21LBS gone in 3 weeks!!!!!!!

Options
Ok post is for advice on my gym pal.

My gym pal joined the gym with me March 30th, but didnt actively go until April 2nd. She has lost 21 lbs with VERY light exercise. I asked to see her food diary and noticed she dropped from eating 5000+ calories a day to 900-1200 calories a day. I have tried getting her to up her calorie intake since I know she hasnt lost 21 lbs from workout.

I am unsure how to approach this situation again because she already thinks I am jealous of her losing 21 lbs, which I am not. She is 5'7 and weights 375 lbs and I am truely concerned that she is dealing with this all wrong and I want her to do this correctly.

Advice and tips would be great.
Thanks

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of weight, even at that starting weight. She may not listen to you at first because the weight is coming off so quickly, but that is likely to slow down. Not only will it slow down, but it is hard to maintain that kind of diet. Continue to support her and tell her that she is doing a great job but that you are concerned for her in the long run. Perhaps printing out some articles for her or ask her to join mfp and read up diet and nutrition (stalling and starvation mode). She may not listen now, but as she becomes frustrated, she may be more willing. Suggest that you both speak with a nutritionist or trainer at the gym. Good luck. In the end she will do what she wants, so just keep plugging away at your goals and educate yourself as well and hopefully she will see that you are both in this together.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    when she's seeing those kind of results its gonna be pretty hard to convince her otherwise but she will hit a plateau quicker than your average person who is consuming more. Her body will eventually freak out at the rapid weightloss. Just try to get to eat 1200 at the least... but she will hit that plateau quick sooner or later. That might be the time tohave the talk.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Actually, since she weighs that much ,it isnt uncommon for her to drop that much weight the first few weeks. A lot of it is probably water weight too. But, with how much she weighs she should increase her intake just for health reasons. But sometimes they have to figure it out on their own, especially if they are the type to think stuff like that.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Actually, since she weighs that much ,it isnt uncommon for her to drop that much weight the first few weeks. A lot of it is probably water weight too. But, with how much she weighs she should increase her intake just for health reasons. But sometimes they have to figure it out on their own, especially if they are the type to think stuff like that.

Totally agree with above poster. When I started, I dropped 10 pounds in a couple days...pure water weight. I know this because my legs, ankles, feet, hands and face weren't swollen after losing the 10lbs.

I think she definitely needs to up her calorie intake though, does she use this site? Good luck to you both!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

This!

Being that large, 21lbs in a short time is going to be quite normal. It's only 6% of her body weight. If she had lost approx. 30% in that time, THEN I would be worried, but 21lbs is a good start for her. Her body was probably just waiting for the day to get rid of it. Going from 5000 cals to a low cal diet is probably very good for her.

Just make sure you tell her to have something to eat after her workouts. Eventually, with the weight gone, I'm sure she'll up her workout intensity. It's gotta be tough moving around with all that excess poundage.

Be supportive of it and make sure she doesn't stop eating ENTIRELY. Encourage 1200 cals per day, and encourage lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, and exercise. =) BUT! That being said, you're a good friend for being concerned. I'd be happy to have a friend like you!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    you probably won't have to get into it with her because she most likely won't be able to maintain such low calorie intake for very long.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    The much weight loss wouldn't be all that unusual because she has a rather high starting weight and was eating a lot of calories to begin with, there's also probably a lot of water weight lost as well. Slashing calories like that is likely to shock the system, i'm sure. She's probably pumped that she's seeing this weight loss and that's good if it it motivates her for a short time but substantial losses will begin to get harder for her to attain. I wouldn't be that concerned - YET. If she starts incorporating exercise then she will have to up her calories, no ifs ands or buts about it. I'm not saying that it's healthy but if it keeps her on the bandwagon in the short term, anything helps. I would be careful on how to brooch the subject because she will get defensive.

Also, what kinds of foods is she consuming? Is junk food or does it have substantial nutritional value? I know that when I started eating healthily I found it difficult to eat my allotted 1,400 calories because I was eating so many veggies and proteins that kept me full. I've found a balance but it did take me awhile.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't think there is much you can do as long as she is losing so much. I started at 364 and if I knew the magic formula for 7 pounds a week, you couldn't stop me.

For me, it would be impossible to have a 3,500 calorie deficit a day. It is hard for me to burn 3,500 calories a day. I certainly couldn't do it without eating for three weeks.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Well done on your 11lbs!
    I agree with last post, you may need to let her do it her way and when she asks for help or advice be ready with a friendly smile. She won't be able to sustain the calories for that long and will work out what is good to eat and what not.
    You are doing a great job though!
  • gambygirl63
    Options
    Hi, I know your dilemma very well. Does your friend realize that the beginning weight loss is mostly water? Once all the water is released, then comes the hard part, the work, the plateuaing (i know thats not a word sorry). Losing weight is a lifestyle change, I know. I lost 87 lbs in 6 months, but i also put back on 20 now. I was eating about 400 calories a day, but i was working out. It still came off to quickly and i fell in the rut again thinking ok just this chip, just this soda and i am now heavier. Kind of sucks, but i did it to myself. I am now a Woman on a mission and going for the 20 lbs, and then the next the 8 i need to be where the Wii tells me i should be (lol) Be patient with her, and let her come to you when it starts coming down to the work. Praise her and tell her constantly that you can see the weight loss and then maybe she wont think you are jealous; I know its hard and i hope you both do well..

G
  • osubrndn
    osubrndn Posts: 32
    Options
    being at 375 is alot of weight...so it will be easier for her to lose large amounts of weight with a radical diet change (like how they do on the show biggest loser). it's more important when you start to establish all of the habits; eating/working out.

i'd probably let her do her thing and when she starts to plateau be there to help her...if she thinks your concern is jealousy then she isn't going to listen to anything you have to say anyow.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I want to cry. I was really proud of my progress of losing 33 pounds from a starting weight close to 375, but some of you are acting like it is so normal for someone my size to shed 21 pounds. I lost 5 pounds easy, the rest is fully supported by a calorie deficit. One that is calculated as carefully as possible. I weigh, measure and record and I use a fitbit and bodybugg to ensue I am not overstating my calorie burn.

Take it back (sobbing):sad:
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I want to cry. I was really proud of my progress of losing 33 pounds from a starting weight close to 375, but some of you are acting like it is so normal for someone my size to shed 21 pounds. I lost 5 pounds easy, the rest is fully supported by a calorie deficit. One that is calculated as carefully as possible. I weigh, measure and record and I use a fitbit and bodybugg to ensue I am not overstating my calorie burn.

Take it back (sobbing):sad:

Everyone is different! don't be discouraged! I think losing 33lbs is FANTASTIC! we all go at our own pace and what is good for you may not be good for everyone and what is good for someone else may not be good for you... all that matters is that you're doing what's good for you! and what works for YOU! :flowerforyou:

As for the original poster, as previous people have said, it could be her water weight and ask her to make sure to be watching it because under 1200/calories per day is not good for anyone, regardless of weight! Tell her how you're using MFP and see if it's something she'd be into trying... tell her, it never hurts to try! :smile: