feel more relaxed and focused. I've been wanting to try yoga but have not yet.
  • peachinator
    Options
    PhD, in what? That's so cool, congrats!
    And stress is everywhere...I was stressed out too when I was in high school! I was applying to vet schools so I put a lot of stress on myself to do well.
  • peachinator
    Options
    Hi! I'm a first year graduate student and mother of one and step mother of one... Stress eating and eating to procrastinate always gets me. Feel free to friend me :)

That describes me PERFECTLY...eating to procrastinate! I study so much that eventually I'm like, "eff this..." [reaches for cookies]. lol.
  • Fathima0712
    Options
    I heard from a cousin of mine who overcame this problem that putting a bottle or two of water near you while sitting down will cut down the snacking tendency because we will instantly reach for the water and NOT go scavenging for some snack!

and this has helped me considerably well too! :):)
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    Final years on my PhD, I hear you! Stress eating always kills me. But I'm handling it okay right now. Thankfully my boss isn't laying major pressure to perform on me yet...

I'm going to add you as a friend. I'm currently finishing my PhD and am also a stress eater. Let's motivate one another.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Almost done with my PhD here -- eating from stress and procrastination.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Totally me. 1st year PhD in Virginia. I moved here from Canada and being away from my fiance and planning a wedding long distance does not help my stress. Feel free to add me, i am always looking for new friends with whom I share similar struggles.
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm in the process of finishing my PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology. Feel free to add me as a friend. I defend on June 20th. Woo Hoo!!! The stress of finishing is doing it's best to drive me to stress eating, but I've recently started seeing a dietitian so I'm happy to share tips that she gives me with all of you.

Best of luck to everyone doing their studies, no matter what stage of the process you are in!

J
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies 1st & foremost, congrats on ur higher educatio; It will pay off in the end. I can so relate, I went straight from nursing school to my BSN programm to job orientation = major stress, but now that I'm almost over i'm happy. I constantly drink caffeine with lots of cream, not good. I think my 12 hours shift helps to balance my W8, but its a struggle. One day at a time ladies, I park my car far awy from the entrance, take only the stairs to my 3rd floor & drink lots of water. Good luck all
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am working on my PhD with three children, a husband, and full time job. I can certainly relate!
  • according2lizz
    Options
    I'm a soon to be Grad student! Graduating from undergrad in May and starting my masters in higher education leadership at University of San Diego in the fall! I'm definitely a stress eater too! I'm relocating from Cleveland to San Diego, so I'm hoping the winter blues won't get to me next fall and the weather will be more of a motivator! I usually lose weight in the summers too, but maybe if it's always summer I won't have to go through that again! :) Feel free to add me!

Liz
  • according2lizz
    Options

That describes me PERFECTLY...eating to procrastinate! I study so much that eventually I'm like, "eff this..." [reaches for cookies]. lol.

SO guilty of that! I'm adding you!