ALMONDS

Options
2»

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    According to the MFP food database 1oz of natural almonds has 160 calories and 14g fat.

I buy bulk raw almonds at the grocery store and blanch them myself. After they cool off, I put them in a tightly covered glass container and keep them in the freezer. They are just like fresh for months and don't stick together. Easy to grab a handful.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Almonds are the only nut on the official list of "super foods."
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx. i had just bought tamari almonds as i never bought any before and didn't know what to buy,lol.. i just researched them online to find out a 20g serving is 125 cals.. so i divided all mine up into baggies.. :)
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    I get a large bag of Blue Diamond Almonds at WalMart it has pre-measured smaller bags great for a busy grab and go weekday snack. Each bag has approx 25 whole almonds and the package says 160 cal. I am counting carbs not calories. The serving only has 3net grams of carbs
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love raw almonds. Just portion package them before you dig in, or you may end up eating way too many!
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes I love them! I bake these low cal cookies with almonds that are only 50 cal each
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a cabinet full of almonds...all different flavors. I keep cans of them at work and have a serving for a snack every day!
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    23 almonds for my breakfast nearly everyday. Quick, portable protein and fiber!
  • jennikawilliams28
    jennikawilliams28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What about the flavored almonds? I've been reading a lot of people mentioning how great raw almonds are for you, and I completely agree! However, sometimes I get a craving for the Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ flavored almonds... They are delicious! But are they still just as good for you as raw almonds?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Flavored ones likely have a lot more calories, sugar, salt, etc.

I love almonds. I eat them quite a bit, I weigh by the gram and not the 1/4 cup. Lots of foods end up being over when measured in cup vs grams or ounces. Sometimes you get a surprise though and end up getting to eat more! :laugh: