Same weight in the 1st week?

Options
I've been on MFP for 1 week, and what I weighed this morning is the same thing I weighed one week ago. I can't say that I'm not disappointed that I haven't lost at least 1 pound, but at the same time, I'm super happy that I haven't gained either. I can definitely live with the fact that I have maintained the same weight. I talked to a co-worker this morning who mentioned when he visited a dietician, he didn't lose any pounds the first 2 weeks, then after that he began losing. His dietician told him it was completely normal. Have any of your had the same results with MFP?

Replies

• SusannaTuttaPanna
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories for about 2 weeks, running one hour twice a week and lifting a bit and I don't think I have lost any weight at all. Strange. Don't really want to live on 1000 calories a day either.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I didnt my first week but the week after i lost 2lb :)
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It took me a full month before I lost a single pound!
  • clull0919
    Options
    It took me about 3 weeks of solidly eating healthy and light exercise to see any loss, then 4lbs came off! I would evaluate your carbs and sugars and see if they are within your goals. They both snuck up on me, that's for sure! I still don't get the balance quite right, but it really opened my eyes. Hope I could help! =)
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person, but it is quite common. For instance, for me it took 2 weeks before I lost anything, but then when I did, it was 5 pounds. I was drinking a lot more water than I had been before, so it must've been that. Just keep going, it does pay off.
  • mscarr51
    mscarr51 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    just starting today. hoping I can lose something.:smile::flowerforyou:
  • SusannaTuttaPanna
    Options
    Is it possible that it's harder to lose weight when you're not overweight and only looking to lose a few pounds? I want to lose about 8 lbs to reach a weight of more or less 116 lbs. I have been rather chunky before and lost weight very quickly then! Just curious.
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump up your Calories and hit the cardio with all you've got be consistent and make sure your diet is clean :) heard it 1000 times? lol it's the only way, although, some folk are lucky they don't have to work hard to shift the gunk. But anyway, try cranking up your intake to around 1500. Good luck
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's hard not to focus on the scale. I try to take a long view, which is that MFP helps me make healthy changes one day at a time. And you can see those healthy changes quantified in the food diary and in the way you feel. Or, at least I do.

When I first started MFP, I found myself stepping on the scales way too many times and letting the number I recorded control my mood and motivation. So I made a deal with myself to step back, weigh once a week (and record it), and to stay focused on positive changes--am I managing to limit my carbs, am I controlling my sodium intake, am I getting enough fiber, etc.
  • SusannaTuttaPanna
    Options
    I don't even have a scale but my jeans are just as tights as they were before! ;-) And the strange thing is even today when I have almost 600 calories left I don't feel hungry.. maybe 1200 calories a day is still too much? I spend most of my day sitting in class at university, so not burning too many calories then! Maybe it's just a plateau thing and in a week or so there will be some results! :-)
  • cherylroyle
    Options
    Yeah, afraid so, i've been on it a week and am the same as well. One of my best friends is a dietician and she said the same thing. Here's to next week!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It could be that your metabolism hasn't caught up yet to your intake. I've also heard people say that they had to bump up their cals even further to 1400 cals and after that they lost more weight. Of course, doing that will take a lot of backbone, because you'll likely see some initial water weight gain before your body starts expelling food/water quicker.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200calories for 10 weeks. Some weeks I saw no change, then suddenly I was down 2lbs here and there.
    If I average it all out, I lost 1lb per week.

I haven't lost anything this week. I also gained 0.5" on my arms.

I checked my Body Fat with a trainer and I am at 23.7% body fat. Big change from last week when it was 25.6%.

I find people are hung up on the scale number and ignore all the other measurements.

Here are the numbers I track:
    Heart rate during and after exercise
    Thigh, calf, arm, waist, hip measurements
    Weight
    Body fat %
    Calories burn
    Calories consummed
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    I lost 3lbs the first week actually.
  • SusannaTuttaPanna
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Will wait until next week and then we'll see what happens! :-)
  • c_hodge
    c_hodge Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for replying and for all the information!! I'm definitely not giving up, gonna try some new things and here's to next week!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It took about 3 weeks for me to see a loss, then I started losing regularly.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a scale but my jeans are just as tights as they were before! ;-) And the strange thing is even today when I have almost 600 calories left I don't feel hungry.. maybe 1200 calories a day is still too much? I spend most of my day sitting in class at university, so not burning too many calories then! Maybe it's just a plateau thing and in a week or so there will be some results! :-)

You're under eating which is causing your body to hold on to what little fuel it's getting to keep from starving. Eat the calorie number MFP gave you when you signed on and then eat most of the extra calories you earn through your workouts. Your body needs fuel to burn fat, fuel is food!
  • mscarr51
    mscarr51 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    no one seams to be looking at my post. I have the same problem, I go to the gym mon,tues,thurs,fri, sat-sun. I have only lose 3 lbs since I stated,two month ago. I will start juicing tomorrow.

any suggestion on this.
    I do need help to start, what is for breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe a snack

Can someone give me an idea.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It took me a full month before I lost a single pound!

Me too! A whole month of exercising, lifting, cardio and core work an hour a day at the gym plus eating within my calories, and I didn't lose anything until the fourth week. Even then, I have only lost eight pounds in three months.

But I have lost four inches in my waist and three in my hips. And body fat percentage has gone down. So my advice is don't fret about the scale. It is going to make you nuts. Take measurements and find out what your body fat percentage is by using a caliper thing. You can get one at the drug store or your gym can let you use theirs. Go by those, not the scale. I look so much better and I am more toned than before and I am fitting into shorts I haven't worn in four years!

And don't give up!