Not monitoring macros, just calories?

Options
Does anyone not watch their macros, but just their calories? I kinda notice them at the end of the day but I don't consider them when planning meals, I don't worry if they are in the red at the end of the day. I am concerned that I am doing this whole thing wrong if I am not. I mean they must be importaint if MFP gives us daily allowances. It just seems like it would be ten times harder to do this if I had like 3 more categories to budget into my meals, I feel restricted enough as it is! Any advise?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You don't have to track your macros. It is really helpful to find out where the excess calories are coming from.

Lots of people just pay attention to the protein part and calories and let the rest go.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on my macros, I mostly just focus on overall calories. I do notice when I'm in the red and make mental notes to adjust. Recently I added sugar and sodium to my stats - I actually look at those more than carbs, fat, and protein.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to not lose your mind obsessing over the numbers.
    If you find yourself getting hungry during the day just add more protein and drop carbs a bit.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I don't track mine and I'm almost always over on protein. A calorie is a calorie and as long as you're not horribly deficient in any any single macro, I think you should be fine. Just an opinion tho.

If you're worried about it, try tracking it for a few weeks and see if it changes your rate of progress.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I just watch the calories. Usually, if the cals are good, most of the other stuff is semi in line. I'm not going to worry about the others, it's enough as it is.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about my macros, if I go over I go over - often go over on protein but don't let it bother me too much! Generally I'm just like you and notice them at the end of the day
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think it's useful information but I don't worry too much about them. The only macro that concerns me is sodium since I'm trying to keep my borderline high blood pressure under control.

That being said, my weight loss has stalled quite a bit the last few weeks and even though I'm coming in at or under my calorie goal my fat is sometimes way over. Again, useful information. So, I'm going to try and reign that macro in a little bit this week.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I consider the macro information a tool. If things aren't going the way I want them to it gives me something to work on. When I eat I try to make sure I'm getting the different food groups in for balance. Part of what we are entering are estimates anyway so it isn't going to be highly accurate. I have a background in nutrition so if I really want to know how I'm doing nutrient wise I have other software I use for that but I don't do it all the time.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't track them. I'm not particularly bothered about them. That said, I find the two are pretty linked.

If I actually want to feel full within my daily calories, I have to eat food of a certain level of nutrition, which has the right kind of impact on my calories. If I only have junk, I'll have such a small amount that I'll be starving all day. So, whilst I don't track macros religiously they do kind of come naturally.

I know it can work the other way, too. I know people who ONLY track their macros, and in turn find their calories come in around about right.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I just watch my calories too, I'm not in the red too often but exercising usually corrects that for me.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It's good to track them because they are important to your health. Your body needs a certain amount of healthy fats, protein (never a bad thing to go over on this one!) and it doesn't technically "need" carbs but they come in handy!

Still if you are losing weight and FEEL healthier, then keep doing what you're doing!!!
  • misslissa121
    Options
    I have always watched my fat and sodium, now I am trying to watch my sugar and make sure I am getting enough fiber as well. Protein and carbs I am not as hung up on. The last few weeks have been rough with sick kids, sinus issues, and holiday, but I try to make sure what I put in my body is good, and then if I go over it's not a big deal because it is food my body needs, not junk.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I watch but don't actively try to change things apart from watching my calcium and fibre intakes as I want to make sure I'm getting enough of those. I seem to be under most things apart from carbs so I'm thinking of trying to up my protein.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I track my protein, calcium and iron. While I'm not too fussed if I'm under protein by a few grams (which nearly never happens), I to borderline-obsess about the calcium and iron.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I found that for me tracking macros is essential. I went several months just tracking calories, and while I did lose, I don't feel like I did as much as I could have. Since I started tracking macros, I can see a substantial difference. So now it's strictly IIFYM for me. That's just me though, I know others are different.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't track my macros. I'm the same as yourself. I take a glance at them at the end of the day, but not overly concerned if they are in the red. I'm steadily losing weight, and feel much healthier. I suppose it's just up to you.
  • KarenReichel
    Options
    I pay attention to them for a couple of reasons. I try to make sure my protein and fiber are high enough to help in feeling full. I also watch my calcium to ensure I am getting enough. I have actually saved calories and money on watching calcium because so many foods have calcium that I don't necessarily have to drink the 3 glasses that is pushed on us. I also watch my carb. intake. I am always under what is listed, but just want to make sure, as too many carbs help you put on weight.