Bored with current work out!

Options
So help anyone I am growing so bored of my work out to the point now that when I get to the gym (when I convince myself to go) I don't do anything really but a light work out.

Any tips to change things up to actually continue to have fun with working out?

I normal go on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes or two miles than random weight lifting for my arms and legs, stretching, and a few crunches.

This is what I always do though and I'm very bored and not seeing results that I want.

Help? Tips? Thanks!

Replies

• tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do things I like to do. ! of them is dancing so I do that and you get the workout. Another thing I like to do is walk n play basketball. I am hoping to be able to play when it gets warmer out.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have been having this problem too. i have been running and doing traditional workouts. i decided as my programs ended this weekend to add some fun. so for my next program i am trying dancing. just anything different really. i can go back to running and lifting at any time. if the dancing is not quite right or enough then i will add something.
  • bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    u don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout! zumba and hip hop abs videos are my favorite! they are loads of fun and the ones i purchased each came with like 5 different workouts to switch up so i don't get bored with doin the same one everyday... also i offer to be dd when i go out with my friends and dance like the whole night! dancing burns tons of calories and is super fun... :)
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got bored with my workout so now I do different things each day of the week. Various sports, trail running, swimming, yoga, hiking, biking, rollerblading and just walking with friends. In fact I've gotten to the point that I don't workout in gyms anymore cause I can't do it, I don't work hard enough and can't motivate myself to go anymore. I also do classes like water aerobics and zumba and tae bo. I've also managed to loose 30 pounds sans gym and improve my fitness by leaps and bounds.

Just find something you enjoy, try new things, go with people, join classes, get outside, basically mix it up and don't be afraid to think outside the gym.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    What are your aims??? I would suggest doing a nice split weight lifting workout
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you don't see results if you don't mix it up.

What about a stationary bike or a stair stepper? Something that'll change it up just a little bit. On a bike, you could read!!!!
  • rachaellynn91
    Options
    My aims are to build up my abs and I toned up my arms and legs a lot but I want stronger abs. Over all I just want to be healthier. I have no problem with the size clothing I wear or anything like that I just want to be healthy.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I have given up so many times. When I got bored, I would just quit.

But not this time. I decided to join the gym in January and take as many of the Les Mills classes that I could take. I take one to two classes per day Mon thru Fri. Bodypump is a weightlifting class and Bodycombat is a great cardio class. Lots of gyms offer these classes. You can ask your gym if they offer them. They are amazing and not boring at all!
  • rachaellynn91
    Options
    Also thanks everyone for all the advise that was so fast and awesome I love to dance so I think that sounds like a great tip and whenever I am at the gym I always avoided the bikes cause I thought that if I was sitting I wasn't working out fully I will give them a try thank you!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do my workout at home, and I have about 10 different types of programs to choose from. I get bored VERY easily, so once I master the moves of a work out, it gets boring if I do it every day.
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try boxing or kickboxing. Pretty much an all-in-one total body workout.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hip hop Abs might be something you find interesting or Brazil Butt Lift... Zumba... all of those can be accomplished at home cutting out your commute to and from the gym.
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    there are a lot of dvd programs out there and so on, but to be honest I would do a nice weight lifting routine.. Do you attend a gym???

Doing things such as squats, dead lilfts and so on will get you looking freaking amazing! :D
  • shannp
    shannp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe set yourself bigger and harder targets to achieve when using the cardio equipment. If that doesnt help, then maybe look at doing a Pump Class which will improve your strength and cardio at the same time. Zumba is also a great way to burn those calories. Might suggest even finding a friend to workout with as that always seems give that little bit of extra motivation.

Dont give up, just find alternative ways to achieve your goals :)
  • rachaellynn91
    Options
    I do have a gym membership and I try to go at least twice a week and I do a lot of weight lifting but normally I keep it around the 60lb for arms and 85-100lb for legs depending on what I am doing. I'm getting to the point where I don't feel as challenged and I want more but I'm so bored. I haven't tired any tapes or work out classes I might give those a try too thanks!
  • jodibefitvegan
    jodibefitvegan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice already. Changing your routine up and having an accountability group is a great way to stay on track. Do you think you would like working out at home with a video instead of at the gym?
  • shannp
    shannp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of getting a personal trainer for a while too? I go to gym and do my own workouts, but find when I see my PT once a week, he pushes me further than I thought I could go. This then keeps me motivated for the next week until I see him again :)
  • stayxtrue
    Options
    I do have a gym membership and I try to go at least twice a week and I do a lot of weight lifting but normally I keep it around the 60lb for arms and 85-100lb for legs depending on what I am doing. I'm getting to the point where I don't feel as challenged and I want more but I'm so bored. I haven't tired any tapes or work out classes I might give those a try too thanks!

Suss out bodybuilding.com and have a look at some of the routines for girls... You will be surprised at the challenging workouts on there! That will be sure to keep you motivated and excited
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical. Can't stand the darn thing cuz I am so bored. I did Insanity and loved it.

I would take different gym classes, other people or videos seems to get my butt in gear, :)
  • rachaellynn91
    Options
    I feel like if I am at home I'm more likely to relax than work out which is why I keep my gym stuff in the car so that if I go home for it I'm not tempted to stay home. And I can't afford the personal trainer though I think it would be a lot of fun. College lol it can be wonderful and pricey.