Only 930 calories?? Really??

Options

Replies

• tmusgrove
    Options
    Thank you so much. Looking forward to getting started.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    so many topics started like this then the OP dissapears :

Page not found

Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again.

then we do it all again, lol

I think it's a MFP tech issue. Even when I click on my own profile it says it can't be found, and I'm def still here, LOL.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I have a question. I live in the UK and have started using MFP. I've recently read some blogs on BMR /TDEE as I'd not heard if these before. I've been exercising like crazy the last fortnight as I've been on holiday (17 high intensity cardio classes) and I've been counting calories around 1200 mark. I've gained weight.:-( Friends have said it'll be muscle!?

I've now worked out my BMR and with a 500 cal deficit I'm looking at 1660 cals per day. My question to you is: in the Harris benedict formula it takes into account activity and it's put into the equation - so do I just track calories eaten on MFP now and forget about my exercise?

I'm confused. Please help.

Be careful you are not underestimating the food calories, because to this day I fail to see how anybody can gain weight on a true 1200 calories per day.

To everybody else: the OP no longer appears to have an account, I suspect it was a troll.

Why so quick to accuse her of being a troll? :sick:

When I click on your name, it says your profile can't be found. Same when I click on my name. It's a tech issue.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I live in the UK and have started using MFP. I've recently read some blogs on BMR /TDEE as I'd not heard if these before. I've been exercising like crazy the last fortnight as I've been on holiday (17 high intensity cardio classes) and I've been counting calories around 1200 mark. I've gained weight.:-( Friends have said it'll be muscle!?

I've now worked out my BMR and with a 500 cal deficit I'm looking at 1660 cals per day. My question to you is: in the Harris benedict formula it takes into account activity and it's put into the equation - so do I just track calories eaten on MFP now and forget about my exercise?

Be careful you are not underestimating the food calories, because to this day I fail to see how anybody can gain weight on a true 1200 calories per day.

To everybody else: the OP no longer appears to have an account, I suspect it was a troll.

When I click on your name, it says your profile can't be found. Same when I click on my name. It's a tech issue.

Ahh yes, I see what you mean.

OP I totally apologize, I am very sorry :flowerforyou:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

:) sorry if I came across a little .. blunt. I'm having a *kitten* day. A really *kitten* day.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

:) sorry if I came across a little .. blunt. I'm having a *kitten* day. A really *kitten* day.

pah, don't worry! Your day will be much better tomorrow hopefully x
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting thread and I think I've learnt some valuable things from reading it.

For a long time for me, food has been the enemy and I would drop my calories drastically and of course at first the weight would fall off but inevitably I would gain it and more. It's good to read that with the right choices, food isn't the enemy and that eating a healthy amount of calories will still allow me/us to lose weight.
  • microburst20
    Options
    I was having the same issue only slightly different, since I have a lot of weight to lose, I get a lot of calories. After eating lots of fruit and veggies and low fat dairy and small amounts of carbs and meats I would have a lot of calories to eat at the end of the day. At first I didnt worry about it and just didnt eat any more, then I started eating fudgesicles and chocolate to finish calorie intake. Still not good. What I am doing now is adding more healthy carbs and fat earlier in the day. Whole grain oats with my yogurt. A small amount of butter with some whole grain bread. An extra serving of brown rice with lunch. Now that I really know I can get enough to eat I am not desperately trying to save calories for the end of the day. Hope that helps
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have always been an athlete; runner, cyclist, triathlete. I always had the philosophy that if I indulged too greatly in food I would just have to run longer or ride longer. Bicycling magazine cover story in May 2012 issue, "Your Ideal Weight", provided a calculator to measure your weight against a generic professional cyclist. I started eating from the diet last week and tracking my food intake. Go to www.bicycling.com/gofaster for the diet.

Two things I learned in one short week. Often, food has a lot more calories than you imagine. Secondly, eating healthy foods often (six times a day) will get you all your calories. Do not eliminate any of the calorie types; fat, protein, carbohydrates. Your body needs all of them. Keep the ratios consistent. Carbs = 50% of intake, Protein = 30% & fat = 20%.

This means for a 1,800 calorie diet, eat 225 grams of carbs (1,800 x 50% / 4 (1 gram carb = 4 Kcal)), eat 135 grams of protein (1,800 x 30% / 4), eat 40 grams of fat (1,800 x 20% / 9).

Eat carbs from natural sources; whole grains and fruits and vegetables, proteins from lean sources; chicken, turkey, fish, and fat from nuts, beans.

When you begin eating healthy foods you will notice how much food you can eat with little calories. Once you stop the fast food and candy you will see the weight drop off.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I struggle to reach my 1200 goal as well... it isn't easy. I sometimes burn about 400-600 calories in the gym and all I had before that was a 260 calorie breakfast and a small pre-workout meal. No, I am NOT having an eating disorder. I just don't like to eat too much before a long and great workout. The thing is though, I don't feel starved or anything. Yes, I do feel hunger but I don't eat enough to meet my goals. Should I be eating even though I am not hungry JUST to meet my caloric goals? I think not...I listen to my body instead.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    That is an understandable amount of calories for a person who want to gain alot of muscle mass. This site says I need about 1800 calories for the energy output I have during weekdays, sometimes it's hard to keep to that, so when people talk about being on minimum calories, I wonder how they can manage on that, unless they are not doing any excercise.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I struggle to reach my 1200 goal as well... it isn't easy. I sometimes burn about 400-600 calories in the gym and all I had before that was a 260 calorie breakfast and a small pre-workout meal. No, I am NOT having an eating disorder. I just don't like to eat too much before a long and great workout. The thing is though, I don't feel starved or anything. Yes, I do feel hunger but I don't eat enough to meet my goals. Should I be eating even though I am not hungry JUST to meet my caloric goals? I think not...I listen to my body instead.

But you just said you feel hunger?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

pah, don't worry! Your day will be much better tomorrow hopefully x

I doubt it. Had to break up with my other half today :cry: x
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options

Nooo haha as in, I feel a normal kind of hunger. I don't feel the crazzyyyy kinda hunger because it looks like I"m consuming really little calories.
  • wendinbill
    Options
    I always opt for a couple spoonfuls of PB, or an egg at that point. :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Nooo haha as in, I feel a normal kind of hunger. I don't feel the crazzyyyy kinda hunger because it looks like I"m consuming really little calories.

But if you're feeling hunger, your body is asking for you to feed it.
  • osubrndn
    osubrndn Posts: 32
    Options
    I consume 900 calories at breakfast every single morning... I am eating 3200-3400 calories a day... Can you eat Nuts... I eat 1 cup of Pistachios a day that alone is 320 calories.... At bedtime every night I go to bed with a glass (2 cups) of 1% chocolate milk (300 calories) 24 almonds (120 calories) and 1 cup of Kelloggs Crave Double Chocolate cereal (130 calories) I eat the almonds with the crave cereal, its like a chocolate/nut candy treat. This bedtime snack is 550 calories alone... 2 Tbps. of All Natural Peanut butter (I use Jiff) is 190 calories.... There is quite a few things you can have to make up enough calories to get to 1200/1300 calories.... Best of Luck...

..i don't understand why you'd eat calories before going to sleep..and 900 for breakfast is a ton..that seems like a good way to gain unwatned weight. and you seem like you take in wayy to much calories...i work out twice a day (hour lifting, hour boxing/cardio) and eat til i'm i'm not hungry and i'm nowhere near that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of cereal tonight before bed!
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of the same thing. I'm glad you posted this!