Working Out When Sick

Options
I was wondering what makes you decide to work out or skip a day when not feeling well.

Usually I try to push myself through my workouts because consistency is what keeps me returning to the gym. However, this past week I've had a pretty bad cold. Every morning I keep pushing myself to work out because its not that bad. And it really isn't. But I'm not getting better and I wonder if its because I'm not resting enough.

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I had a cold last month, I too worked out the entire time and it lingered.

It's hard to say, I knew I wouldn't die from the cold but I also knew resting probably would have made it go away sooner.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and rest up for a little bit. It sounds like working out through it isn't helping and if you rest up, hopefully it will go quicker and you can get back to your workouts :)
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Last cold I had I did the same thing. Kept pushing myself. Did not take off from working out. Even though during my kickboxing classes I wasn't going full speed, since I kept having coughing fits, I still kept going to class. I think my cold would have gone away quicker had I rested some. I just feel so lazy when I take a day off.
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    Last cold I had I did the same thing. Kept pushing myself. Did not take off from working out. Even though during my kickboxing classes I wasn't going full speed, since I kept having coughing fits, I still kept going to class. I think my cold would have gone away quicker had I rested some. I just feel so lazy when I take a day off.

Agreed. I sat in bed this morning, and thought, well if I'm not going to sit in bed all day and I'm well enough to do other things, I'm well enough to go for a run. Now its 6:30 and I feel like I'm going to die. I'm so tired.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Take a break! The week before last, I started feeling sick. Little cold feeling on Tuesday. I kept working out through Friday even though by Friday I sounded pretty bad and had a hard time breathing from the congestion. I'm a person of habit though and I'm OCD, so stopping throws my whole day off. Anyway, Saturday morning I woke up with a fever, body ache chills etc. couldn't even get out of bed. I finally stopped working out of course through the weekend. After the weekend was over I went to the doctor because I got so bad and I definitely got scolded from working out in the beginning. Lol I got medicine and after a couple of days I felt 50 times better, worked out, and what do you know, woke up feeling awful again. Here I am still sick! Mostly just throat, cough, and nose now on top of allergies but I seriously think I made this worse on myself by not just stopping at the first signs of getting a cold. So please just rest! I've learned from my mistake this time. I feel lazy not working out right now but I know my body needs it.