No motivation

Options
Here I go with yet another diet. I can barely make myself start it. So many let downs and regaining the weight. Each time gets harder to start again. Any great words of advice to motivate me? I feel like this weight is slowly killing me.
I have never responded to a message board before. I usually keep everything inside. I guess this is a cry for help.

Replies

• jrkmomma
    jrkmomma Posts: 9
    Options
    I am also starting a diet program to help me lose weight and hopefully gain self-confidence. While I am using the assistance of a medical doctor to get me on the right track, I hope MFP will aide me in learning what and what not to eat. Feel free to add me for some moral support. We can all use someone in our corner, right!?
  • lovepe
    lovepe Posts: 14
    Options
    I think I'm in the same boat as you! :/
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I think it's great you have joined MFP. It can be really difficult to motivate yourself, especially when in the past you feel that things haven't worked out. Hopefully with the help of friends on MFP though you can get started on your journey.
    This account is fresh but I have been around here previously and found the advice from different members really helpful, as well as the friendship.
    I think the hardest thing is starting it and then hopefully with support from others, you can stick with it.

Here what I like is that you don't have to eat certain foods and whilst your calorie allowance is set, it can be changed if you do more exercise etc so you aren't restricted like you are on other diets.

x
  • ssappy44
    ssappy44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well, 13 lbs lost since January... very slow but I'm okay with it. Finally realizing that it is a lifestyle change, not a period of weight loss. Some days it's up and some it's down... but if you are using more calories than you eat, in the long run... it's just gotta' come off. My biggest issue was too large of portions... so even if I didn't alter the types of foods I ate, I would still by healthier when not eating for 2! Biggest advice would be love yourself and lots of forgiveness!
    I try and eat as "close to the earth" as possible... you know, minimizing processed foods....but I bet you know "how" to lose weight, just need the giddyup! Feel for you... you are worth it!
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The weight didn't go on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight. You are doing this for you and no one else! Also, don't think of it as a "DIET". Think of it as a "lifestyle change". Good luck! :)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I can say to motivate you but...this site has helped me a lot. Measuring my food has been critical, I have a scale on my kitchen counter, and measuring cups, portions are so easy to get wrong, and I got a fitbit and I get a little obsessed trying to get those numbers up all the time. I also think if you can think lifestyle adjustment and not so much temporary diet. Don't deny yourself any one thing all the time, not too many people can live like that. life's too short not to eat cupcakes but you have to calculate it in. OCCASIONAL splurges are ok. Good luck!
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Also, don't think of it as a "DIET". Think of it as a "lifestyle change". Good luck! :)

Great advice. I'm tired of hearing people saying that they have started a new protein diet, or no carb diet, or vegan diet or some other crazy market BS...

I have this girl at work who think she is going to go from very large to skinny, just by 'dieting'. Dieting will help you keep off weight, but it wont help get rid of what you've already got.

If you have more calories going out than you have coming in, you'll see success. You dont have to 'diet', just control how much you eat and EXERCISE :)
  • amsaunders0313
    Options
    I had tried so many diets but didn't give them a chance. I've been using the site for 3 weeks and have never felt better or more confident that I'll succeed this time. I get to eat what I want just less of it. The friends I have on here have been a great source of support! Add me. And we can continue to healthier bodies together!
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The weight didn't go on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight. You are doing this for you and no one else! Also, don't think of it as a "DIET". Think of it as a "lifestyle change". Good luck! :)

Exactly. Look at it this way and it shouldnt feel like a burden.

Some final food for thoughts:

:smile: When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, Show life you have a thousand reasons to smile.:smile:
  • ssappy44
    ssappy44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very much agree with the scale and measuring devices until you've got an eye for proportions! It's soooo easy to under-estimate what you have on your plate!:noway:
  • ValReaves
    ValReaves Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm a kind of slow and steady sort of person. I've lost 12 lbs. since February and there are many that are racing past me. And that's totally OK.. The great thing about MFP is the support that is here. Whether you lose at a higher rate or at a slower rate, there is always someone to cheer the accomplishment. Please feel free to send a friend request, ...it would be my pleasure to give you an encouraging word!
  • eaner1965
    Options
    Kudos to you for reaching out to others. This is my first time on the message boards, too! Friday I went to the Dr. for a physical. Wasn't feeling well, either (achy, tired, foggy). Found out that I had gained back almost 30 pounds that I had lost several years ago. Might sound crazy that someone wouldn't know, but I think I just shut it out. Cried for about two hours and then picked myself up and decided to start again. Losing it is the easy part, committing to changing your eating habits for good is much harder. For me, food is an addiction and fighting it is a daily battle. Having tools like MFP will, hopefully, help me win the war.
  • nyjocool
    nyjocool Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just joined tonight after hearing great things about MyFitnessPal. I am excited to start this journey, but wish I had more motivation. I am a very busy lady and will have to make the time to buy and make the right foods as well as exercise. I increased the protein percentage in the settings. Here's to the start of a long and successful journey!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Here I go with yet another diet. I can barely make myself start it. So many let downs and regaining the weight. Each time gets harder to start again. Any great words of advice to motivate me? I feel like this weight is slowly killing me.
    I have never responded to a message board before. I usually keep everything inside. I guess this is a cry for help.

You made a great step on joining MFP and also talking on the message boards.

Don't call this a diet. I'm going on my third week and I refuse to call it a diet. It IS a lifestyle change. I don't want to eat like I did before ever again. I want to be healthy. I want to eat healthy food.

Feel free to add me as a friend and also consider adding some of my friends. They have already been great at motivating me.

Keep your head up. You CAN do this! :)
  • shannp
    shannp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. As others have already said, stop thinking of this as a diet and more a lifestyle change. The changes you make to your food and exercise need to be sustainable long term to ensure that once you have lost the weight you never put it back on.

I have never been one for exercise in the past, but unfortunately age is catching up and everything else is slowing down and expanding. So for the first time in my life I am now having to be accountable for what and how much is going in my mouth and to be sure to move a lot more.

I purchased the FitBit to help me see how much or how little I move around during the day, I get off the lift one or two floors early so i can take the stairs the rest of the way. I still indulge in most of the foods I adore, but just have smaller amounts and not everyday.

I also prefer not measure the results by standing on the scales. If you dont record any loss (accoridng to the scales) you can become despondent about the whole thing. I have founf doing measurements works better as I can feel the results when my clothes start to feel looser :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a "lifestyle change."
    ...and even as a lifestyle change, don't think you have to change everything all at once, especially if you have a history of not following through. I'm a big believer in "habit" as a sustaining tool for a better lifestyle. However, you will be more successful at developing habits if you can focus on them. It's easier to focus on them when they are manageable, and manageable might mean tackling just a few at a time. When those are in place, add a couple of new ones.